PDA

View Full Version : New to pregabalin what side effects should I expect?

ElizabethJane
03-05-12, 22:25
I hav been prescribed a very low dose of pregabalin for my back pain 50mg with a view to increasing it if I find it beneficial. I am wondering what side effects I should expect as the patient leaflet runs to two pages? At the moment I have experienced a dry mouth and fatigue. Can I still drink a glass of wine? (am on lithium and mirtazapine as well) Does it make you put on weight? Are there any sexual side effects (I am female) Thank you in advance. EJ

JT69
04-05-12, 10:50
Hi EJ

I found that I felt sleepy and a little dizzy when I first started taking it but nothing unbearable...50mg is a low dose to start on as well and that helps...I think I started on 50mg as well.

I do drink the odd glass of wine (and sometimes more) and am fine just feel extra sleepy. No sexual side effects for me but I do think it does have a tendancy to make you gain weight but I know you are very careful with your weight so I doubt it would effect you in this way...lets hope not anyway.

Good luck with it and if you want to know any more please ask and I will try and help...obviously these are my own personal experiences so hopefully others will reply.

TC
Jo.x

ElizabethJane
04-05-12, 11:21
hi Jo thanks for replying. I have experienced the sleepiness but I'm signed off work at the moment so it does not really matter. I noticed that it can cause weight gain but I'm doing really well with a weight loss programme so I shall stick to that. I have still been in a lot of pain this morning so I have take valium and paracetamol as well. I worry about the sex thing but again it is probably too early to tell. Thanks for your input Jo I hope that you are ok? I am stable on my other meds. EJ

dan1234
05-05-12, 15:19
No impact on my sex life - guy though. The SSRI antidepressants are a different kettle of fish.

JT69
05-05-12, 16:50
hi Jo thanks for replying. I have experienced the sleepiness but I'm signed off work at the moment so it does not really matter. I noticed that it can cause weight gain but I'm doing really well with a weight loss programme so I shall stick to that. I have still been in a lot of pain this morning so I have take valium and paracetamol as well. I worry about the sex thing but again it is probably too early to tell. Thanks for your input Jo I hope that you are ok? I am stable on my other meds. EJ

Hi EJ

Sorry to hear that you are in pain...I do hope that it helps with that for you...I am fine at the moment thanks (mentally anyway) I just struggle with the pain in my knees (the pregabalin hasnt helped that though that wasnt what I take it for)...I have started physio at my GP surgery so hoping that will help as I am unable to exercise and this is not helping with my weight. I used to be so active!! How things can change!!

Things could be worse!!

You take care and I hope your pain eases soon.

Jo.xx

KK77
05-05-12, 17:47
I'm on a much higher dose than you for fibro pain which is what it is specifically licensed for. But I know your intolerances and problems with first-line painkillers so perhaps it will be beneficial, although you will definitely need to increase soon.

Side effects-wise, I experienced dizziness initially which wore off after a couple of weeks and increased appetite which doesn't bother me now tbh. All in all, I have had more annoying side effects from sertraline. Sexual side effects were never an issue for me but I'm not sure how it would affect a female re libido and orgasms.

Good luck with it - hope it helps with your pain problem EJ.

ElizabethJane
06-05-12, 15:48
Hi this is my third day on pregabalin. I think that it is making me a little drowsy. I am worried about increasing the dose as I am on lithium and mirtazapine as well. I'm still relying on the paracetamol and diazepam for back pain. It does not seem as bad as it was although I haven't been far. I haven't had increased appetite and only a little dizzy when getting up or trying to remove something from the oven! I am worried because I am on so many other meds. I'm not sure whether I want to be on this for long. EJ

JT69
07-05-12, 17:38
Hi EJ

Perhaps when you are able to increase your dose it will help so you wont need to take the paracetamol and diaz?

Have you been advised to stay on that dose or is it just a starter for you with a view to an increase?

I do hope you get some resbite soon...awful to be in pain.

Take care and let me know how you go.

