PDA

View Full Version : Calcium supplements and Redbush tea

StressedEric
02-05-12, 23:36
I have been prescribed calcium tablets by my GP this week due to having reduced bone density. These are the chewable ones with Vit D3 and take one tab twice a day.

I also drink Redbush tea and have been for a long time as it is known to have health benefits. I just remembered that Redbush also contains calcium as well and worried if it is safe to take both the supplements and continue to drink the tea. I'm concerned that I may be getting too much calcium?

I dont have more than a couple of cups of the tea each day max.

I think the tablets contain 500mg of calcium but dont know how much calcium is in the tea which is worrying me.

I am probably being silly and worrying about nothing but would really appreciate if anyone could help and put my mind at rest as I am concerned that I am doing myself more harm than good!

suzy-sue
02-05-12, 23:59
Hi Eric ..Adults between the ages of nineteen and fifty need 1000 milligrams of calcium per day, which adults aged fifty one and over need to increase their calcium intake to 1200 milligrams per day.
If you are taking a supplement to get your daily calcium make sure you are also taking magnesium (http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/article_1391.shtml) with it.
Magnesium is the transport that brings the calcium to your cells. The ratio of magnesium to calcium should be 2:1. In other words if you are taking 1200mg of calcium you should also be taking 600mg of magnesium for a complete solution....Hope this helps ..T/c Sue

StressedEric
03-05-12, 07:38
Thanks for the info Sue. If the tabs are effectively giving me 1000mg calcium 500mg x2 which is what the recommended amount is and if the redbush tea does contain quite a lot of calcium I dont know if I should continue drinking it? Dont want to be taking in more calcium than I should be.

suzy-sue
03-05-12, 13:51
It wont hurt Eric ..it doesnt all get absorbed .As long as you are healthy the excess is disposed of via your Kidneys ..So drink plenty of water based drinks, and you will be fine ..t/c.xSue