PDA

View Full Version : up from 100 mg to 150 mg

Joannatm
08-05-12, 09:58
Hi guys

I've just been told by doctor to up my dose. I been on 100 for eight weeks now. I feel the anxiety is still lurking and I get a lot of tears behind eyes so she thinks I need that little extra. The doctor said every time she speaks to me I say the same thing over the last three months! I feel she doesn't believe me!

She said they aren't as strong as some drugs as they norm give to pregnant or retired/older people as weaker drug. My friend nurse said the same and she said I was on the wrong ones but how do you tell your GP that one!

I'm worried to up it but I will have to have a go. Worried side effects again/

Jo

grotbags
08-05-12, 11:23
I'd be inclined to give it a little bit longer on your current dose... but of course it depends on how bad you actually feel, and only you know that. The reason I say to try a bit longer - even a week or two - is because when I started Escitalopram it took over two months to start working, and even my doctor told me to switch to something else, but I stuck with it and saw belated results.

Newsty
10-05-12, 15:28
Wow Joannatm - your story sounds so much like mine...

I started around 10 weeks ago on 50mg - after 6 years on Citalopram (20mg) What caused it I dont know but I went into Anxiety/Depression round 3 in my life. I was upped to 100mg agter a week or two on 50mg and had been on 100mg for 8 weeks.

Just a few days ago the doc wanted me to go to 150 but I resisted and said I wanted to do it in 2 jumps - so went on 125mg.

Cutting a long story short we went to Egypt for 2 weeks (from 13th April to 27th) and asked of I could take something to "help" me while the sertraline kicked in. Valium! - I came off it 5-6 days ago (tapered down a bit then just stopped). Anyway back to the story !! - I do not feel much better than I did 4 weeks ago or even 6 weeks ago. I am going to see the GP next week so I will update her.

I too get the watery stary eyes along with flushed red face, cloudy head, still suffering sleepwise (am sleeping but not enough to refresh me).

I do not feel strong enough mentally to go on long walks so ok I am not helping myself too much but listen to relaxation CD's etc

I must be honest I felt that after 10/11 weeks I ought to be feeling some real benefits from the medication.

Joannatm
11-05-12, 07:19
thanks so much grotbag. i didn't read message till today so have started taking higher one already. yesterday felt little strange heightened anxiety too. fingers crossed. how you now on them? how ling they take fully to work?

newsty thanks for your message. getting isn't it. you still real bad? i better than i was.but still lurking. maybe go back doctor and try another one. on my other thread one of the girls has changed and they feeling better. keep me informed x x

Newsty
11-05-12, 09:36
Thanks for reply Joannatm

I am getting better sloooooowly but at week 10/11 I expected to be "back to normal" or at least be able to get through the day without all the angst.

Joannatm
15-05-12, 15:54
I've had real good days then today bang. been on 150 for exactly s week. does this norm happen? been drinking at weekend doesn't help

how's everyone! x

Newsty
16-05-12, 21:45
Hi Joan - went from 125 first - for 10 days - now 150 for last two - a few side effects but feeling much better - give it time, I refused to go straight from 100 to 150 as it is effectively a 50% increase. Hang in there Joan -

Joannatm
16-05-12, 22:18
so pleased you feeling better now. how long you been on them now? takes so long. been on 150 for a week and last few days tired and could cry eyes out. like when first on them.do you feel they working? x keep me posted x

Newsty
17-05-12, 12:37
Hi Joan

Been on sertraline for 11 / 12 weeks - started on 50 , then 100 (went through some bad weeks), then 125 for 2 weeks , now 150 (3 days). I have not had such a bad reaction (if any) as I did on the other increases.
It has taken longer than I thought - I believed the story that it should take 6-8 weeks but we are all different (weight, age , degrees of depression etc). I was BAD - with a capital B , Anxiety as well as Agoraphobia - but 3 months on feel a lot better - still not "normal" - on a scale of 1-10 from being zero I am up at around 6 or 7 -

so............ stick with it.... it does get better.

crazyscot
17-05-12, 12:50
Well after 10 years on 50mg, then 8 months on 100mg, I was increased bu my GP to 150mg yesterday! No major side effects.....yet. Bit of a fuzzy head an hour after taking but thats it so far!!

Back at the GP in 2 wks to see how I'm getting on....she made me make the appt before I left the surgergy!!

Joannatm
17-05-12, 20:55
Pleased you feeling better Newsty. I've been on mine for coming up to 12 weeks and feel better than I did but not there yet. Something still not right.

Good luck Crazyscot do hope the increase works for you. How come you had to up it after 8 months on 100?

Jo x

crazyscot
18-05-12, 16:57
Hiya

Stopped working for me. Was back to feeling like i was when I was 50mg. She says if it doesn't work she will change me to something else!!

Lainy
x

Joannatm
19-05-12, 10:03
so frustrating. i not feeling great today. silly intrusive thoughts suppose that sure effect from upping from 100 to 150 just over a week ago. my friend said maybe i should get used to it as after having.children these things happen and i may be like this all my life now. she also said tablets only help so much! made me feel down as always been happy person x

Newsty
19-05-12, 12:56
it is true unfortunately that tablets only do so much - I am finding that - mny doc says the last 10-20% is down to me, diet, exercise & CBT. I have always been a happy person too - people that know what I am going through say I am the last person they would have thought would get depression & anxiety. work at it... keep positive & slowly but surely you will feel the benefits

Joannatm
19-05-12, 15:17
frustrating though. i know i will get there and you will too x