PDA

View Full Version : Cancer adverts...

Connor_cbt
09-05-12, 23:50
I suspect most of you (in the uk at least) will know what i am talking about. I have written a complaint to the ASA about them as i feel they are scaremongering as opposed to educating. I dont have health anxiety but even i was starting to wonder if i had lung and bowel cancer after about the dozen or so adverts within a couple of hours of TV. Of course people need to be made aware but I really think that the adverts are not the right way to go about it.

All the best,

candy_floss
10-05-12, 00:03
It's difficult really isn't it? People need to be made aware of the symptoms so that they don't just ignore them, but at the same time us HA sufferers have enough to worry about without seeing that everytime we switch on the TV.
Thanks to that bowel cancer advert, I went running to my doctor about blood in my stool convincing myself I was dying. It turned out to be nothing in the end.

The absolute worse example I've seen of it was ironically when I was sat in a waiting room at a breast clinic, waiting to have my ultrasound done. There was a TV in the corner that was tuned in to some cheerful programme on the history channel about the Nazi's killing people (way to lighten the mood:huh:). During the ad break, a cancer advert came on where some cancer patient was talking about a friend he'd met in hospital who unfortunately had a more aggressive form of cancer than him and so he died quite quickly! The room was completely silent at this point and everyone in their heard every word. As if we weren't all worried enough already?!
I really couldn't believe that 1) such a scary advert was commissioned in the first place and 2) that none of staff had thought to switch it off.

KK77
10-05-12, 00:21
I always mute it on the ads - can't stand them - so don't know what they're banging on about half the time :lac:

Kelseywelseyyy
10-05-12, 01:55
My heart went, sure a cough that has lasted a while may be more and it is better to be safe than sorry. But it could also just be a cough!!

xfilme
10-05-12, 03:41
I totally agree. Scaremongering is everywhere. I think they do it based on the assumption that most of us are too ignorant to understand our own bodies in the slightest. I personally dont feel that an advert inside the toilets of my local pub, telling me about blood in your stools, is either appropriate or fair. Im sure any person who passed excessive blood from any orifice would have the sense to question what it is. Also, just like one of the other posts mentioned, I was also sat in a waiting room because I was concerned about a breast problem and there was a tv in there with people telling sad stories of friends who have died of breast cancer. I understand awareness is important, but is it really necessary in the likes of a doctors surgery, where the fact the patients are sat on the chairs with the stupid tv in front of them is fairly clear evidence that all those present are already aware enough to be seeking help in the first place. There are so many Health Anxiety sufferers out there. I have suffered from it for 4 years from losing my mum to cancer. Scaremongering is EVERYWHERE. Its on facebook, in the form of status updates, saying "people with cancer only hope for one thing, to get better. post this as a status to show support". its on the magazines as you walk through the supermarkets, on the TV, on youtube, you look up videos on dry skin, and find pictures of melanoma, practically EVERY tv series you watch has to put a cancer theme in it somewhere for dramatic effect... its just unavoidable. I have got to the point where I got rid of my TV license because TV triggers too much panic, I never listen to the radio, I dont buy magazines, I dont watch or read about the news, I dont visit ANY medical sites.... its just crazy. The majority of us are sensible and know, thanks to common sense, how to keep an eye on our own health. Those who do not have common sense to know this, probably wont be enlightened by any type of informative literature or media publicity. Self preservation is instinct surely? Even those too afraid to go to the doctor are aware that they need to. It makes me so angry. Why cant they give us HA sufferers a break? Media is making this world seem far more scary that it needs to be. It would be far healthier if they replaced all that stuff with posters that said "look after your health and remember to enjoy your life!" but oh no, that would be far to positive and the GP's might run out of patients. Most of us that run to the doctors arter seeing some of this stuff, are Health Anxiety sufferers, who get dismissed continually by their GP because they are 'too concerned' about their health. Seriously, you cant win.

Thank you for putting in a complaint. I complained to my aunt for banging on about cancer awareness on facebook all the time because it was a constant trigger and not the right place for sensitive issues, and she ended up not speaking to me over it. Theres awareness, and theres rubbing everyones nose in it.

miss sparkle
10-05-12, 06:54
Just wanted to say i totally agree with these posts.
My biggest trigger apart from the tv is magazines.
I am a hairdresser, so unfortunately every week, it is compulsory to buy a stack of the weekly magazine that come out. They all get passed around the staff room, and of course there are endless cancer story, the most popular being the ones that affect young women, young men and kids, as of course they make more upsetting and dramatic reading!
I have honestly tried to stop reading them, but like a moth to a flame i am drawn!
The ones that really upset me are the 'my shoulder ache was cancer' and my kids ache arm was a brain tumor' type. Que run to the doctors. . . .

Connor_cbt
10-05-12, 08:05
I'm sorry that it has had the impact i imagined it would, the message IS important without question but the delivery is totally wrong. Let's face it, in our society where generally people dont exercise enough and have sedentary jobs, could eat better are often stressed amongst a plethora of other things things like haemorrhoids and fissures are common (especially as you get older) and probably make up the vast majority of cases of blood in stools and i wonder how many people have been put of getting treatment for fear of discovering something more serious? Im almost to the point where i am not watching tv or listening to the radio etc as it all seems so negative!

