PDA

View Full Version : Yet another new boy ... with, I suppose, a somewhat similar story ...

meunier
06-05-12, 12:35
It is refreshing to find these groups ....

Here's my story ... Wish it wasn't .... like so many.

I don't know why this happened, but on Good Friday I had a nap and awoke to find that I had a stiff jaw and perceived that I had no sensation on the back third of my throat when swallowing. I thought I might have had - or was having a stroke - so took myself to an A&E. In the exam they could not elicit a gag on the left side. The doctor came back and said 'you have something on your brain stem' Very comforting. The weekend was utter agony. Couldn't concentrate. Went to my GP on the Tuesday who elevated the matter so I could see a neurologist. In the meantime I had a private brain stem MRI. Came back completely normal. Went to neurologist appointment and she assured me that I didn't have MS (which is what my GP had suggested might be the case) and elicited a gag on both sides. Now have the sensation on right side of throat back ...

BUT two weeks ago yesterday I started to feeling muscle tightness/spasms in my arms. As if my muscles were being strangled. That moved to my thighs. Even showed my flatmate my muscles pulsating beneath the skin just to reassure myself it wasn't in my head. Have had pins and needles - I sense around my ankles. In the mornings I always awake with some sort of numbness and dry mouth. Had blood tests and my Vitamin D rating came back with a 'insufficiency' - e.g. 32 - as opposed to an outright deficiency. On my GP's instruction I have started taking supplements. Don't know how long this takes to kick in.

Decided to have second MRI on brain - just to put my own mind to rest. Did so last week. Don't think the neuro-radiologist EVEN LOOKED AT IT. Came back with the same report about the para-nasal pathways being clear ... Those pathways are in the brian stem NOT IN THE BRAIN. Feel totally fobbed off and resent having paid for it.

This has led to another weekend of anxiety. Now I feel as if the bone in my right buttock is stiffened ... but I am trying to ignore this ...

Perhaps writing this will help me. Blessedly I can still type .... even though my fingers can sometimes feel week.

Is this ALL in my head??????? I am willing to consider the possibility ...

One thing I DO know ... I wish it would all JUST GO AWAY ...

Whatever else, here at least you are you are not alone ...

Thanks so for that !!!!

nomorepanic
06-05-12, 12:36
Hi meunier

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Pipkin
06-05-12, 12:54
Hi there and :welcome:

You're certainly not on your own - these symptoms are very common with anxiety sufferers.

Have either your GP or neurologist suggested that anxiety might be the cause? They're ruling out what it can't be but really do need to offer you a diagnosis. Once they've done that, you need to discuss options to tackle it, such as therapy and/or medication.

Read a bit more on here about the causes of anxiety and the fight or flight response. You'll then get a better idea about what's going on in your body when your adrenalin levels rise causing the symptoms you're describing. Understanding this is the first step to dealing with it.

Take care and keep posting

Pip

meunier
07-05-12, 14:12
Thanks for both of your welcomes. Thanks too, Pip, for your kind advice. I will certainly follow your suggestions. Bless you.

meunier
08-05-12, 11:36
GREAT NEWS ... well, sort of ... Heard back from the neurologist this morning that my B12 was a tad low and that would account for the numbness and muscle tussle I have been feeling ...

Have my first B12 injection at 5.30 pm ....

I am SO relieved that it wasn't ALL in my mind ...

I cannot thank you enough for your support.

Bless all.