PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder dislocation

simms
07-07-06, 16:52
I managed to disclocate my shoulder a couple of days ago after falling on it which was extremley painful. I was panicing a bit when in the A + E dept at hospital as I knew it was a dislocation as my shoulder looked out of shape but my gf did not believe me and kept reassuring me it was just a strain, although I did well to keep the anxiety under control. After watching programmes about having to pop it back in was worrying me I did not want any1 to touch me. After an x-ray it was a confirmed dislocation but no breaks thankfully. They gave me morphine via IV drip which was a sign in itself more pain was yet to come but then the doctor came along and after gentle pressure poppped my shoulder back into place and suprisingly it did not hurt. However a couple days along with my arm in a sling I'm expriencing pain, discomfort and have not seen much progress in my recovery. I suppose a couple of das is nothing but my anxiety levels are up and down and there sems no end it sight to my pain. Painkillers do no seem to help. Sleeping in a nightmare and I feel I'm going crazy as I cannot get comfortable no matter what position I move to. I suppose I wanted reassurance from some who may have had this injury or similar ? I'm due to go back to the hospital in a few days time for a follow up.

rach1
08-07-06, 09:58
When you dislocate anything you also damage all the ligaments and tendons around that area. Sometimes this can be moe painful than a break and take longer to heal.

I dislocated my kne and I was in pain for days. It will get better it just takes time.

Rach

tara
08-07-06, 11:43
Hi simms,

I have managed to dislocate my left shoulder twice !!!
Once a few years ago and once about 3 months ago. The first time I was straightening the edges of a mat and bent down and out it popped, I turned green !!! and the second time...well i was only taking my top off and out it popped. It's not nice I know !!!

I managed to put mine back in both times (owch) but I did visit the hospital on the first occasion. It took me over 6 weeks to gain confidence to use it again and to reach up to turn on a light switch was a no no for months.

Sleeping is a pain and also I experienced a numb or dead arm for a while too. It will be weak for a while too.

I also protected it for ages and avoided using it.

It's back to normal now and i'm using it fine. Hope this helps . Tara x