PDA

View Full Version : Book: At Last A Life

neil1975
04-05-12, 12:12
Hi

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this.
I am considering getting the above book for my kindle.
Has anyone read it and can recommend it?
From what I can gather it's based on Dr. Claire Weekes method of acceptance.

Many Thanks,

Neil
x

Firehead
04-05-12, 17:44
Sorry, no.

I have bought two of Claire Weekes' books though. Here's hoping!

monika
04-05-12, 18:03
Yes, I would highly recommend it

LAURA48
04-05-12, 18:25
Yes by Paul David - have had this book a couple of years - someone who suffered 10 years with anxiety and with the help of a wise counsellor - after being passed from pillar to post manage to get well.

Those are the books I only buy written by fellow sufferers, eg, Dr Claire Weekes both good books

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:24 ----------

Yes it is in the same ilk as Dr Weeke's - highly recommend - mentions alot about DP.

Beckybooboo
04-05-12, 20:32
Hi,

I have a book that's also really good. It's called "Change your thinking with CBT by Dr Sarah Edelman" only just started reading it myself, but it's absolutely awesome so far!

Or, you could visit my blog: www.beckybowerenspiller.wordpress.com - it has loads of tips and tricks for anxiety, obsessive thoughts, depression, etc.

Take care,
Becky x

neil1975
08-05-12, 10:03
I've finished reading the book.
I highly recommend it. I think it is of the same method as Claire Weekes worded slightly differently.
It's quite a short read.
I even recogniosed certain phrases from Claire Weekes books/ audio recordings.
This doesn't dive into symtoms too much so if you are a HA sufferer like me you may feel it doesn't totally relate to you although again that is just part of the anxiety.
I think the method he describes of basically accepting how you feel and getting on with your life no matter how bad to the best of your ability and not to be afraid of the symptoms or thoughts you have is definitely the way to recover.
It's obviously not easy. Anything worthwhile having very rarely is.

Best Wishes,

Neil
x

ems73
08-05-12, 11:43
yes I have it on Kindle and it's very good so far.
claire weekes by far the best thing I've read though, Essential help for your neves (not av. on Kindle unfortunately) is extremely good

neil1975
10-05-12, 13:32
Has anyone read "Free Yourself from Anxiety: A self-help guide to overcoming anxiety disorders"? I've heard that's meant to be good

BW

Neil

ems73
10-05-12, 13:44
Yes I have it on Kindle, don't bother

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

heavily focussed on OCD, generally a bit lightweight with general advice on diet, healthy living etc

neil1975
10-05-12, 13:52
Thanks ems, I think i'll give that one a miss then

daintydi
10-05-12, 14:55
Hi All,
Just read Depression - The curse of the strong
Would highly recommend it. Its the sort of book that makes you think....Thats me!

Firehead
10-05-12, 17:30
How do you get yourself in a frame of mind to be able to read such books. I have the Claire Weeks one but can't bear to read it.

PanchoGoz
10-05-12, 17:42
How do you get yourself in a frame of mind to be able to read such books. I have the Claire Weeks one but can't bear to read it.

Why can't you bear it?

daintydi
11-05-12, 07:24
Hi firehead
If you find it difficult o concentrate, break it down to a page a day or how ever much you can do........I sometimes had to read a chapter 3 times' as info doesn't really " go in" I have found these books invaluable. They explained things to me, rather than me second guessing or worse still asking dr google!
Worth a try
Take care
Di x

Jenwales
11-05-12, 09:33
Yeah I have that free yourself from anxiety book. It spend too much time explaining what your anxiety is doing and doesnt help at all: 'anxiety is charged with'.
I hate books that spend ages explaining and not offering helpful advice.
I don't have the patience to read all that, surely they'd know that.
I have just started reading the claire weekes book and it's not too bad. I'm of a mixed opinion. Was thinking of getting at last a life.
Found a book i think ws good but cant remember title or find it now.
One thing about claire weekes she keeps mentioning a nervous breakdown? I thought that was something different?

Firehead
11-05-12, 13:07
Yeah, it's really that I can't cope with the ... truth of it. It just sets me into a panic.

Pacific
11-05-12, 13:29
I bought it and reading it right now, hope its good! Im at page 15 but so far so good

PanchoGoz
12-05-12, 12:45
Ive just bought self help for your nerves - finally! Claire Weeks is som comforting in the way she speaks.
Firehead, the truth is the best bit - you are not ill and you can get better! I implore you, don't block out help, read Claire Week's book you will find it so comforting. I understand that thinking about it makes you depressed and panicy and all that, but in context, you are helping yourself and you will gain the understanding needed so that you lose the fear of the fear. Jump that hurdle, however high, because it's definately worth it!
take care

Kitkat16
27-04-14, 18:01
Can I ask for some PDF copy of this book.. I hope that someone could help me. I've been suffering from anxiety for a long time and I don't have the money to get a treatment or buy books that might help me. Please help me :weep:

PanchoGoz
27-04-14, 18:45
You can get Self Help for you Nerves for literally pennies on Amazon. CBT4Panic is free to, loads of free resources out there. Look at the links in my signiture.

Catherine S
27-04-14, 18:58
It's funny really when you think of just how many books there are out there and we all come back to Claire Weekes, she was awesome tho wasn't she? I remember buying all of her books in the 1980s :ohmy: God i'm old.

PanchoGoz
27-04-14, 19:19
SHFYN is frequently referred to as "the bible" to the likes of us :D

I'mdave27
27-04-14, 19:23
You already have a life. Don't forget that. I've read tons of books on anxiety , depression a few have been good and a few have been awful , oh well. These books taught me how to do this or that , how to handle this or that but deep down none of this information ever sank in , not even a little , that's a good thing though. You have everything you need as a person to get through anxious feelings , despair , depression it's just that you don't know it or haven't figured it out yet due to your symptoms suppressing it , dig deeper. I don't read those type of books anymore though because I came to a realisation that was a homecoming truth , it hurt very much , that realisation was - do I really need this person I've never even met to tell me what to do ? The reality is no , I don't. Why ? Because we have everything we need to thrive already within us but first you have to believe you are a strong person because without belief there is no point of anything