PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and swollen face?

Marj
06-05-12, 17:34
Hi, I started having some swelling on both sides of my nose over a week ago. Slowly it has spread and now both my cheeks are swollen. I can't understand why. I am on antibiotics but only since two days ago so it can't be it and antihistamines do not seem to do much either. I thought it could be sinusitis but it's both sides and particularly also the jawline which seems a bit strange.

I wonder if anxiety could cause this. I know that this seems really far fetched but can't understand it. Also, it stops me going out as can't show my face out there. Anyone had any similar experience?

PanchoGoz
06-05-12, 17:58
Anxiety does not cause swelling, have a word with your doctor asap. What are you taking the antibiotics for? It could be a reaction of sorts, or mumps maybe - have a chat with the doc.

Marj
06-05-12, 19:52
That's what I thought, it is a 'real' symptom not just psychosomatic. The swelling started before tablets which are for UTI. I mentioned the swelling (when it was only starting) to my doctor but she is so focused on my anxiety that any 'real' physical symptoms go amiss. I have had mumps when I was a kid and have no temperature. And the swelling is in not in the mumps swelling area. It must be sinusitis or allergy. I will pay the doc a visit (again...) next week if it doesn't go down. It's actually not very bad but bad enough to worry me. Thanks.

PanchoGoz
06-05-12, 20:48
Ok then, let me know what he says about it :)

flossie
06-05-12, 21:16
Pop in to see your local pharmacist. He will advise you whether you should see the doctor again or the dentist.
Take care.

Marj
06-05-12, 23:36
PanchoGoz, will do!

flossie, that's a good idea, never even thought of that, thanks - it's not dental though as have no dental issues at the mo and it's on both sides though left is slightly worse which makes me think sinus problem is the likeliest as have slight pressure in the area but no big pain which you normally get with sinusitis.

Marj
09-05-12, 11:17
Seen a doc today. She said it is most likely an allergic reaction, normally associated with medication. But as I started my tabs after the swelling already was there it can't be those. However, I just realised that I have been using an antibiotic nasal cream for an infection and as the swelling started around the nose it could be the culprit - I have used it before but of course allergy can develop. So, am taking stronger antihistamine than piriton and stopping the cream now and will see what happens.

PanchoGoz
09-05-12, 16:12
Ah ok, best of luck finding the solution!

Marj
10-05-12, 12:27
Thanks PanchoGoz, it is already looking a bit better and am actually venturing out today :yesyes:

flossie
10-05-12, 13:03
Hopefully you have now found the cause and everything will soon return to normal. Thanks for the update as I've been wondering how you are.

Marj
17-05-12, 17:33
Hi flossie, thanks for your post. It is practically gone, I never found out what it was but think it might have been that cream. Am feeling a lot lot better anyway and intensely looking for a job at the moment but so relieved that haven't had any panic attacks for almost two weeks :D
Hope you are good and take care.