PDA

View Full Version : My doctor has said I'm dependent on Valium

grotbags
08-05-12, 16:29
I have been using Valium for about 4 years on an "as needed" basis. I do this to help me go out and enjoy a social life occasionally as I used to be a roombound agoraphobic. Anyway, I have changed to a new GP surgery as I've moved house, and they won't let me have Valium anymore because apparently I am "dependent" and about to get "addicted." Their words not mine.

I jot down in my diary when I use a Valium to make sure I don't take it too often. In May I have taken it one time so far. In April, last month, I took it three times over the entire month. I think the doctor is being totally hysterical but I have had two second opinions and they all agree that I should not be allowed it.

I have no history of addiction or abuse. Being able to have a Valium allows me to take risks and do things that I would not usually do. I have always been responsible with them. I have tried various antidepressants but Valium is the one thing that really does help.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I want to still be able to have the option of Valium on an occasional basis but I take it that those three opinions mean I am not allowed????

haz
08-05-12, 17:06
Apparently there is a big "drive" on at the moment to stop GP's prescribing diazepam. Probably something to do with NICE guidelines??:shrug:

It certainly doesn't sound to me like you are reliant or addicted to them.

Sax
08-05-12, 17:15
Of course Valium is addictive its common knowledge however sporadic use really shouldn't be seen as immediately assumption you are an addict!!!! You use it for quality of life so ...............
I'd say see another Dr! You are free (I believe) in this country to see whichever Dr you wish not bound by registering and having to stick with them!! :bighug1:

LAURA48
08-05-12, 17:27
Hi Grotbags - the only other option is to see a private psychiatrist - I know some people on here do that? Drastic I know but that is disgraceful of the practice are they all young doctors. Could your previous doctor do a letter - you would have to pay - stressing your concerns. I know some on here see a psychiatrist without a GP referral and pay private for them - they are not expensive although you would have to pay for an initial consultation.

Sorry I cannot be of any more help but that is what I would do - I take lorazepam and would not change doctors for that reason - but moving house, is a different thing altogether.

You could always try another practice and see an older doctor they are used to prescribing them more.

mikewales
08-05-12, 18:05
Diazepam addiction is becoming a real problem in the UK, which is one reason doctors are now normally only prescribing it for short courses rather than all the time.

Another reason is that they would rather people try to come to terms and get treatment for the actual problem, rather than masking it with addictive drugs. A lot of people do use it as a crutch - take some when they need to go out, take some if they can't sleep, take some if they feel a bit stressed etc... which is the behaviour they are trying to discourage.

If you need the valium to get out of the house, then in a way this is an addiction, even if you aren't taking it all the time. It may be worth looking at alternative treatments for the agoraphobia.

dan1234
08-05-12, 18:11
We might as well get GP's to stop prescribing, codeine, morphine, tramadol etc as they just mask the problem as well.

Either see a private GP/ shrink or change doctors. There is a last resort whereby you fill in a health questionaire etc and a doctor remotely decides to prescibe or not..

Clearly you are not abusing diazepam, and I think these GP's are idiots.

LAURA48
08-05-12, 18:21
I have to agree with Dan on this one - absolutely ridiculous - no wonder people resort to recreational drugs! booze and cigs! as this is what people are up against - most people need a crutch of some sort - we are only human after all.

eight days a week
08-05-12, 19:06
We might as well get GP's to stop prescribing, codeine, morphine, tramadol etc as they just mask the problem as well.

Either see a private GP/ shrink or change doctors. There is a last resort whereby you fill in a health questionaire etc and a doctor remotely decides to prescibe or not..

Clearly you are not abusing diazepam, and I think these GP's are idiots.

Absolutely.

mikewales
08-05-12, 19:08
I think part of the problem is while there are people who use it sensibly and occasionally, there are also an awful lot take it daily, and with something as addictive as valium that isn't good.

