PDA

View Full Version : Should I give up on citalopram?

slowfish
09-05-12, 12:25
Hi

I have now been on citalopram for over a year. Started on 20mg in March 2011 when I changed over from mirtazapine. Upped to 30mg in May and then 40mg in Aug but the felt too "medicated" and drowsy on 40mg so reduced down. Eventually reduced down to 20mg at Xmas as the plan was to move over to another AD as felt citalopram just hadn't worked for me this time round.

Just spoke to GP and we decided to try upping again, 20mg one day, 30mg the next, then 20mg, etc

I've never felt back to normal on cit - have OK days and blips that last for a few days but the fog has definitely not lifted this past year.

Am I being stupid? Should I just bite the bullet and change to another AD rather than perserve with cit?

Thanks for listening.

dan1234
09-05-12, 14:20
If you are prepared for a few weeks/month of side effects, then change...

pinkdove
09-05-12, 15:48
slowfish i had no side effects changing from cit to ven, and like you it was the second time around for me, bite the bullet and change you have given them long enough now, i stayed on them 13 months, and although they made me feel better they never got me back to normal , and i know what you mean about the fuzzy head thing, never went for me either.

now i find ven a much gentler less medicated feeling that cit, don't be afraid to swap, have a read through my cit ti ven thread, and you will get lots of good advice there, hope all goes well at the doc's tomorrow xx

Ingenious
09-05-12, 17:37
I think the fact you have been on it a year is significant. After that amount of time you should be doing well, not still struggling and feeling as if the medication is either too little or too much. I would definitely see how the latest dosage change works, but if you don't feel right, you've every right to seek some change after a year.

The success stories in this forum, including my own, show what happens when you get the right medication for you, life really does improve :)

Some people are lucky and get the right medication first time, some need trial and error (my wonder drug was Mirtazapine, which I came onto after 6 months of Citalopram) and other people go through 3 or 4 different ones. It's one thing that annoys me about so called "modern" medical science - what a lottery medication is.

Like you, I never felt quite right on Citalopram. It is very hard to explain, but on 20-30mg I felt like my brain had been retuned out of reality just slightly and on 40mg I felt quite on edge and very blurry.

BobbyDog
09-05-12, 17:51
I agree with Ingenious, sometimes you have to try a few different types of antidepressants before you find one that makes you feel good. I have tried nearly all of the medications that a doctor can prescribe for depression/anxiety over the years.
I am now on a new combination.
If you feel that Citalopram is not working for you, ask him if you can try something else.. fingers crossed it will work out for you. You have persevered.

joy
09-05-12, 18:24
what combination are you on cos I havent found ny anti deps that work yet

Joy

dan1234
09-05-12, 19:10
Joy if you tell is what you have tried then maybe suggestions could be made?

theharvestmouse
09-05-12, 22:13
I'm coming off Citalopram, to be honest I am very anti medication, I don't believe it has done anything at all, apart from reassuring myself that I take a tablet for my anxiety.

joy
10-05-12, 15:50
been on Seroxat, citalopram, sertraline,mirtazapine,loferamine,another tricyic I cant remember, cipralex. pregalin and various anti pyschotics

Ok what next

Love Joy

dan1234
10-05-12, 16:15
been on Seroxat, citalopram, sertraline,mirtazapine,loferamine,another tricyic I cant remember, cipralex. pregalin and various anti pyschotics

Ok what next

Love Joy

Have you tried a SNRI like venlafaxine or duloxetine ?

Maybe imipramine, after an SNRI.

Some form of therapy alongside, maybe CBT? Hypnotherapy etc..

A strong benzo at least in the short term, or as needed. Maybe clonazepam.

What was your experience with pregabalin - did it just not help or could you not tolerate the side effects - there are other medications in the same family which can be used off licence for anxiety by a shrink.

joy
10-05-12, 21:21
oh yes forgotten I,ve tried ven and duloxotine. Just starting cbt and relaxation therapy. Nhs shrink has reduced my benzos which is why I'm seeing a private shrink on Mon who is also a cbt expert.Tried hypnotherapy couldnt relax enough for it to work
Cant remember about the preg dont think it worked very well but perhaps I needed a higher dose. I've had so many changes its hard to remember. Thanks for your interest

Love Joy