PDA

View Full Version : Why did antidepressant make me so sick the 1st pill??

I_hate_life
06-05-12, 13:21
I don't understand?

Pipkin
06-05-12, 13:35
Hi there,

Give us a bit more info and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Is this your first time on ADs?
What meds are you taking?
What are you taking them for?

Take care

Pip x

Bamboochomper
06-05-12, 14:16
Hi there, Hang in there I started taking 20mg citalopram just 4 days ago and I felt horrible after the first one but if you just stick to them the sideeffects like sickness and lack of energy start to fade and it's only the forth day today for me and I already feel much better, I hope this helped you.

All the best,
Nath

lleksam
06-05-12, 15:27
I'm on the second day of my new AD and I actually haven't had 1 sideeffect!! Lucky me :D

grotbags
06-05-12, 17:44
Some people just react in this way. Whenever I start an SSRI I will be up either the first night or the second night without fail; puking up, retching, anxious and feeling dreadful. I was like this on Cipralex but I was determined to keep going with them, and these side effects did settle to a manageable level within a few days. However, if I ever go back on an SSRI I will ask to be started on a tiny dose because I am very sensitive to them. Maybe you could ask your doctor about trying a smaller dose to begin with.

Ingenious
06-05-12, 20:14
My first tablet hit me like a train, I felt terrible within 30 mins. This is a physical side effect and some of us are sensitive like this, some are not. But each successive tablet has less of an immediate sde effect, speak to your GP, depending on what you're on you may be able to take them at night (so you sleep through the bad bit).

theharvestmouse
06-05-12, 20:23
Are there any Anti depressants that actually work?

annette1
07-05-12, 06:08
Hi harvest mouse

Yes there are good anti d's out there it's just a case of finding one that suits you. I think the biggest problem with them is the side effects, they are horrible but if you can stick with them until they pass anti d's work well.

I'm taking Citalopram, started on 20mg, horrible side effects but good support from my gp got me through them. They lasted about 3wks then settled down & in 6 wks i felt so much better, less anxiety & no panic attacks. I've been on 40mg for 3yrs now & combined with therapy they have been a life saver.

Hope you find something to help you soon.