PDA

View Full Version : nasal decongestant

scottinhull
02-05-12, 17:51
Hi guys, just wondering..

I've been using nasal decongestant for about 6 years now and last year time I started getting real light headaches and ear pains, just wondering what the symptoms are over overuse of decongestants? And could it suddenly kick in now after 6 years? I've been fine previously, I'm worrying about what it might be constantly and I've started getting muscle twitching all over my body. Any help please?

K1rsty
02-05-12, 17:55
Hi - Headache and ear pain can be linked to sinus problems. I would suggest calling NHS Direct or speaking to your GP re nasal decongestant and your symptoms though. Hope you feel better soon :)

scottinhull
02-05-12, 18:14
Hey thanks so much for the reply! But wouldn't it have kicked in years ago? Why would it start all of a sudden now?

K1rsty
02-05-12, 18:25
Sometimes we can be immune to things for years then all of a sudden become allergic/ react to them. I think the type of decongestant you use may also be relevant. Some can cause inflammation in the sinuses due to what they contain. This in turn can cause sinus symptoms to never go. Your symptoms could be irritation or sinus problems. I would see your GP - best bet. He is qualified and knows whats what. I hope it clears up soon and I hope what I wrote makes sense!

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

Ps sorry have no idea re the muscle twitching but best to speak to your GP about it all. He/she will put your mind at rest as they have the medical knowledge and know your medical history etc. Let me know how it goes :)

xtremx
02-05-12, 18:30
Hi scottinhull.

Using over the counter nasal decongestant over a long period off time can be bad for you sinuses, I was hooked on them for about 14 years Vicks this and vicks that constantly sticking one in my nose not knowing thay can cause problams if used constantly.

I now take anti allergy tablets that seem to do the trick for my sinus. If you are using things like inhaler nasal stick the best thing is to stop using.

scottinhull
02-05-12, 19:33
Thanks so much foryour reply, did you have any side effects from using it for so long? I tend to use the spray literally 24/7

scottinhull
07-05-12, 15:51
Bump! Anyone else?