PDA

View Full Version : Does breathing techniques work for you?

Dollydimple1990
08-05-12, 02:57
Hi, in last 2-3 months my anxiety has gone incredibly worse, my friend asked me to go out for a social drink this evening and I was getting panicky that I would start having a panic attack in the pub. Just feels like its taking over my life. My friend knows I suffer from this and would have helped me but it's getting to the stage where I feel embarrassed by it. I have been seeing this anti anxiety group which shows me these breathing techniques and well they just don't work for or I get even more panicky. Do you find the breathing techniques helpful?

Trypp
08-05-12, 03:56
I too find myself a bit anxious now and then and the breathing techniques are helpful

ems73
08-05-12, 11:46
Yes I find it works esp with minor anxiety and on waking. When u wake up feeling bad try some long slow breathing through your nose, it works well for me

Hilycat
08-05-12, 12:03
Yes, I do the belly breathing thing,one hand on your chest one on your belly- big breathe in slow breathe out it, I find it does work and calm me down.

Dollydimple1990
08-05-12, 16:26
I have been doing the belly breathing one for past couple of weeks in the morning which does relax me for a bit and then the anxious feeling comes back, after I done it in the morning and try it again later it just makes me more nervous and panicky.

nicotine
08-05-12, 17:47
Ive always found breathing techniques help, but they don't "cure" panic once your already in an anxious state.

Ive been in an anxious state, laid on my back and breathed into my stomach and its eased my symptoms but sometimes i'll still get another burst of panic and adrenalin and I sit up quickly frightened to death and unable to control my negative thoughts.

The breathing helps chest pains, dizziness, feeling spaced out etc but doesn't always rid you of the thoughts creating the tension so the panic and anxiety can remain. Its positive and important to practice breathing exercises even when you are not anxious, everyday if possible, but for dealing with the negative thoughts that spark anxiety and adrenalin it helps to talk to it through with a friend or counsellor, or to exercise regularly and eat healthy. It does differ from person to person though everyone is different!

K1rsty
08-05-12, 18:01
I find breathing exercises do help but I did find it very hard to do them / remember to do them at first. It took me quite a bit of time to get the hang of it as my mind would just be all over the place.

PanchoGoz
08-05-12, 18:52
They can help but it's what you don't do in a panic attack that really makes a difference. Maybe instead of deep breathing, just relax your belly instead, concentrate on relaxing your muscles to normal, this will return your breathing to normal.

PanchoGoz
10-05-12, 12:59
Do you enjoy your life in the middle of panic attack jamesrustin? We don't!
I agree that not thinking about it ultimately cures it, although that comes with practise.

CurrieG
13-05-12, 16:53
Hi I would agree, if you can do other things to keep your mind off it that should help. I know from experience it is easier said than done!

Doing the breathing techniques throughout the day will help it become more automatic in time.

Keep positive.

G

waunder
14-05-12, 06:24
I do guided meditation to help me stay on track. I started with just breathing and relaxing techniques, it takes a few times to get into it.

---------- Post added at 00:24 ---------- Previous post was at 00:21 ----------

Oh sorry hit the wrong button........ anyway I have a racing thought process. Can not stop wandering in my head so guided meditation really keeps me on track to learn breathing techniques.