Jo.x

ElizabethJane
08-05-12, 22:11
Hi Jo thanks for replying. I am now on day six of the pregabalin. I have stopped using the diazepan and have only used paracetamol twice but will have some more before bed. The pregabalin has made me more drowsy but I'm aware of it. I have also experienced the dreaded sexual side effects but at the moment not too bad. I am aware of being 'medicated' but that is probably because of the other meds I'm on. I had a frustrating afternoon as I was unable to reach my osteopath as there had been an accident on the A12 so all roads nearby were gridlocked. I have a GP appointment tomorrow but I am going to stick with the 50mg pregabalin and stop taking the paracetamol and see what happens. I don't want to take this long term because of the side effects. I'm also going back to work. EJ

ElizabethJane
13-05-12, 17:41
Not happy on pregabalin. I have not increased the dose and have stayed on 50mg. I want to come off it as I am scared of side effects if I increase. I have been prescribed pregabalin for pain relief. No weight gain the opposite but terrible 'runs' yesterday and feeling washed out. Is it the pregabalin? My 'pain' has not significantly increased but will wait until I have seen my GP to withdraw. EJ

JT69
15-05-12, 17:36
Hi EJ

Sorry to hear the pregabalin is not working out for you....do you mind me asking what side effects you are concerned about?

I think that in terms of pain from what I have read higher doses are more effective.

I only take 100mg at night and now 50mg each morning (have decreased slightley in the mornings) as I found sometimes it made me feel dozy in the morning a couple of hours after taking it so am guessing I dont need the full 100mg?? Shall see.

For me it has changed my life so much as far as general anxiety is concerned and am so thankful someone suggested it to me as my Gp didnt...unfortunately I seem to have always managed to sort myself out (drug wize) as I dont feel my GP knows enough about mental illness etc.

I wish you luck and hope you find an alternative should you decide to withdraw.

TC
Jo.x

dan1234
15-05-12, 21:21
Your dose is a joke. 50mg is such a low dose, it wouldn't take the pain away from a paper cut.

For pain you need to be around 300-600mg. Usually the higher end is needed.

ewood79
15-05-12, 21:47
Can I ask how this drug helps with Anxiety? It acts as some sort of mood stabilizer is that right?

ElizabethJane
15-05-12, 22:18
Your dose is a joke. 50mg is such a low dose, it wouldn't take the pain away from a paper cut.

For pain you need to be around 300-600mg. Usually the higher end is needed.

No it is not a joke. I find your post insulting. I was put onto pregabalin for back pain. I am very sensitive to drugs. You should keep those thoughts to yourself. EJ

dan1234
16-05-12, 22:22
Saying pregabalin isn't helpful and you are on 50mg/d is a joke.

It is like taking 0.5mg diazepam and saying my anxiety is still here.

Fair enough you are sensitive to medication, but don't expect miracles when you are not at a theraputic dose.

Dan

haz
17-05-12, 00:33
Dan - a "therapeautic" dose is an individual thing, at least that's what my psychiatrist says.

I sympathise with EJ as I am also very senstivie to meds. :)

dan1234
17-05-12, 08:49
Ok - I am sorry EJ.

True but guidelines are informed by trials, and of course there will be ranges. 50mg, is a 1/3 of the starting dose. 150mg starting figure isn't plucked out of thin air.

How about mst/ oramorph with cylizine and metoclopramide. A lot of tablets, but should prevent some of the side effects of morphine.

rockydog
17-05-12, 18:33
Hi i have also been put on 50 as very sensitive to medication, it's not unusual.I think it is helping even at this low dose but i know they will want to increase it a bit in time if im still ok. I dont take any other drug ever, not even an antibiotic and have been told by the doctor that means lower doses will still help x

cristine
15-06-12, 00:09
Hi EJ and Rocky D, I'm on low dose too (for anxiety) and though think probably need to increase slightly the difference already is amazing! guess I must be sensative to this med also!:shrug::winks:x

Ando1967
16-08-12, 00:19
How are you getting on EJ?
David

ElizabethJane
02-09-12, 22:11
hi Ando just revisiting on old thread. At the moment I'm not taking any pregabalin at all. I weaned myself off it in May. I would definitely use it for pain as I take lithium and am allergic to most other pain meds so I could only take paracetamol (useless) an allowed a little valium. My osteopath thinks that I have a problem with my discs in my back so if I have a flare up I will go on the pregabalin and increase the dose slowly. I did have problems with it feeling light headed and also numb and sexual inorgasm. A small price to pay for pain relief. It is a concern that if I need surgery again that they will give me morphine anyway and deal with nausea and vomiting with anti emetics. I would not write off the pregabalin. At least I have found out that I can tolerate it and it might be useful in the future knowing that I will need to build it up slowly and allow it time to get into my system. EJ