PDA

View Full Version : Tooth Abscess - in excruciating pain :(

mom1982
08-05-12, 10:00
I went to the dentist on Monday, having had lots of sleepless nights and terrible tooth & gum pain on the lower left side from the molars to the center. Terrible headache, earache and jaw pain.

The dentist took an xray and it was an abscess in the 2nd last molar on the left side. I have been taking antibiotics since Tues and i am in soooooo much pain. Its really like contractions just before giving birth. I'm on morphine pills and its barely helping.

I don't know what to do. I have a consultation appt with a dental surgeon on Thurs, i wanna just remove it, i'm scared of extraction pain and complications. Its the molar and i've never had anything extracted before. Root canals are too expensive and i just want the pain gone straight away.

Pls any advise?

pearl79
08-05-12, 10:58
Poor poor you. Ive had my share of abcesses. They really do suck.
Do you have a large cavity or small? The last one i had was drained then i had antibios. So the relief was instant. Ive also had several tooth exstractions.
Im really not sure what to advise.. Antibios usually kick in 3 days in my expirience.
Let us know how you get on.
I have the dentist my self for a filling.. So not really looking forward to that xx

mom1982
08-05-12, 11:23
thank you so much for replying.

is it normal to be in this much pain? my whole jaw and row of 4 teeth on that side is horribly painful and the gums too. im on condeine and it still hurts bad.

not sure if the cavity is large or small. is it better if i go into the dentist and ask them to drain the pus?

pearl79
08-05-12, 11:32
my side of my face and mouth used to swell up when i had a reaccurring one (was once frightened to go to the dentist so didnt go in 10 years) i would get pain all in my jaw, surrounding teeth, temple, and down my neck. Abcesses really are awful. i would get it drained, but it really does depend on your cavity. my dentist automaticly drained mine, but my teeth are in poor condidtion so my cavities were deep. xx

mom1982
08-05-12, 11:38
did the pain ease immediately after draining and did it need stitching?

Anxious_gal
08-05-12, 11:44
Why are you not on strong painkillers ? Seripusly go get a prescription !
I've had tooth pain before , it can be pure agony .
Rinse your mouth with warm salt water as it helps to draw out the infection .
If the pain stops suddenly it's not because the infection is gone its because the nerve in the tooth has died so there for cant feel pain .

Usually the antibiotics and salt water bring the infection to the surface , you'll see a the gum area go yellow and will pop and all the pus will come out .
I once had my gum swell over a tooth! I eventually lanced it myself with a needle . Not the best thing to do but it worked .

The antibiotics may not be strong enough or something ?
The dentist usually won't work on an infected tooth but it can be done too :)

Sorry to hear you might need the tooth pulled :(
The pressure from the infection is probably what's causing all the pain .

mom1982
08-05-12, 11:54
i started the antibiotics for one full day now. 2 different types they gave me. i just cant stand the pain and i have had 60mg of codeine and still really hurts. i wanna ask them to lance it. the next appt i have is on thurs with a dental surgeon just for a consultation. i want it out but i cant make any appt sooner and im still on antibiotics.

lelespears
08-05-12, 14:24
Had this 2 wks ago was truly horrific. I got anti bios on the Monday and got no relief till Friday but they did work. Until they did I lived on ibrufren & co codemyl.

Lele x

mom1982
09-05-12, 02:48
i know i should look this up, on the internet some articles mentioned that tooth abscess can spread and become brain abscess or meningitis. im trying my best not to let myself get anx but im getting very stressed and worried now cause im still in lots of pain and it doesnt seem to be getting better. My neck gland is sore today. Day 2 on antibiotics.