PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attacks and Exercise

brentcat
09-05-12, 09:18
For those of you who don't know my circumstances, I'm 18 years old and my panic attacks/anxiety was triggered by marijuana approximately 5 months ago.

Over the last month I've made substantial dietary changes in an effort to increase fitness and hopefully therefore my panic/anxiety.

Today however, while exercising with a personal trainer who is a good friend, i experienced pains in my chest. This is not the first time it as occurred. We decided to stop, although the pains continued. I decided i would head home, only to step outside and have dizziness, chest tightness and pains as well as palpitations. I eventually went to the doctors for an ECG which was fine.

Does anyone else experience panic attacks during or as a result of exercise?

Has anyone had any success in avoiding them in exercise?

Finally, the chest tightness really concerned me today, are there any ways you guys are aware of which can reduce this particular symptom?

BobbyDog
09-05-12, 12:29
I get anxious when I exercise at the Gym, I find that it only happens when the workout is very strenuous. When it happens, do not abruptly stop what you are doing, but slow down for 5 minutes or so, until your heart rate gets back to normal.

Pacific
09-05-12, 19:40
Like BobbyDog said try lighter exercises. Exercise is very good for anxiety as it helps release stress i think. but try to build it up not do too much at once maybe

toshtao
12-05-12, 08:00
As stated before, a big mistake people make when starting exercise for the first time is to go overboard. They think by overexerting them self the first time they will get instant results. We all know this is not true.

You must start slow and build yourself up. Have your body get used to exercising first. After you are done for the day, you then want to exercise less strenuously in order to lower the heart rate back to normal.