PDA

View Full Version : Just been prescribed venlafaxine

Janinex
04-05-12, 15:48
Hi I have just been prescribed venlafaxine 37.5mg for anxiety. I am really scared to take it as I have had sertraline and citalopram previously which have made my anxiousness worse :((
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Lizziesaurus
08-05-12, 19:33
I too was on them ADs before venlafaxine and at first life was great, unfortunately it stopped working for me and it was the mother of all nightmares coming off it which I won't worry you with as I'm sure you've read all about it!
Just try it and see if it works for you, if not I do reccommend going back to your doc first before coming off to get a plan of how to wean off them.

MollyBunn
08-05-12, 22:05
I was on venlafaxine for 3 plus years. I had a reasonably good time on it...I felt a bit flat but the anxiety wasn't there and the panic attacks went ...as did the depression.
It's taken me 4 months to get off it and I am now completely off it...with no side effects.
I just wish the GPs would be more helpful. I got in touch with CITA and thy helped me tremendously.

Janinex
10-05-12, 15:00
Hey guys, thanks soo much for your replies :)) Went to my first appt. with the CPN yesterday who was lovely :)) I have severe anxiety according to her, I have still not taken the venlafaxine but she has recommended I give it a go for a few weeks and see how I go, but I have to say am still that scared way incase it increases my anxiety silly i know but you know yourself the vicious circle of anxiety!!! Back to drs today for follow up appt as she wanted to see me after initial appt with CPN I am thinking of asking for a diff A/D which might help me sleep as at the minute Im absolutely done in and out like a light by 9/10pm but wakening at 4am every morning and its really taking its toll and making me worse I think. I have to say as far as my dr goes I have recently changed from my regular dr and the one I am seeing is absolutely fab which makes a huge difference.
Am gonna be seeing the CPN for the next few months anyway and she has referred me to CBT although there is a 7 month wait for this, so im gonna have to bite the bullet at some point and take some form of a/d.

dan1234
10-05-12, 16:31
Personally I think you should take the ven and see how you go. It may cause the anxiety to get worse for a short time, but then will hopefully settle. Speak to your GP about maybe having 14 2mg diazepam tablets just for the start up... They should understand if you are so scared of taking them.

Dan

Janinex
10-05-12, 18:48
Thanks Dan, my GP was great and as im anxious about taking it has said to wait till Sunday evening to start taking it (which I will defo do) that way if im feeling rubbish with it the surgery isn't closed and I can at least get in touch with her if I need to. She has also give me 14 diazempam tablets to help me along the way :)

Scratchappy
11-05-12, 13:22
Hey Janinex :)

I’ve just started out on ven. and at the same dose as yourself. Well, initially I was prescribed 75mg but I found that a bit too much to take at first so went down to 37.5mg and the side effects were minimal and most lasted just a few days or so. It’s really helped me so far in that it’s lifted my mood and reduced my anxiety a little. And that’s on a relatively low dose which I’ve been on for about 10 days now.

I did experience a slight upsurge in anxiety when I first took it. But that was on 75mg for the 1st day. Thereafter I didn’t notice any increased anxiety myself on the lower dosage but some people probably have. We’re all different an’ all that with regards to our body reacting and adjusting to med.’s.
I also took it on a full stomach in the morning, in case it kept me awake. And I did have a bit of trouble sleeping for a couple of nights but that soon dissipated. Some people find it helps them to sleep, so I’ve read. So you never know...

The diazepam will definitely help, should you need it, and it’s great that your GP seems understanding about it all.

There’s a thread at the top where users of ven post so if you want to come join in or just ask questions, then please feel free to join us :)

Anyway, just wanted to wish you good luck :) Keep posting to let us know how you're getting on.

Cheers...................Scratch

Janinex
12-05-12, 20:52
Thanks soo much for your positive reply Scratch, makes me less worried about taking it, due to take the first one tomorrow :) X

oROGUETROOPERo
19-05-12, 20:44
Glad I read this post as its put my mind at ease, can't take them as yet as I am on antibiotics , but gd to know side effects anit all bad