PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever admitted yourself to hospital for panic?

TillySm
05-05-12, 10:36
G'day,

I spent all day in hospital because I thought I was having a heart attack and felt weird and spaced out all day. I was sure that is what it was - I had never felt so bad, so weird and different like I wasn't there.

My heart was racing at 120-150bpm the whole 5 hours I was there. In the end the doctor did heaps of tests and discharged me saying that it was not a heart attack and not cardio/heart related???? I feel so confused and still feel faint - how could my mental illness fool me so much?

Have you ever admitted yourself to hospital for panic that you thought was heart disease? What was the result?

cas2ce
05-05-12, 12:58
I went to hospital in an ambulance today for it, for the 4th time in a month :S after not eating and sleeping its taken a toll xxx I know its hard

LauraSmith27
05-05-12, 13:55
Hi Tilly,

The mind can cause all sorts of symptoms. The first time I had a panic attack I went through the exact same thing. I was in A&E for a few hours with my heart racing at 180bpm while they did all sorts of tests, but there was nothing physically wrong with me. Have you tried breathing slowly into a paper bag when you get palpitations? I find this helps to slow my heart rate and calm me down.

Laura x

kittikat
05-05-12, 14:12
Happened to me too, several times in the early days, even admitted me one night as they weren't sure if I'd actually had a mild heart attack, even administered warfarin just in case I had a blood clot too....how scarey was that, waiting for all the test results...only to find it was just anxiety and panic :blush:

It can be really frightening and you do believe something terrible is happening to you. I hope you are getting some help for your panics now and educating yourself about how your body responds when you have one. It's certainly not pleasant but with knowledge & understanding you have the power to help you cope better.

Good luck & take care, Kitti :)

Meltdown
05-05-12, 14:20
Yes, I went to A&E after my worst-ever panic attack!

It was the numbness in my arms and hands that frightened me most, together with dizziness and feeling that I was about to pass out! I hadn't had these symptoms before.

It was explained to me that therse symptoms were all caused by the effects of hyperventilation! They also taught me about the breathing into a bag trick!