PDA

View Full Version : What to expect from first Dr visit.

SG
04-05-12, 14:08
I've suffered from anxiety since I was a teenager but only in the last few months has it gotten so bad that I need to see a doctor. I'd just like to know beforehand what to expect. What will they ask and will they do any tests? I'm clueless about what the procedures are for treating anxiety. I'm also worried about just getting sent away with pills. What's the first port of call for a doc who has a patient with anxiety? Has anybody been prescribed medication and does it work? Are there different types of medication and will they expect me to choose (as in how there are different types of contraceptive Pill).

Also, I'm really worried about even speaking my anxiety problems out loud because I've never discussed it with anyone before. Every time I practise what I would say to a doctor, it becomes overwhelming and I always end up in tears just thinking about it. Has anyone been through that and how did you handle it?

Just looking for people's experiences in general of getting their anxiety treated.

wlizzie
04-05-12, 14:32
hi, my experiance was good , considering what a state i was in when i went to my doctors. I knew i wouldnt be able to speak much so i wrote a list of physical and mental symptons and just handed that over. The doctor was very good he diagnosed me with anxiety and severe depression and put me on 20mg citalopram straight away to try and lift my mood, he also gave me information about therapy services , and i need to go and see him after a month to see how the cit are working. Im only on day 15 of meds and its very up and down but even so im 50per cent better than two weeks ago.:hugs:
Good luck

jimsmrs
04-05-12, 14:55
hi SG
well done for going to see your GP. he or she will probably ask if you're eating, sleeping properly ie do you wake in the middle of the night and then not going back to sleep. They may check your blood pressure and offer blood tests to rule out anything physical, like a thyroid problem. They'll probably ask if you've lost enthusiasm towards activities and/or if you feel worthless, sucidial thoughts or whether you've had panic attacks. Then they'll decide what medication is right for you, whether meds for anxiety or whether your suffering from depression aswell. Some GPs will explain possible side effects others don't and you'll have to read the leaflet that comes with the meds. Some people get these side effects some people don't, so DON'T be alarmed as you read the leaflet. We are all different so what suits one person may not suit you, it's all trial and error, so don't expect a quick fix, these meds can take their time and you may feel slightly worse before you feel better. If you want to cry while you're sitting there, then do it cry, you may feel better. Ask about local support groups in your area, most are run by charities and are free, some offer counselling. Your GP may ask you to go back after about 3 or 4 weeks.

Good luck take care
and lets know how you get on

Lesley
xxxxxx

flossie
04-05-12, 15:40
My current and previous GP prefer not to automatically prescribe anti depressants so don't be surprised if you come away without a prescription. There might be other avenues your surgery likes to advise before medication.
The important thing is to take the first step by going to talk it all through. If you feel it all a bit overwhelming, as suggested before, write a letter and leave it with your doc to read before your next appointment.
In the list on the left side of this page click Finding Help under Self Help.

Pinkcasi
04-05-12, 15:55
When i first went to my Dr's about this stuff i worked myself up into such a frenzy convinced that he was going to say i was faking or attention seeking that he would just say 'pull yourself together' that's what everyone else says or thinks that i had a panic attack there in the waiting room it was awful, i went in and he had me breathe into a paper bag and calm down, i really didn't need to convince him of anything i just told him how i felt and was told, stress and anxiety, another time i went a few years after that 'episode' the dr gave me a questionaire, you know one of those, almost never, sometimes, always ones, he looked at at and said 'Wow you are depressed'.
I used to get so anxious every time i went to the dr's thinking that id be told to stop faking it, or that id get told there was actually something really medically wrong with me or that id actually go crazy and be sectioned, but now im not so bad, but it normally takes me a while to admit that i need to go and then by the time i do i just burst into tears and say, I cant take it anymore.

Just go there and tell the truth, they're there to help you, if that means meds then so be it,for some of us it's a necessary evil, that we'll probably always be on there's nothing wrong with that cept the prescription charges, if you were diabetic you'd take insulin to regulate your body right, it's the same thing.

Good luck

SG
05-05-12, 16:44
Thanks for your help everyone. I never thought of writing it in a letter, that sounds like a good option. I also feel a little better about the possibility of medication, I liked what you said, Pinkcasi about it being the same as a diabetic needing insulin. I feel more confident about making an appointment now.

Pipkin
05-05-12, 19:17
Hi SG,

I won't repeat what the other posters have said as you've had some great advice there. All I wanted to add was that the NICE guidelines would be very useful for you to read. There is a version aimed at GPs recommending what to do when a patient presents with anxiety and a version for patients telling you what to expect. Both are available here:

http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG113

Good luck

Pip x