PDA

View Full Version : Really anxious about my holiday!

shotokansho
01-05-12, 19:38
Hi everyone!

I haven't been around for a while...I just need to talk to someone. I'm going to Malta on Friday this week. It's my first family holiday with my sons and we are going with two family friends. I've always been nervous about flying because eight years ago I had DVT. I finally plucked up the courage and flew to Spain, I was fine after that. I have now flown to Spain a few times and don't feel as afraid.
I don't know why it's happening now, maybe it's because it's the first time I have been away with the kids, or maybe it's because it's somewhere I have never been and there is an extra hour on the flight? We booked this holiday two weeks ago and all the time I have been feeling sick with worry, not sleeping and having disturbing thoughts about horrible things that could happen. I am also terrified that I'm going to develop a DVT and die. The mad thing is, it's not fear of the plane crashing, this is purely health fears.
We are hiring a car when we arrive and I'm convinced that we are going to crash because someone told me that the people in Malta drive a little erratically.
At the moment I am feeling unwell with a tummy bug and having quite bad back pain. I am worried that it's something horrible and I'm going to end up seriously ill in hospital while in Malta or I'm going to die from some mystery illness.
I went to see my GP last week and she prescribed me 14 2mg diazepam tablets but they are not doing very much to relieve my anxieties. I just want to feel happy and excited about this holiday, and I want the kids to feel relaxed too, but they are not going to if they see their mum being totally weird.
Just need some reassuring advice and thoughts...Thanks guys xx

Kez xx

dianna
05-05-12, 11:24
Don't be nervous, enjoy yourself....

bigmo
05-05-12, 12:13
Its the uncertain, I've got a holiday coming up at the end of the month, and its the thought of leaving my comfort zone that puts me off. The good thing is though your with friends..

SG
05-05-12, 16:35
This happens to me every single time I plan a holiday. I worry that I won't make it because something bad will happen to stop me. I also worry that I will make it but something terrible will happen when I'm there like illness or a crash, or even getting attacked by locals after I read a story in the paper. Lately too I started to worry that I'd be so anxious in the lead up to my holiday that I'd ruin the experience for myself by not looking forward to it and feeling excited etc. I try to comfort myself by just thinking that there are thousands who have the same fears and something bad can't possibly happen to every single one. Also once I'm there my anxiety always melts away so I just try to think of that. I know that's not much help right now but i just wanted to let you know you're definitely not alone in this.

Mimi86
07-05-12, 20:31
This also happens to me every single time I go away. And believe it or not, I travel a lot! And every single time the trip is approaching, I think to myself "Why am I doing this to myself again??!" The thing is, after a day or two, I relax and end up enjoying myself. However, the anticipatory anxiety about travelling has become debilitating. Like you, I'm not so much afraid of the plane crashing (though it is a thought), I am afraid of being anxious and panicky and getting sick on the plane or on the trip, having to be in the hospital and ruining everyone else's vacation.

I just got back from an 8 day trip to Paris on Friday (my third time going there), and the anxiety before the trip was so bad, I couldn't eat for almost a week. The problem this time is that my boyfriend was also leaving with his parents on a trip to visit his sister and niece in Australia for over 3 weeks, 3 days after I was to leave for Paris. I was an absolute wreck. Not only was I worried about my problems, I was worried about him (and I still am :(). There was one point on the plane that I really didn't think I was going to make it and that I would die of anxiety.

While it wasn't my best trip since I still had my boyfriend to be worried about, I was with my friend and sister in my favourite place and I still managed to have a good time.

The worst part is leading up to the trip, once you get there and settle in, I'm sure you will feel much better. Have a good time! :)