PDA

View Full Version : Barium swallow tomorrow,anyone had one?

mike_coventry_uk
09-05-12, 18:57
I am due to have a barium swallow in the morning due to the constant mucous production and aggravating acid reflux!

Has anyone ever had this test before? I want to know what to expect? When do I get the results? (my ent doc has booked a follow up on July 8th that is ages to wait)

I am hopeful of getting whatever the problem is sorted because it's getting to me the time it's taken! I waited for this appointment almost 12 months!

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Mike

nomorepanic
09-05-12, 19:07
Mike

Whilst waiting for replies scroll down to the bottom of the screen here and look at "similar threads"

mikewales
09-05-12, 20:45
I've had it, and it isnt that bad, the barium stuff is like a thick milkshake, not the most pleasant thing to drink, but it isnt so bad. They x-ray you as you take gulps of it so they can see the passage of it down your throat and into your stomach.

It was a while ago, but seem to remember it was done pretty quickly, and the results took around a week to get back to my GP.

You do end up with slightly radioactive poo for a couple of days afterwards though !

amandaj
10-05-12, 10:15
ive had this also as mike said the drink isnt that pleasant ,but it is over quickly and i asked if they saw anything there and then they told me no, maybe if tell them how anxious you are they might tell you hope it goes well

Jamesk
10-05-12, 10:40
I concur with the above - it wasn't too unpleasant, but expect an "interesting" lavatorial experience afterwards. :roflmao:

mike_coventry_uk
10-05-12, 11:44
I have just come out the hospital now! The actual xray and barium solution was fine nothug to it at all

My only concern is that i was asked to lie in all different positions to get x rays i am worried now that they saw something and tht is why they did it?

My follow up appointment is on july 4th that is ages away but i want the reulys asap! :( they just said if there was anything wrong on the xrays i would get a call!

Bit nervous now!

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 ----------

Also i was asked to cough several times during the xrays? Dont understand why?......

Too many questions!

stuart39
10-05-12, 12:35
the coughing may highlight any muscle/tissue weak spots that could perhaps be giving you the reflux-thats my guess.

yes barium swallow must have changed sometime in the last 6 years. i had one earlier this year and the solution was easy to drink and swallow but when i one before in 2006 the solution was horrible and hard to get down. now you can drink it through a straw.

if they ask you to go in for an endoscopy afterwards then again nothing to worry about. i would not have sedation i would go for a local throat spray. i dont watch the consultant as he inserts the scope into the mouth i just close my eyes relax and keep breathing deeply. less than 5 minutes later youre up and away!