PDA

View Full Version : Sertraline and sleep/other side effects

Marj
07-05-12, 02:16
Hi, I have just started Lustral three days ago. Last night I slept so so, woke up feeling really shaky and been feeling dizzy and tired all day. Then when it was time to go to bed tonight, wasn't tired (or sleepy) anymore and feel totally awake now at 2am.

I have read some people say they have problems with sleep on sert. One of my biggest problems is insomnia; my worst bouts of insomnia include three days and nights practically without a wink of sleep and part of the reason I agreed to take them was to ensure I will be able to sleep. I have had nausea and headaches but these apparently should subside. Dry mouth in not such a big deal at least at this stage. Also have had some weird sound in my ears, like tinnitus or similar.

I would like to hear what experiences others have had with regards sert and sleeping, or other side effects. Or if they haven't had any. Thanks.

Mo B
07-05-12, 13:07
Hi marj

I take Sertraline and am on week 11 now. For the first few weeks (about 4 I think) I couldnt sleep for longer than 2-3 hrs and not at all in the day. Then it resolved itself and I sleep about 5hrs now and can nod off in the daytime. Nausea went after a cou ple of weeks and tiredness went when I began to sleep better. Shaking was bad at first but as the weeks went on it disappeared -non at all now. The only side effect I have now really is rushing to the loo in the morning a couple of times!!Anxiety was alleviated at about weeks 6-7 low mood still occasionally.

Hope this helps. It usually takes at least 4 weeks ( sometimes less, sometimes more ) for SE to subsid. I believe it can cause tinnitus but I already suffer from that so no change for me ! Lol

Hang in there and Im sure it will work for you :hugs:

Mo x

Marj
07-05-12, 20:59
Thanks Mo B, that's really helpful :)

stamags
07-05-12, 22:10
hi
now into my third week on sertraline and can honestly say that I have a no side effects apart from maybe slightly hightened anxiety but only slightly.I had been previously on citalopram for 10weeks but was taken off it as it was not doing me any good.

jimsmrs
08-05-12, 16:13
Hi marj, i'm coming to week 11 on sert and like Mo B I'm still plagued with Diarrhea first thing in the morning. Don't get the headaches or earache anymore. I had numbness in my arms aswell, that's stopped. I don't have trouble sleeping with them though. they are a slow one to work and as you can see by Stamags post she's had no side effects (soooooooo lucky!!!!!)

hope that helps

Marj
09-05-12, 10:55
Hey guys, thanks for replies. Yes helpful as sometimes difficult to say what is an anxiety symptom and what is a side effect! But headaches definitely caused by the drug and nausea. Will just have to wait and see. I saw in another thread that some people only start experiencing side effects after the first week or so.

jimsmrs
09-05-12, 14:27
Soda water is brilliant for the nausea

Marj
09-05-12, 15:36
Thanks jimsmrs will definitely try that!

Granny Primark
09-05-12, 23:14
Ive been taking sertaline for nearly 3 years.
I did think theyd helped me and like a fool 2 weeks ago I thought I could manage without them and just stopped.
I was so distressed Tues that my hubby took me down the docs. I couldnt eat, sleep felt dizzy and nauseaous.
My doc told me you have to be weaned off them.