Most docs now seem to be sticking to only giving one or two weeks supply for emergencies, but there are obviously still ones out there who are providing long term prescriptions, but I have a feeling this isnt going to go on much longer

london
08-05-12, 19:11
dopey doctor
thay all jump on the band wagon stop this and stop that
well iam on them and my dotor is fine over it
he cant stop you just like that
tell him to look in the BNF he will know what it is
good luck
god bless

dan1234
08-05-12, 19:23
The BNF says 2-4 weeks, for severe anxiety. Something like that anyway.

OP how long would 28 tablets last you?

eight days a week
08-05-12, 19:37
I think part of the problem is while there are people who use it sensibly and occasionally, there are also an awful lot take it daily, and with something as addictive as valium that isn't good.

Most docs now seem to be sticking to only giving one or two weeks supply for emergencies, but there are obviously still ones out there who are providing long term prescriptions, but I have a feeling this isnt going to go on much longer

As of three and a half years ago I couldn't get a prescription for more than 20mg over three days once per month.

Having nowhere else to turn, and with an undiagnosed heart problem as well as suffering a nervous breakdown, I turned to alcohol.

In the end I almost killed myself through drinking 24/7 as the only alternative.

Now my GP and psychiatrist agree that 8mg diazepam daily - every day - is what I need for my anxiety, although by choice I have been able to get as low as I can, always - which is 1mg per day at best. For me it is not an abusable drug (unlike alcohol, which I still drink moderately, and when I wish to - on special occasions - to excess).

There is no way in the world that the original poster, from what they have said, has a problem with this medication.

If I was now back where I was when I was originally denied a prescription for daily diazepam - and knew what I know now - I would have absolutely no hesitation in finding a reliable online source of diazepam and self-medicating.

Wikipedia is absolutely correct that 'Diazepam is a core medicine in the WHO's "Essential Drug List", which is a list of minimum medical needs for a basic health care system.' And for good reason - it is a lifesaver for certain people.

The GP drive is all political, and almost all of them don't know what they're doing (not just with this, full-stop) in my experience, and I am sick of reading apologists for GPs and the NHS in general on this website.

It's a disgrace and if I didn't have so many other things to deal with in my life constantly, and had more money, then I would take legal advice and look at suing my (former) GPs for almost costing me my life by leaving me little choice (legally) other than alcohol.

Right, I am a bit het-up now so am going to go and calm down by cooking some pork escalopes for the family ;)

dan1234
08-05-12, 19:52
Brilliant post - sorry about what happened though. 8mg diazepam isn't a high dose anyway... Do you take anything else apart from diaz ?

Dan

Anxious_gal
08-05-12, 20:15
You might be mentally addicted or dependent on it but the same can be said for people who use antidepressants.
I take mine very rarely , but I'm lucky my doctor knows I couldn't be phycsially addicted!
You'd be taking them every day if you were full on addicted .
I would see a physiatrist in my opinion they live writing outperscribtions

mikewales
08-05-12, 20:39
Eight - I wasn't saying it was right or wrong what they are doing, BUT... we all have to live within whatever decisions ( for whatever reasons ) the doctors, NHS and government make. In come cases this is wrong for the person involved, and in some cases it can be right as it can lead people to find better, long term solutions to whatever problems they have.

At the moment the NHS seem to have this big drive to get everyone of valium and similar drugs, which is why I posted to let the OP know why the doc has probably said this, not that they are particularly worried about them having an addiction.

Different people use different methods of coping with things, as you did with alcohol, but that isn't to say its always the best way to do things, even if it can look like the easiest option at times.

kittikat
08-05-12, 21:48
Have to agree with dan1234 and london here....I am also on diazepam and it has been a lifesaver for me. Without it I would probably be housebound too. I have used it on an 'as & when' basis for about 6 years and following a breakdown in November I have been on 12mg a day. I am now having CBT and I have very recently started to reduce my dose of vallium...my choice, not my doctors. I don't feel I have built up a tolerance or dependence. It has it's place in anxiety treatment and for many it is a lifesaver. I feel for you here grotbags, and I really don't believe you are addicted at all. I know a lot of doctors wont prescribe it, I guess I have been lucky. I suppose you could get your old doctor to write a letter as laura says, and as london states, I don't think they can just stop it like that. I wish you luck...let us know how you get on....I hope you have some 'emergency' stock in....

