PDA

View Full Version : Laughing .... wierd

Deenor
05-05-12, 15:25
This is a bit of an odd symptom to have , just wondering if anyone else has this .....?

I find it almost impossible to laugh due to my chest/lungs feeling like they are closing up and sometimes feeling like I am suffocating . This has gone on for years, and I've been told there is nothing wrong with my lungs and heart ( thank goodness ! )

Is this a typical anxiety/panic issue ??? :unsure::shrug:

Deenor
12-05-12, 18:44
Must just be me then , nearly 100 views and no other person with this ! Maybe I need to go back and ask my doctor again .........

Mr Brownstone
12-05-12, 18:51
Do you have an aversion to people seeing you laugh? Just an idea, that it may be an automatic reaction to try and stop yourself from laughing.

LittleMissSleepy
12-05-12, 19:25
Deenor, you are not alone. I also get this. Do you feel if you were to laugh normally you would lose consiousness or run out of oxygen ? I do. 2 years ago I was walking uphill quite hard and started to laugh and nearly blanked out.

Deenor
12-05-12, 19:28
No, I really miss laughing ! I can manage a quiet chuckle but anything more and my chest starts to feel like it's" freezing up " ..... I am exactly the same with anger - can get a bit cross, but anything more than that and I the " freeze up " feeling starting again.

Seems like it's with extremes of emotion, but I LOVE to laugh and would be glad of a good belly laugh !!!

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

LittleMissSleepy

YES !!

It's exactly what it feels like ..... chest appears to " freeze up" and suddenly I feel like I will suffocate !

Ddcoo
15-05-12, 11:15
Hi Deenor & Little Miss Sleepy, how glad I was to read your posts as I have not been able to have a belly laugh for a long time without the awful feeling that I would pass out or die with the restriction in my chest and also as soon as I start to laugh I cough. I wonder what it is that causes this awful sensation - I have not always had this problem. I wouldlove to be able to really laugh again and not try and keep it to a chuckle.

If anyone else reads this and has the same I would be extremely interested to hear from you.:blush:

LittleMissSleepy
15-05-12, 14:16
Not sure what it is Ddcoo/DEenor but I do have issues with a broken diaphragm (emotion muscle)/sensitive stomach which may or may not be some of the cause (?)

I also get that 'strangulation' restrictive feeling in the same place when I become angry or excited as well, right at the bottom of the sternum which can cause breathlessness sensation. I have to stop and calm down for a bit, and when it's really bad it can be weeks of breathlessness. During this time I find it difficult to breath and talk, and or eat.

I too miss laughing properly.