PDA

View Full Version : Thread Titles - please be considerate to other members

nomorepanic
03-05-12, 23:59
Hi all

Please can we be considerate to other members (and non-members browsing NMP) when we give our threads a title.

I am currently looking at some changes to the NMP forum due to some recent feedback and comments and one thing that is mentioned a lot is the thread titles.

There are a lot of threads stating things like "I have cancer", "I am going to die", "I have a brain tumour", "I can't live anymore" and these are on the whole untrue, unfounded and just a reaction to a symptom.

I appreciate that members may feel like this but as an outsider looking at the forum it is (to quote)

"all doom and gloom"
"depressing"
"too medical and nothing to do with panic/anxiety"
"more of a medical diagnosis site than a panic site"

So please can we think before we post and rephrase the title appropriately.

Thank You.

nomorepanic
04-05-12, 11:39
I have received a few hostile replies to my PM as the members thought it was aimed at them personally and this message was sent to all members and was not targetting any member in particular.

The comments made above were from members/non-members explaining why they have left NMP or joined and then left not long afterwards.

miss polly
04-05-12, 13:04
I think the problem is that nothing can please everybody all the time ~ or even some of the time! NMP suits me perfectly because I suffer from HA and can totally relate to posters terrified and panicking out of their minds that 'the end is nigh'. I appreciate other panickers don't panic about their health and wouldn't relate to this. It's a tricky one! If I've ever posted an alarmist title I apologise and certainly won't do so again. I would hate to think I'd put someone off this wonderful site.
It's certainly very difficult (impossible?) to cater to everybody's needs and requirements! xx

New Start
04-05-12, 14:22
Thank you for highlighting this issue. As a sufferer of medical anxiety the alarmist titles have really caused me problems! Hope I can use the site more often now. Cheers.

jimsmrs
04-05-12, 15:09
Well done Nicola.

london
04-05-12, 15:18
you did right nic
god bless

celticlass62
04-05-12, 18:18
you did right nicola god bless you lots of love celticlass xxxxxx:hugs:

littleredhen
04-05-12, 18:51
yes, well done for saying so. Though have to admit.... I had a right old panic when I read the email - I thought "oh no, what have I done now!?" quickly logged in to check my postings to see what I'd said wrong but then was super relieved to see the general thread here! lol! some kind of cbt going on there methinks!

Dnvgraphics2k12
04-05-12, 23:00
yes, well done for saying so. Though have to admit.... I had a right old panic when I read the email - I thought "oh no, what have I done now!?" quickly logged in to check my postings to see what I'd said wrong but then was super relieved to see the general thread here! lol! some kind of cbt going on there methinks!

Haha not the only one :P x

daisycake
05-05-12, 19:28

Yeah that was my reaction too, was worried!

nomorepanic
05-05-12, 19:39
Sorry if anyone thought it was aimed at them. I did put "Hi all" thinking people would realise it was going to all members.

LAURA48
05-05-12, 19:46
Hi Nic - I agree with the title thread thing but thought it was personal!

pinkdove
05-05-12, 20:03
hi nicola just my two pence worth got the pm and i did realise it was going to everyone, and i agree with the content, i know health anxiety is horrendous, but when members feel anxious and depressed, the last thing you want to see are headings with cancer, tumors death etc.

as always thanks for the web site, found it a lifesaver x

celticlass62
07-05-12, 12:50
thank you for this site nicola. I do appreciate it very much as a lot of members have been very helpful to me, so once again thank you for all your hard work nicola you do a great job. lots of love to you celticlass xxxxxxxx :hugs:

Mindful
12-05-12, 21:42
I too thought it was aimed at me personally and i thought ''eh'' i hadnt been on for a while and was pretty sure i have never wrote a title which would scare anyone..not intentionally anyway which i am pretty sure is the case for those who have scared anyone away.

Might be nice if people could add the words ''Please and Thanks'' to their titles too... i have seen a few that really come across as very demanding, HELP ME NOW ... erm no, ask again with the word 'Please' to your help me now demand and i will certainly try.

Also while i am in the venting mood lol Would be nice if people acknowledge people who arent inside the circle here, HI *waves* thats people like me, people who have taken the time to write out replies only to be ignored completely. Its very cliquey and i have no doubt that puts people off as much as scary titles do. Just getting my thoughts out there, very likely to be unpopular with the in crowd, but hey i doubt any of you will even read this post so what the hoo :)

Thats all i have to moan about today ;)

rockydog
17-05-12, 21:06
Without a dramatic title i have personally noticed you hardly get any replies (not that i have tried a dramatic title) but look at the reponses to IM GOING BLIND !!! or BRAIN TUMOUR compared to less alarming ones ?