Kitti :) xx

london
08-05-12, 21:52

how long would 28 tablets last you?
what the BNF say about comeing off them
god bless

kittikat
08-05-12, 22:33
What Professor Heather Ashton says about withdrawal.....

(1) Consult your doctor and pharmacist. Your doctor may have views on whether it is appropriate for you to stop your benzodiazepines. In a small number of cases withdrawal may be inadvisable. Some doctors, particularly in the US, believe that long-term benzodiazepines are indicated for some anxiety, panic and phobic disorders and some psychiatric conditions. However, medical opinions differ and, even if complete withdrawal is not advised, it may be beneficial to reduce the dosage or to take intermittent courses with benzodiazepine-free intervals.
Your doctor's agreement and co-operation is necessary since he/she will be prescribing the medication. Many doctors are uncertain how to manage benzodiazepine withdrawal and hesitate to undertake it. But you can reassure your doctor that you intend to be in charge of your own program and will proceed at whatever pace you find comfortable, although you may value his advice from time to time. It is important for you to be in control of your own schedule. Do not let your doctor impose a deadline. Leave yourself free to "proceed as the way openeth"

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

grotbags
09-05-12, 11:44
Apparently there is a big "drive" on at the moment to stop GP's prescribing diazepam. Probably something to do with NICE guidelines??:shrug:

It certainly doesn't sound to me like you are reliant or addicted to them.

I think this is what it is. My current GP said that they don't give them out at this surgery! I'll be changing surgeries soon when I move house so hopefully I will get a more understanding doctor.

---------- Post added at 11:32 ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 ----------

You could always try another practice and see an older doctor they are used to prescribing them more.

That's an idea - an older doctor.

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

If you need the valium to get out of the house, then in a way this is an addiction, even if you aren't taking it all the time.

I suppose this is what they're trying to say. But then that makes me addicted to my acne medication as well.

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

Dan, Laura, Eight Days, London... completely agree. Thanks for the feedback. Doctor's attitudes can be quite brainwashing sometimes and it led me to believe I might have been in denial or something. The GPs at my previous surgery didn't mind prescribing this for me as they could see that I wasn't getting represcriptions very often. I suppose I'll have to wait and see what happens when I change surgeries.

Funnily enough I have considered aying a private psychiatrist, and I won't rule this out if my new GP surgery is a crap as my current one.

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 ----------

OP how long would 28 tablets last you?

Not sure how long 28 would last. My last prescription was for 14 x 5mg tablets and I got that in a good couple of months ago. I usually take two of these but sometimes just one.

dan1234
09-05-12, 14:12
Not sure if I can suggest this, but I will anyway. Do you know anyone who uses diazepam who could give you a couple? If you are only using 3 a month or so, then it wouldn't be a problem. Seems a bit drastic going through all the hassle of changing GP's just because they don't prescribe benzos.

I take 12mgs/d - and am happy at this dose.

Magic
09-05-12, 15:09
I had the same thing happen to me years ago when we had a new doc .I was really upset and dreaded not having any in the house whether i needed them or not.
i was not abusing taking the meds, just now and again.
I went to another doc in the same practice and she gave them on repeat script ever since (touch wood)

grotbags
09-05-12, 19:19
Not sure if I can suggest this, but I will anyway. Do you know anyone who uses diazepam who could give you a couple? If you are only using 3 a month or so, then it wouldn't be a problem. Seems a bit drastic going through all the hassle of changing GP's just because they don't prescribe benzos.

