PDA

View Full Version : betahistine/serc

wlizzie
06-05-12, 07:49
can anyone help me?
i have been taking betahistine 16mg 3 times a day for around three months , my doctors prescribed them for dizzyness. However since that time iv had a few tests etc and everything was clear all they have come up with is that im sufferering from gad ha and depression and iv been on 20mg of cit for just over two weeks.
anyway my question is , and iv tried googling and not got an answer, are there any withdrawal side effects if i just stop the betahistine because i dont really think its doing anything , i still get dizzy etc.
the reason im worried about it is because when i suggested to my doc about stopping them he said to carry on then taper down. but i havnt found any evidence to suggest this is nessesary , all i did find was an article that suggested it was more of a placebo drug than anything else.
what i dont want at this time is to be put any more drugs than i really need to into my system , i worry enough as it is without that.
thanx

hope we all get a lovely anx free sunday
maybe we should invent a no anxiety day (like no smoking day) be cool if it worked :bighug1:

LAURA48
06-05-12, 09:25
Hi - my mum has been on them - she is on Arlevert now and Stemetil for dizziness. I am no doctor but didn't think you need to taper down on betahistine - I know her consultant said to her re the Arlevert - which is very similiar that a tolerance can build up and not good for long term use! You say they are not doing anything? I know my mum said in the beginning they were good but no longer seem to work - but she still takes them? think she feels secure with them as her dizziness is not caused by anxiety but burnt out Menieres Disease.

Personally - if I were you - to be on the safe side just go down to one a day for a couple of weeks then stop. I don't think you will have any problems - but always have them to hand - think it helps the sickness too. Is the Cit helping as my mum has just gone on those she is very sensitive to have cut her to 5mg for a couple of weeks but she said her head feels muzzy - sorry to keep comparing you with my mum but dizziness is so distressing and frightening - hope you will soon feel better!

wlizzie
06-05-12, 09:57
thanks laura ,
i think i will taper off them over a couple of weeks it cant hurt i spose.
as for the cit working for dizzyness im not sure, thats another reason i would like to only be taking one thing at a time , so i know exactly what they are doing for me, if that makes sense.
i do know that the dizzyness seemed less severe for the first couple of weeks on the betahistine but after that whenever i get my other anx symptoms the dizzyness is there as well , so maybe it will be worse without them but im pretty sure that its all part of anxiety in my case.
hope your mum feels better soon :hugs: