PDA

View Full Version : I'm me again - without meds :)

lauz_lea
04-05-12, 09:27
It's been a long, rough road, but I finally feel like I've nearly reached my destination. I say nearly because I'm prepared for the bumps and pot holes in the road which I'm sure lay ahead.

I no longer wake with racing thoughts and churning anxiety in the pit of my stomache, I've gone back to work and am still building my hours back up to where I was before I tried AD meds again in November and since coming OFF the AD meds the panic attacks have stopped.

I don't have a magic cure, but several things have helped me (in no particular order):

1) Claire Weekes - I put her audios on my MP3 and listened to them whenever I was out and about. They served as a constant reminder that I wasn't going mad or losing my mind and gave me a better understanding of what was happening to me and how I was causing some of it myself. Her theory on acceptance is spot on. Once I really accepted that even the most scarey of sypmtoms were just that, symptoms, they had far less importance.

2) Relaxation audios and Mindfulness meditation (http://franticworld.com/) - thanks for that Ingenious. Whenever I woke early with pure O and anxiety I just reached for my MP3 and used the audios. Most times I would fall back to sleep, but I didn't mind that at all.

3) Tough love - my husband knows me better than I know myself and I can't believe that I was ever considering leaving him a few months ago. Sometimes his tough love approach felt hurtful and cruel, but it made me realise how much he was hurting seeing me in the state I was in. I was letting anxiety and depression beat me, but he wasn't willing to let that happen and he gave me so much strength. I used tough love with myself and made myself do things that I'd convinced myself I couldn't - I stopped lieing to myself.

4) Work/distraction - going back to work not only gave me a reason to HAVE to get up and get dressed in the morning, but it stopped me sitting at the computer all day consulting Dr Google for answers and only finding horror stories and worst case scenarios. Don't get me wrong, I found some very useful information and found NMP, but I also "developed" symptoms after reading about them and I'm sure many of you know exactly where I'm coming from.

5) Belief - believe you can do it and you will. Maybe not on the first attempt, but that's how we learn, by repetition. Helping my daughter with her school work rienforced this in me. I wouldn't let her slam down her pencil when a sum was too hard, the solution came from the same principle she was applying to her other sums, it was just that the numbers were bigger so she automatically thought they would be harder.

In addition to the all the above, I also went against the grain a little. I could never accept that my episodes and experiences weren't cause by something else and I was right. After many blood tests I was finally able to say "I told you so" when some of my hormone tests recently came back abnormal for someone of my age. I know it's not as simple as that for everyone (but believe me it was by no means simple getting the doctor to order the tests), but I have half a diagnosis at least and that has made everything a lot more tolerable.

I still check in the NMP when I can, but I'm not spending all day every day here like I used to, which is a good thing for me, I spent way too long living on my computer.

I wish everyone the best of luck. A few months/weeks ago if someone had told me I'd feel like "me" again I wouldn't have believed them. You may not be where you want to be today, but tomorrow is only a sleep away.

MamaCass
04-05-12, 09:34
This is brilliant. I admire you.

Ive gotten into the same rut. Waking up, coming straight on the computer. Something which i need to stop. Claire Weekes has been brilliant for me too. Maybe i should take some of your advice :)

sickandtired
04-05-12, 09:59
Oh huni,thats fantastic!!! Im so proud of you....without meds too!! I wish I could have done it,but even with the meds Im just so happy to be back to normal again....isnt it a great feeling?!!
I too have cut back on the PC and facebook.......Im too knakkered now with my dinnerlady job...lmao ....and I have a newfound energy for everything else instead.....catching up with friends,going for walks,nights out......im actually living now
I agree..... Having something to get motivated for (ie job) is a definite .Its so easy to get in that horrible rut and let depression take over.Although Ive had loads of help and have started cbt which, I think ,is already helping,I realise that the only person who can really help me......is ME.........
Its been a long road for you,but you,ve done it!!! well done chick xxxx
:hugs:

lauz_lea
04-05-12, 10:10
It's so easily done, sitting on the computer all day hoping to find the "fix" or just ease the suffering, but at some point I realised that I'll never notice how green the grass is if I don't go out and look at it.

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 ----------

Oh huni,thats fantastic!!! Im so proud of you....without meds too!! I wish I could have done it,but even with the meds Im just so happy to be back to normal again....isnt it a great feeling?!!
I too have cut back on the PC and facebook.......Im too knakkered now with my dinnerlady job...lmao ....and I have a newfound energy for everything else instead.....catching up with friends,going for walks,nights out......im actually living now
I agree..... Having something to get motivated for (ie job) is a definite .Its so easy to get in that horrible rut and let depression take over.Although Ive had loads of help and have started cbt which, I think ,is already helping,I realise that the only person who can really help me......is ME.........
Its been a long road for you,but you,ve done it!!! well done chick xxxx
:hugs:

Thanks Donna, we may have taken different routes, but our destination was always the same. I'm so pleased and proud of you too, I know how hard it's been for you, but we both knew there was no other way but forward, no matter how hard each step was.

You know you've been a great support to me and you deserve a great big THANK YOU all of your own. I'm gonna keep your number so when I go out next Wednesday night (for the first time in over 6mths) I can drunk text you :roflmao:

sickandtired
04-05-12, 10:14
yey!!! please do......really enjoy yourself.....I felt like i was 18 again when i went out.Ive loads planned this year....lots of 40th do's to go to and 3 weekends away with the girls...
Chris can worry about the kids for a change!!! lol :roflmao:

Stormsky
04-05-12, 10:17
well done Lauz, im in the same place as you myself now... it can be done!! yes there are blips, odd days with symptons still, but their just the dreggs left over from years of anx... and as long as you see them as that, its onwards and upwards ! xx