I take 12mgs/d - and am happy at this dose.

I have to change surgeries anyway as I'm moving house soon! Also the doctors here are useless in other ways. 5 weeks to wait for an appointment!! Fun.

I find around 12mg to be a good dose. That knocks out even a severe panic attack for me. I have noticed they give out a lot of 2mg prescriptions.

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

I had the same thing happen to me years ago when we had a new doc .I was really upset and dreaded not having any in the house whether i needed them or not.
i was not abusing taking the meds, just now and again.
I went to another doc in the same practice and she gave them on repeat script ever since (touch wood)

Oh thank you Magic. That sounds promising. Glad they let you have it on repeat. When used responsibily I think they are life changing.

moirascott
09-05-12, 20:17
Hi all

I do not wish to rock the boat here, but they are and I quote

The first benzodiazepine was marketed in 1959. It was described as a 'minor tranquilliser' and an alternative to barbiturates. Benzodiazepines act by enhancing the effect of gamma-aminobutyric acid on the GABA-A receptor, thereby resulting in CNS depression. They are anxiolytic, hypnotic, anticonvulsant and muscle relaxants. They also cause psychomotor retardation.

They are useful in the short term. However, long-term use (more than three months, possibly even after a few weeks) is associated with dependence and withdrawal syndrome 1. One study found that up to 44% of chronic users become dependent.

Definition of being dependant is :

Tolerance: a need for markedly increased amounts of the substance to achieve intoxication or desired effect or markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of the substance.

Withdrawal: the characteristic withdrawal syndrome for the substance or the same (or a closely related) substance is taken to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms.

The substance is often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than was intended.

There is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control substance abuse.
A great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain the substance, use the substance or recover from its effects.

Important social, occupational or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of substance use.

The substance use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by the substance.

The NICE guidelines now state that they should only be used as a short term relief ie no more than 2 - 3 weeks. It's a crutch and not a long term method of controlling anxiety.

After a few weeks of taking a benzodiazepine or Z drug each day, the body and brain often become used to the medicine. In many people it gradually loses its effect. The initial dose then has little effect and so a higher dose is needed for it to work. In time, the higher dose does not work, and so an even higher dose is needed, and so on. This effect is called tolerance.

If the drug is taken for more than 4 weeks, there is a chance you will become addicted to it. This means that withdrawal symptoms occur if the tablets are stopped suddenly. In effect, you need the medicine to feel 'normal'.

Most people who have taken a benzodiazepine or Z drug can successfully come off it. After switching to diazepam (described above), the pace and speed of withdrawal varies greatly from person to person. Go at a pace that is comfortable for you after discussion with your doctor. For many people, the gradual withdrawal and eventual stopping of diazepam takes several months. However, some people take up to a year to reduce the dose gradually before finally stopping it.

If diazepam is used responsibily it is for "short term use" ie a crisis and not to be taken everyday etc. If you are suffering from panic attacks on a daily basis without the diazepam then I think your gp has failed you, because therapy does more good in the long term rather than diazepam.

Moira

dan1234
09-05-12, 20:22
What is the source of this information? Several inaccuracies I can see just by having a quick skim of it.

nicola1980
09-05-12, 20:30
Wow well that posts just freaked me out! Ive been using diaz and zop daily under physchatrists orders for a while now! X x

moirascott
09-05-12, 20:31
What is the source of this information? Several inaccuracies I can see just by having a quick skim of it.

Wikipedia, NICE Guidelines and also Patient UK.

I have also had a short supply of Diazapam myself for a "Crisis" that happened, had a supply of 14 and took 3.

Moira

and my own opinion

kittikat
09-05-12, 20:51
I call it scaremongering nicola...I wouldn't worry too much...I have to agree with dan1234. We all know that diazepam can be addictive and people can build up a tolerance. I have been on 12mg daily for 6 months and have never felt any tolerance as defined in moirascotts post........

