PDA

View Full Version : Anxious about parents going on holiday

Lizard1992
03-05-12, 16:10
Hi everyone, my parents go on holiday tomorrow and I will be staying at home with my older sister. I am just getting really anxious about been alone as my sister is at work 4 of the 7 days and she will be there all day till late at night.
This is getting me really worried, I have been in the house by myself all day today and just broke down crying. I kept hearing noises which scared me.
I don't want to be worrying and upsetting my mam and dad before they go on holiday but I just feel really scared :weep:

Is there anything anyone could suggest to help me through this week, I have something planned for near enough everyday and have my thearpy session next week.
Thanks Lizard

nicola1980
03-05-12, 16:28
Hi i know exactly how you feel infact my parents had to cancel their 2 wk holiday as i was in such a state about them going and im a married 32yr old mum of 1 :blush: my mums my safe person when my anxiety and panic is bad, all i can recommend is you try and keep yourself busy and the wk will fly by, good luck x x

grotbags
03-05-12, 16:34
I remember a time, at the height of my anxiety, when my mum went on holiday and I stayed at the house (housebound) on my own. It was the bright idea of the mental health crisis team, who decided that not only should my mother not stay around looking after me, but they also encouraged her to take a holiday and leave me alone mid-breakdown. I'm still not sure whether that mental health team had the right idea or not.

Anyway, I just kind of focussed on house work and stuff. Sounds boring but actually it was nice. I changed my room around, sorted out my wardrobes, did lots of cooking. Cooking is one of my favourite things when I have to stay in alone. It can be quite relaxing to follow a recipe, especially a time-consuming one, so perhaps you could look up some recipes and get the ingredients for the week.

Another thing is the internet. My laptop is so important to me! Perhaps spend this week having early night and late mornings, watching lots of films and tv, and doing cooking and sorting out the house. Good time for a spring clean :)

You'll be surprised at how well you adapt to them not being there! It's weird at first, but I think you'll get used to it. The week will probably go so fast.

london
03-05-12, 16:43
why not go in the chat room then your not alone
try it
god bless

LAURA48
03-05-12, 17:26
Hi - I am sure it will be fine - know it is slightly different but my anxiety surfaced again before Xmas - I am married and live about quarter of a mile from my mum and dad - but went back to them - as feel safe with my mum. Had been getting no better really - had to see a psychiatrist and he told me I must go back home to husband - can see mum and dad in the day, etc, well I was frightened at first (sounds silly) but tbh and felt better - nowhere near as bad as I thought - we do adapt and you have friends on here. Been staying on my own (with pup) when husband on nights too!

Keep in touch with the site - with likeminded people - you'll be fine xxx

Lilyblue
03-05-12, 17:33
hi, my mums been on holiday loads since ive had anxiety, and im left with my brother who at work most days, who has to do all the shopping for me as i wont leave house. i get anxiety books from library to read to keep me calm, and write out a calender and every night id cross off the days and it goes quick. i watch a load of films too,
as i would be anxious im usually ready for bed by 6pm when im alone, makes me calmer. just think a week or two does go quick. my mums goin away for a week soon too. i have to make sure im stocked up on food too.

BobbyDog
03-05-12, 18:35
I understand where you are coming from, I am 46 and have a 15 year old son.
My Mum went to Turkey 5 weeks and 5 days ago and she is not back until 19/5.
I can empathize with you as I also feel the same. Anxious.
I have found ways to keep busy, this site is a fantastic help at any time, there is always someone awake. I keep the television on day and night, not when I am sleeping, but, you could put the radio on when you go to sleep.
If you can't relax enough to read a book, try wordsearch puzzles, which is easy and takes little consentration. Your sister could probably get you one from the Newsagents or Supermarket.

lizzie29
03-05-12, 22:00
Hi Lizard

I'm the same, so don't feel you're alone. Try to see lots of people if you can, so you don't feel alone. If you have something planned for each day then you've got something to focus on and aim for. Lots of books, films, etc. Leave lights on if it helps. And obviously people on here will support you :)

xxx

Jenwales
06-05-12, 08:39
Hi. I've been there and trust me after a few times of them going on holiday you get used to it. You will be fine. You might have upset moments or bad feelings but everything will be perfectly fine. If you can't think of anything good to do while they're not there- tv for example nobody to argue with about it. Then just tell yourself they be back soon and you're not alone your sister is there.
I was completely alone. We all have to go through this at some point so see it as a growing point, a challenge.
Looks like you've done well in thinknig of things to do.