PDA

View Full Version : Need advice reguarding MRI ASAP please ?

AngelHeart
02-05-12, 09:44
I'm due an MRI scan this afternoon for a balance problem I've been having and pulsatile tinnitus. The balance problem has improved and the tinnitus disspeard 5 weeks ago. I'm not worried about the MRI but I dont want to have the contrast dye as Ive read up about the side affects and its worried me sick so was wondering if I could refuse this. I need to know opinions asap as my appointment is at 3.45 this afternoon. Thanks very much. xxx

LAURA48
02-05-12, 09:52
Hi - yes you can refuse it - I believe, but give it some serious thought there may be a strong reason why is was requested in the first place. Contrast scans are more accurate and show up everything. Could you phone your GP and express your concerns - he/she may be able to put your mind at rest.

AngelHeart
02-05-12, 09:56
I'm going to see my GP this morning so was going to mention it to him, but I'm amadant I dont want it lol xx Thanks for replying !

nomorepanic
02-05-12, 10:15
Have the contrast - you will be fine because if you don't you will never know if the MRI was really accurate cos it will play on your mind.

I have never known anyone on this forum have a reaction to it and we have had a lot of MRI scans done between members

AngelHeart
02-05-12, 10:24
There was a condition I had read about called NFS which is to do with your kidneys, basically a couple of months after having the contrast your kidneys fail. Now I cant get this out of my head as although I have had the blood tests for the kidneys to see if they are functioning ok I have got one underdeveloped kidney which obviously Ive started to worry about. :huh:

xtremx
02-05-12, 10:48
Hi Angelheart.

Your concerns are fully understandable and you should take them up with your doctor if anything to put you at easy. I had my mri with contrast before christmas and never had any side effects and still don't.
I believe you will be fine, it is a case that you are maybe over complacting matters by searching the web and picking on yhe negative effects and over ruling the positive of having the scan done and hopefully getting to the bottom of things.

Goodluck for this afternoon. Relax and don't go to sleep having it done as it is boring for abour 15-20 mins