"Tolerance: a need for markedly increased amounts of the substance to achieve intoxication or desired effect or markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of the substance".

And why then do people on SSRI/SNRI type meds also have to taper off slowly...does that not suggest a dependance, also some are on these types of meds for years....does that not suggest dependency too?

Each to their own I say....as long as you are not abusing. They basically all only mask our symptoms anyway....they are not a means to an end.

I am monitored by my GP every 2 weeks and I am now starting to slowly reduce as I feel I am making some progress with my anxiety...this is my choice and not on doctors orders. Therefore I believe I am not addicted....they have helped me through a very difficult time but I am slowly improving......

This is only my opinion and I do not mean to offend anyone :) Kitti

moirascott
09-05-12, 22:03
Hi all

TBH I think you are all missing the OP heading, which is what I have commented on "My doctor has said I'm dependent on Valium".

I have given my honest opinion.

Moira

dan1234
09-05-12, 22:24
Ye - Course the OP is addicted to diazepam, she has 3 a month. GP's are never wrong/ economical with the truth are they. I have a couple of pints a month - should I contact AA?

Maybe diazepam usage requires more monitoring for the GP ie not putting it on repeat, hence costing the NHS more money, whereas citalopram or any shitty antidepressant can be put on repeat.

I will address your post tomorrow. Maybe not misquoting the NICE guidelines would be a good idea.

KK77
09-05-12, 22:47
The best person placed to gauge whether a med or treatment is beneficial is the patient. All this chopping and changing of meds is a sure way to screw you up and I've told quite a few docs who recently wanted me to change meds for 'cost' reasons that I'm not a guinea pig in a lab.

Yes benzos are addictive. No question about that. But SSRIs are no easier to discontinue, obviously varying from person to person, but nevertheless a nightmare for many. I know from bitter experience.

If a med is helping then make your case and defend yourself. If it was so bad then they shouldn't have prescribed it in the first place and got you hooked on it. If they are the doc they have that responsibility to the patient.

london
09-05-12, 23:24
The best person placed to gauge whether a med or treatment is beneficial is the patient. All this chopping and changing of meds is a sure way to screw you up and I've told quite a few docs who recently wanted me to change meds for 'cost' reasons that I'm not a guinea pig in a lab.

Yes benzos are addictive. No question about that. But SSRIs are no easier to discontinue, obviously varying from person to person, but nevertheless a nightmare for many. I know from bitter experience.

If a med is helping then make your case and defend yourself. If it was so bad then they shouldn't have prescribed it in the first place and got you hooked on it. If they are the doc they have that responsibility to the patient.

good post and a true one
god bless

suzy-sue
09-05-12, 23:59
I will address your post tomorrow. Maybe not misquoting the NICE guidelines would be a good idea.
The evidence examined by the NICE Guideline Development Group suggested that benzodiazepines were effective in the short term for generalised anxiety disorder but not the long term. In addition, because of the risk of dependence and withdrawal, NICE has recommended that benzodiazepines should not usually be used for more than 2 to 4 weeks for the treatment of generalised anxiety disorder......

