PDA

View Full Version : Any Suggestions for Weaning off Cipralex?

stomper1999
03-05-12, 18:41
Well , after two years on 10mg Cipralex I have decided that I am ready to wean off the meds. I feel stable and level and my lifestyle has a better work / life balance, and feel it is time to come off them . . .

Has anyone any suggested "ramp down" plans to get off Cipralex? I am aware that SSRI's have a "discontinuation syndrome" and so mine plan is to come off very gradual, over a period of months . . .

Would appreciate anyone sharing their experiences in weaning off the meds, what worked for you and how you coped with the effects of discontinuation and how you are dealing with anxiety / depression without Cipralex! :)

Thanks,

Ric

smb25
04-05-12, 19:19
Have no advice except to say good luck and remember slow slow slow............

Ingenious
05-05-12, 00:58
It's good to read you plan to do this over a few months. The longer you do this over the softer landing you will get. I'm sure it is possible to come off these with no ill effects if you have the time and patience. However not everyone experiences much in the way of withdrawal effects so don't assume you will.

I would guess your next dose down would be 5mg (either a 5mg tablet or half a 10mg one). Maybe then it would be 5mg for a month or so then come off them.

I'd also see your doctor first for guidance, in case there is any other way to approach this.

Lots of people come off this type of medication when they feel ready and continue successfully with their recovery. It is a huge step of course and we always worry what life will be like and whether we can cope. But remember, you are in no rush and you can always go back on them if you need to. If you feel the time is right though, you'll almost certainly be fine when you're off them.

alwaysanxious
25-06-12, 22:51
been on mine 2 years 2, have missed some doses for a day here and there, the most i got to was 3 days then started having brain zaps every 5 minutes which is unpleasant but can cope also really heavy dull headaches. nost of the time this happens is when i forget to take them and i only remember when i have these symtoms . The reason i want to come off mine and ask a question is ive gained 2 stone scince being on mine and i hardley eat!!!!!!! the weight is causing me strwess as i dont feel comfortable with it plus had to go up 2 sizes !!!!!! i would imagine ric is that every other day take one then every other 2 days , thatys what i did before and was fine... i need to come off them to see if my weight drops buit at same time am scared.... surely there not working now after all this time.
keep me posted let me know how you get on.

lisa.:)

grotbags
27-07-12, 22:57
I tapered off by cutting down a quarter of a tablet every six weeks. I still had withdrawal problems with it but I'm very sensitive to meds - not everyone does. I kind of wish I'd stayed on the 2.5mg dosage for a few months in a way, because I found that it helped me even at that dose.

kes6901
17-09-12, 18:44
Well , after two years on 10mg Cipralex I have decided that I am ready to wean off the meds. I feel stable and level and my lifestyle has a better work / life balance, and feel it is time to come off them . . .

Has anyone any suggested "ramp down" plans to get off Cipralex? I am aware that SSRI's have a "discontinuation syndrome" and so mine plan is to come off very gradual, over a period of months . . .

Would appreciate anyone sharing their experiences in weaning off the meds, what worked for you and how you coped with the effects of discontinuation and how you are dealing with anxiety / depression without Cipralex! :)

Thanks,

Ric
I've been on Cipralex for almost 2 years i was on 20mg and weaned myself down to 5 mg a day now im only taking it once or twice a week when i start to feel dizzy. Not sure if this is ok. ive been doing this for almost 2 months or more and still get dizzyness. think i should ask my doctor? as im not taking it for its effectivness anymore just want to get it out of my system. What do you thing?

clio51
17-09-12, 18:49
my doc told me that if you are only taking it like that its a waste of time because it's not really in your system hence the dizzyness you should always ask the doc how to ween of and very very slowly