PDA

View Full Version : CBT and on the up

tobyjug01
07-05-12, 22:36
Its been a while scince I posted on this fantastic website. I have recently finished my course of CBT and can happily say that it has given me so much and helps me each day to overcome my HA.

How It works is to show you how your thoughts,emotions and behaviour are all linked,and how those in turn effect you physicaly. For all off us who are effected by HA we all tend to follow the same patterns,we feel a sensation,and all our attention is drawn to that point,we then start to become anxious about that sensation,and hey presto it starts to get worse and more follow,and we get more anxious,and more follow,and well you can see where its going. Then we find ourselfs concentrating on how our body feels,and we check for body sensations,and look for external signs that there is something wrong. We then go to see our GP who tells us that there is nothing wrong,and for a brief time we feel on top of the world and laugh at ourselfs and say,you know theres nothing wrong,and things seem great,but then the doubt creeps in,what if the GP missed something,what is hes wrong,and guess what you feel that tingle again,or twitch,or blurry vision,and those other nasty symptoms,and yep your back at the start. Your in that washing machine cycle,your just going around and around,symptoms,anxiety,depression.

Please look at it this way,each time your symptoms are bad,think about how you are feeling emotionaly at that time,and how you are behaving. If you notice that you feel low,or stressed and are you spending time thinking about the symptoms,or worrying that you have MS,MND,or other neuro problems. These are all negative emotions and thoughts,and will feed your anxiety,and keep your in your negative cycle and just going around and around.

I bet if you think hard enough you can look back and find the time that it all started,when you first noticed your symptoms,and I bet you were in a negative state,maybe through a family or close freind death,or trouble at home or work,money worries,anything that makes emotionaly negative for a long period of time. I guess what I am trying to say is there is a massive link between how we feel emotionaly and physicaly. You dont feel bad when your having a good time,and again think about what you were doing when you didnt have anxiety,and I bet you were in a more positive frame of mind. Positive emotion = positive behaviour=positive thoughts=better days.

Dont get me wrong,I still have bodily sensations,but I understand why I have them,and find it easier to look at the bigger picture,and not the blinkerd HA picture. With the information and things that I have learnt through CBT each time I get my symptoms I no longer put myself into the negative cycle,but find something positive to focus on,change my train of thought. The start is stop checking yourself for symtoms,stop asking for reasurance,do something that makes you smile and happy. It is important that you go to your GP and dont use DR GOOGLE,trust in the people who know. You can then focus on the facts,not on what we with HA make up.

There is so much more involved in CBT,but when you do it and you put it all together it works. I am posting this to show you all as a person who has HA,I know how feel and what you are feeling,I know that at times you feel so alone,and the thoughts that race through your head,and the fear. You can overcome it,you just need a little help to get you started. Go to your GP and ask them for help,tell them you would like CBT,as you want to change.

I guess Im writing this because I want to give some back,and help people to overcome this monster that is ANXIETY. If I can help anyone in anyway please,please PM me. Onwards and Upwards my friends.:yesyes:

Morag130
08-05-12, 00:01
Thank you for this post. I am looking foward to start therapy. Still on the waiting list tho :-(

Glad you are on your way and getting your life back :-) :yesyes:

meunier
08-05-12, 06:54
That's fantastic news -- Thanks so for your posting.

One question .... I wonder how long it took for you to get on to CBT counseling AFTER your GP had made the recommendation.

I would find that information MOST helpful.

Bless you for ALL.

potato11
08-05-12, 10:04
Morag

Start with CBT4PANIC - no waiting list! :)

julynn
08-05-12, 19:36
hi thankyou for the post :) im starting my cbt in june really hoping it helps.
hi muenier it took me almost 8 months to get my cbt app i was referred by my gp then had my assessment and now have got my appointment quiet a slow process but i know that there is not as many cbt therapist as they are others.

Linzi77
08-05-12, 23:28
I LOVE this post. I agree and i have only had 5 sessions of CBT. It is defintitely the way to go, you have to trust in yourself and learn to risk assess your sensations "are they any worse than yesterday" if not then chances are they are not going to get any worse. But like tobyjug01 says, it's the cycle. I still get the over thinking, over scanning, feeling drained but the panic of it is definitely going, the fear of impending doom and the fear of thinking the Doctors and A&E have missed something even though ive had MRI, Brain Scan Chest Xrays etc etc.... The more you seek reassurance the more you are telling your body that something is definitely wrong and that it's in danger, so what does your body do PANIC!!! its easy when you know how, but you will with CBT. you have to trust what the therapist says. It's the easiest thing in the world to get to where we are but the hardest thing to get back out of it but there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel with CBT

Good Luck everyone xxx

Jamesk
09-05-12, 08:20
Anyone know how long it takes if your GP refers you?

I saw my GP about 6 or 7 weeks back and he referred me for counselling - I haven;t heard anything yet, how long should I leave it before I ring up to enquire?

pearl79
09-05-12, 08:32
Thankyou for your most excellent post... Cant wait actuallyt.. I have my 2nd assessment for cbt today. I cant wait for the actually cbt to start. Taken me 3 months to get a appt but my docs pushed it along

jayred
09-05-12, 13:34
Brilliant post and a real eye opener makes me realise more and more im not alone in the way ive been feeling this year and will hopefully make me stop thinking i have MS. Thank you i will look into CBT more

tobyjug01
09-05-12, 14:34
Jayred. I thought i had MS also, and if you read alot of posts so do many others. Go and see your GP,get checked out and ask for help,ask them for CBT it works. Im sure Linzi77 will back me up with this,it helps you to help yourself,it changes the way you think about not only your HA but also GAD and anything that triggers your Anxiety. Take control back and take control of your anxiety,because it can be done.:yesyes:

Onwards and Upwards

jayred
09-05-12, 22:25
Hi its just scary as it really mimics things like ms isnt it. I just know my doctor will tell me to take anti depressants which i have always steered clear from and still dont believe they will help just mask the problems. I think ill try and if he does then ill go with cbt privately i just want this to end now i read up how a sign of ms is tingling feeling and since them ive had a foot tingling its so stupid but gets to me. Thank u for ur very positive post its really appreciated

Linzi77
11-05-12, 18:36
Yes tobyjug01, I quite agree, love. I still have my moments but as I say, I'm only 5 sessions in and still have the HA and GAD going on, had an attack just before typing this, which is why I came on. Reading posts on this site does put it in perspective becasue we all have very similar fears and physiological symptoms. Its good to now rationalise it and question yourself when you panic, see the other side of things rather than just getting into the cycle of panic, symptoms, more panic, more symptoms, more panic etc etc... I presented in A&E with what they said was "BIZARRE BEHAVIOUR" and they referred me to their Mental Health team, two days laters a Psychologist said she wanted to see me that week but I think it can be a lengthy wait from a GP referral.

Keep strong and keep believing there is light at the end of the tunnel :)