I dont see what Moira said that was any different to this Dan ...:shrug:..Sue

pooh
10-05-12, 05:21
This is an interesting one. First, a little of my own history with diazepam usage. For approx 5 years I have been prescribed diazepam at different doses and for different reasons. I have been on as much as 15 mgs a day and also used it on an as required basis for long periods of time. Occasionally, I have also had none at all through my own choice. I have never been referred to as an addict and I have never found myself in a position of needing more to achieve the same level of relief. The twice that I have been on the highest doses were in hospital and when the side effects of starting citalopram very nearly saw me readmitted. I have always otherwise used it very sensibly. This means if I find myself in a situation that I cannot distract myself from the anxiety and talk myself down I will take it. For the past six months, my anxiety and panic disorder combined with my agoraphobia has had me mostly housebound. My doctor has applauded my sensible attitude and usage of diazepam and several months ago it was at my prompting that he reduce my prescription quantity. My GP knows me extremely well and has seen me full blown panic attack often enough to know the extent to which I can suffer. I am also lucky in that he is pretty on the ball with mental health issues too. He vetoed my attending the psychologist for CBT for the moment because we couldn't guarantee I could make every appointment which would result in me being dropped. I have a support worker and I'm currently waiting on a CPN. My doctor reckons that we are looking at possibly two years to get me back to fully functioning ie working and going out and having a social life, all of which I had right up until a spectacular crash with my mental health round about October last year. And here is where reality bites. The funding and placement into alternative treatment programmes is not always available or requires long waiting lists. When arrived at it is also not effective for everyone. Some people for example, might find that CBT will just never work for them. I am not advocating that diazepam should be used as an alternative, but rather as just one tool, one piece of a jigsaw of therapies that aid the person with anxiety, panic and agoraphobia to lead a more productive and happier life. In other words, no way can the sporadic use of diazepam be classed as addiction. I have been a Support worker and worked specifically in addictions and with mental health. Every single person I worked with had some sort of benzo to take on an as required basis. A little perspective. There are lots of people who feel that once a week they just have to go out and have a drink and get drunk. Come hell or high water and whatever, they make sure they get that once a week drinking in. NOW THAT is classed as addictive behaviour and that person is also considered to have an alcoholic problem. In short, the doctor that made this decision is a ****. Panic disorder isn't just about feeling nervous and a little anxious as we all know. It has the ability to cripple our entire way of life, to colour everything and to be all consuming. In my opinion having diazepam to take in difficult situations and where it is not abused is absolutely fine and is not indicative of any kind of problem at all. May I also suggest that guidelines are exactly that...guidelines. Every patient is different and what they require will be different. In a perfect world all the treatments would be available immediately to anyone that required it, but that's not the world we live in. Unfortunately for those of us with mental health issues we are too often at the mercy of doctors that don't have a clue and governments that don't give a dog's poo about investing in the mental health of their people. Good luck with finding a more understanding doctor :)

Pooh xx

shine
10-05-12, 06:41
I have to agree with Dan on this one - absolutely ridiculous - no wonder people resort to recreational drugs! booze and cigs! as this is what people are up against - most people need a crutch of some sort - we are only human after all.

That's garbage talk! How about feed back that actually help somebody off of drugs. Ok, real talk, how about honor stays on valium for his good years. Yea, maybe he gets through the day for many and many days like years. Ok what does that do? Bypass who he really is. Yes that is exactly what the drug does. Well, let us look at it as a crutch. Even us that break a leg get better. Ok, but what if it is a long term crutch well, then the drug controls you. Now, what if that could be avoided. I wouldn't recommend anyone to quit there meds. There are other options. You need to fight for your life. I you understand people on meds believe me. I live for years with two bipolar family members and I love them both. I'm not sayin stop taking the valium, please look at other options. NEVER STOP looking for options that would disclosure a method of such a mind altering drug. Already believe in the bible, Gods word, Think how they went through it. No Pnamachsy , No phychaitrist , No valium, when things got unmanageable they turn to the lord. That's what honor needs to do Pray that he will find the truth. I promise if he humbled himself and prayed to his heavenly father, then he would start to know who he is. Maybe a little more searching, He would know who his heavenly father is and then would he get better.

wlizzie
10-05-12, 06:53
its good that you are so passionate shine , but for religion of any sort to work for us we need to have faith and unfortunately many of us are not that blessed. :flowers:

Magic
10-05-12, 09:46
Well said wlizzie:hugs:I may have to buy a encyclopedia to get my head around some things that have been posted on this subject:lac:

moirascott
10-05-12, 20:43
The evidence examined by the NICE Guideline Development Group suggested that benzodiazepines were effective in the short term for generalised anxiety disorder but not the long term. In addition, because of the risk of dependence and withdrawal, NICE has recommended that benzodiazepines should not usually be used for more than 2 to 4 weeks for the treatment of generalised anxiety disorder......

