PDA

View Full Version : to those of you on sertraline

miniminx
08-05-12, 13:22
Ive asked this elsewhere on the forum but thought id ask on the sertraline section too.....
Ive been on 50mg of sert for 17 days... for the last 4 days ive been horrendous!! scared of everything!! shaking , cant eat etc etc......you know the story guys....
now the thing is........can bad side effects kick in as late as two weeks later?
i thought id get them in the beginning, not now.. has anyone else had this?

jimsmrs
08-05-12, 16:26
I've been on them 11 weeks and still have side effects!!!!!

miniminx
08-05-12, 18:58
hi jimsmrs.. have you had side effects from the word go though? i only got my side effects after 15 days or so of taking the sertraline.
i thought side effects came on within the first few days or so, not 2 weeks later... my main side effects are hightened anxiety and toilet rushes ,lol xx

Littlemadam
09-05-12, 10:14
Hi Mini,

At week two and three I was calling Sertraline the devils drug. I hated it so much. I think after week one I started going downhill and it was horrendous, affected my daily life and everything. I thought I have to stick through this, and see if it gets better. I think I am on week 6 or 7 and I am a whole lot better now, anxiety pretty much gone, so persevere with them.

I don't know why, but a few weeks in they do seem to make you worse.

Good luck and let us know how you get on xxx

miniminx
09-05-12, 13:05
Been increased to 100mg today...so lets see how it goes......cant feel any worse than i do surely!!!

jimsmrs
09-05-12, 14:22
Hi Miniminx
the horrible side effects I had have gone now but they started straight away. the one I'm left with now is Diarrhea, only first thing in the morning. I was 50mg for 3 weeks and now 100mg for 8 weeks, Littlemadam is right though stick with them cos they are a slow one especially for anxiety and sometimes you may hit a blip along the way but it should pass. There are a lucky few on here who didn't get any side effects

Keep us posted on your progress

xxxx

Newsty
10-05-12, 16:29
I have been on them for 10 weeks - side effects have never been OTT (apart from insomnia) but I now have watery eyes, flushed face and agoraphobic as hell. Almost frightened to go out in my own back garden, Its stupid I know. I would have throught 10 weeks I should be feeling more relief? I have just upped from 100 to 125mg

jimsmrs
11-05-12, 13:34
Hi Newsty

Please don't ever think you're being stupid, see how you go over the weekend on 125mg, if no improvement then I'd make an appointment with your GP or get the GP to do a home visit if you can't get out to the surgery, Never ever suffer in silence.

Keep us posted

LAURA48
11-05-12, 14:30
I am on Week 2 of Citalopram and the second week and definitely been worse than week one? Suppose the chemicals doing their work.

I remember first being on prozac had no side effects for the first week then bang they all came with a vengeance but it did even out as the weeks went on. Just have to ride them out! easier said than done!!:yesyes:Laura x

Newsty
11-05-12, 18:31
Hi Newsty

Please don't ever think you're being stupid, see how you go over the weekend on 125mg, if no improvement then I'd make an appointment with your GP or get the GP to do a home visit if you can't get out to the surgery, Never ever suffer in silence.

Keep us posted

Thanks for the reply and interest, I will give update. I am still doing everything I normally do (shopping, gardening etc) but in a "fog" - I am determined not to give in to it. Lots of positive thinking, trying to keep occupied etc...

LAURA48
11-05-12, 18:34
Yes try and keep occupied - you may still feel bad - I try and carry on - take the dog for a walk, etc, feel in a fog - horrid feeling but hopefully it will pass - it passed before and never thought it would (15 years ago) - we will get there!

Newsty
11-05-12, 18:37
Bad days are behind us............ good days are ahead.

maryp
24-02-13, 15:24
I have been on them for nearly 4 weeks the side affects for me are panic worse than before I started them....I was on fluoxatine for 10 years and no problems..I felt better and weaned my self off no probs but then stated to go down hill Dr put me on Setraline which i really dont like.i'm coming off these they are making me worse everyday...

Justinf
26-02-13, 03:42
I'm on week 10 of Zoloft. Started at 50mg for a week, then 100mg for four weeks and now 150mg for three weeks. Side effects have been diarrohea for the first few weeks, loss of libido, but otherwise I have found it has been a terrific drug for me. I am starting to feel a lot better.

ruthless
26-02-13, 12:58
Hi

I am on day 26 of Sertraline and not feeling the best! On 50mg for about 2 weeks and then increased to 100mg since.
The panic is not too bad now, but anxiety and thoughts still there. I am signed off work which is something I have never done before.
This morning I didn't think I could face the day so I went back to bed and tried to read. I despair as the house is not getting cleaned and I am hardly doing anything except constantly looking for reassurance/advice on the internet that this is just not me going through this.

I got much worse about 3-4 days after starting Sertraline - but I don't know if it was the meds causing that or would it have happened anyway?
Improvement? I really don't know. Panic attacks are my worst symptom normally but I'm not getting them too bad - unless I go out. I never thought that I would almost feel agrophobic

I have an appt with a counsellor later and I am dreading that but will do it.

This drug is a slow acting one in a lot of cases it appears. Let us all support each other with our decisions about what to do. I am sticking with it at the moment and trying to be hopeful :D

Cassius
27-02-13, 15:35
I've been on Sertraline for two months now. 50mg initially and 100mg now. While I was on the 50mg, my anxiety almost seemed to get worse. When I moved up to the 100mg after two weeks I was pretty much back to my normal self.

I'm not 100% now, but I'm a hell of a lot better than I was, and I was in a seriously dark place, thinking I was going crazy and wondering if I was ever going to get better. So as others have said in this thread, stick with it. A better daily routine, sleeping earlier (as much as you can) and proper exercise really help too.

I couldn't do much exercise to start with as I just felt too tired, but I started with short walks and went up to taking 5 mile walks which really helped me feel a lot better.

Good luck!