I dont see what Moira said that was any different to this Dan ...:shrug:..Sue

Thank you sue !

darksideofthemoon
10-05-12, 22:54
I really dislike people who tell others to turn to god. When you are having anxiety problems it is very hard to use religion as a way out of your anxiety problems. Most people with severe anxiety issues will just get worse if they try the religion route. Trust me it happened to me.

You can look at this religion issue another way it is also just a crutch. Take the crutch away and what do you think happens. Not a good outcome.

My suggestion to grotbags is to come to America the a**hole doctors here give you just about anything you ask for its sad. They do not care whatsover that you may get addicted. You have a way better healthcare system in the UK than we do here in America.

ANG3LIC
10-05-12, 23:18
ive had experiance with diazepam.. you should nt be took off them just like that, i know u said u dont use everyday but it can cause fits n has awful withdrawls i would think your new doc should know its wrong to just 'stop' them. good luck xxx

grotbags
12-05-12, 18:43
Thanks for your thoughts on this everyone.

Alabasterlyn
12-05-12, 19:44
Taking Valium on an "as needed" basis is surely not an addiction. I know lots of people who take various types of benzos just when they feel they are very anxious and none of them have become addicted. Surely a GP should be making sure they monitor their patients to ensure they only take them responsibly.

I was prescribed Librium which is very similar to Valium back in 1981. I am still taking them all these years on. I'm obviously not happy to be taking them as I am quite sure they no longer work, however by the same token I have never felt the need to increase the dosage, which I believe to be the equivalent of 8mgs of Valium.

When I have gone to my GP for help with coming off them I have been told it's harder coming off benzos than coming off Heroin and been actively discouraged from going down that route. I think the bottom line is that most GP's know that people who have taken them for a long time are going to need help that they are unable to give, so they take the easy way out, which is to carry on prescribing.

Obviously GP's are more enlightened now and not allowing patients to become reliant on these meds, but I really can't see how the odd pill now and again is going to harm anyone. It's like they have gone from the extremes of over prescribing to under prescribing and it's us, the victims of anxiety, who pay the price.

london
12-05-12, 20:05
That's garbage talk! How about feed back that actually help somebody off of drugs. Ok, real talk, how about honor stays on valium for his good years. Yea, maybe he gets through the day for many and many days like years. Ok what does that do? Bypass who he really is. Yes that is exactly what the drug does. Well, let us look at it as a crutch. Even us that break a leg get better. Ok, but what if it is a long term crutch well, then the drug controls you. Now, what if that could be avoided. I wouldn't recommend anyone to quit there meds. There are other options. You need to fight for your life. I you understand people on meds believe me. I live for years with two bipolar family members and I love them both. I'm not sayin stop taking the valium, please look at other options. NEVER STOP looking for options that would disclosure a method of such a mind altering drug. Already believe in the bible, Gods word, Think how they went through it. No Pnamachsy , No phychaitrist , No valium, when things got unmanageable they turn to the lord. That's what honor needs to do Pray that he will find the truth. I promise if he humbled himself and prayed to his heavenly father, then he would start to know who he is. Maybe a little more searching, He would know who his heavenly father is and then would he get better.

god dont wany us to suffer- yes pray your right but we have to see dotors to and meds-
and lets not forget Luke, the doctor

haz
13-05-12, 22:52
Myself and my Psychiatrist have agreed that 12mg is my maintenance dose. I am currently on 15mg to help with side effects as my ad's have recently been increased. However I do plan to gradually reduce this back to 12mg.

I think the real problem is the people who use diazepam as a recreational drug and unfortunately those of us who actually need it for anxiety are paying the price for this.

Haz.