---------- Post added at 08:05 ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 ----------

I just remembered a message about thread titles and will try to get this one changed to inappropriate adverts asap!

pearl79
10-05-12, 10:33
please send some of your sensible head my way. Im terrible for adverts, local radio, cant read the daily papers/womens magazines, even use a pen with a chairity name on ( i do regularly donate and will be doing race for life, so dont avoid completely).
I curse health anxiety, i really do.
Im having my first of six sessions of CBT in Wednesday so really looking forward to that. I really hope it helps :)
Connor, you sound like you have a easy going mind, if you have any sugestions or other ways to deal with anxiety. please please send them this way. Im open to learn anything :)

julynn
10-05-12, 11:15
i agree i hate them i know its good to keep pplo aware of the signs. but like the other poster said its terrible for us every time 1 comes on i convince myself i might have that and go running to my doctor.
i try to avoid them now but its hard because they are on the tv even breaafast tv has something about it on and when im watching a programe feeling quite calm one pops on and sets my anxiety off again.

meche
10-05-12, 14:22
It's not so much the cancer adverts that bother me - it's the one for strokes. F.A.S.T - face, arms, speech and time! The TV advert freaks me out so much that I have to turn over/off. I think it's because when I was at the height of my anxiety it felt like what I imagined a stroke would feel like! I understand they are there to educate people but for me..... :wacko::wacko:! x

MacLeod
05-01-18, 01:58
Connor, thank you for writing the complaint. You may be interested in signing and sharing the 'No More Cancer Adverts' on Change.org calling for support to end 'fear-driven cancer adverts delivering daily reminders of loved ones lost - and the subliminal suggestion that "It could be you".'

There is also a detailed supporting letter to the Health Minister.

I am new to the site so am unable to post a link. Sorry. Hope you can find it on Change.org

MyNameIsTerry
05-01-18, 04:28
Connor, thank you for writing the complaint. You may be interested in signing and sharing the 'No More Cancer Adverts' on Change.org calling for support to end 'fear-driven cancer adverts delivering daily reminders of loved ones lost - and the subliminal suggestion that "It could be you".'

There is also a detailed supporting letter to the Health Minister.

I am new to the site so am unable to post a link. Sorry. Hope you can find it on Change.org

But what will the change be? What will stopping cancer campaigns achieve? The reason for the campaigns (and these are NHS campaigns aren't they?) is that they believe some people just won't seek help and end up dying from cancer?

This shouldn't be about HAers who fear all sorts of things because they have a mental health condition that needs treating, otherwise why not ban the news since that triggers some of us GADers too? HAers get triggered by cancer forums which are for people with cancer, should they be closed forums to reduce the fear of a HAer?

I don't like how they have taken a scattergun approach and flooded us with any symptom that could just mean you have piles or IBS, but what do we change it to? We can't just stop it, it needs to be adjusted to be less fear driven and more balanced.

The petition doesn't talk about mental health. Do you have links into mental health or suffer yourself?

---------- Post added at 04:28 ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 ----------

I've read the letter with the petition and understand now that you want a blanket ban on them all but ask for solutions to be considered that don't conflict with your reasons.

But do cancer campaigns equal death? They show people getting to a GP and into the system. Perhaps we equate them with death more than we should but I don't think that's just down to the adverts.

What about the charities advertising? That is raising awareness & money. They show how they support people through the hard times they go through. Isn't that a positive thing?

I can understand it can be upsetting for relatives of the bereaved but it's subjective, not all may agree. I my GF lost her mum, my dad has lost several friends & relatives, and neither are bothered by the adverts.

Have the adverts caused stress on services? Yes, they have as far as I know as my local hospital CEO has cited it as one of the reasons for them struggling to hit breast cancer screening targets yet the issue there is really with GP's referring people "just in case" rather than the adverts, GP's are the service gatekeepers. But it makes sense GP visits have increased and there will be a knock on effect to cancer services & testing teams.

But have they caused anxiety as you seem to be stating? In the HAer, yes. But what about the rest of the population? HAers will be triggered by many things in newspapers, TV, heard in conversation, etc and the ban doesn't address other media scaremongering e.g. Daily Mail articles.

And what about stroke adverts, Blindness charities, child abuse campaigning, etc. All loaded with triggers for someone. What about those of us who experience anxiety from violence on TV? There are so many problems out there that and banning would mean a massive overhaul of what we see or read. That's why surely change is a good thing to make it more balanced to us all rather than just bans?

lyndau63
05-01-18, 08:50
I agree. They really can send you into a flat soin. My HA started from something i read in a magazine in hospital whilst waiting for my younger son to have an op.

MacLeod
08-01-18, 00:49
Hi Terry,

Thank you, for taking the time to share and question. While I haven’t addressed every question, I did update the petition to hopefully cover some of your questions. If you’re asking then others are too. Please see the link below. On the whole, I suspect we are on the same page.

In wondering who would be interested in the petition, I Googled ‘no more cancer adverts’ and found Connor’s discussion thread. Thinking that most people fear cancer, I thought maybe the petition may, more than most, help those living with panic and severe anxiety. As a senior member, I am happy to follow your lead. If you feel that the petition, as it stands, would be a good addition to this forum, I will begin a new thread. Let me know.

In your response you said that many of your friends and family do not experience distress from viewing the adverts, that’s just it, neither did I - until I was faced with a personal experience that left me in no doubt that years of exposure to fear-based cancer adverts had taken their toll. My reaction to receiving ‘cancer news’ was traumatic and severe - even though I had years of research and knowledge behind me leaving me with NO FEAR OF CANCER whatsoever. At that point I wondered what chance the general public had to overcome such subconscious recordings, once triggered. But the real motivation for writing the petition was when my, then 12 years old, niece confided in me that she was scared of her, or her mum, getting cancer. My heart broke and my blood boiled.

There is a reason why Mindfulness is becoming such a big thing - its the antithesis to fear-based living.

When all said and done this is just a woman standing up for what she believes; asking if anyone else feels the same. There is no right or wrong. Just a 'head and a parapet’.

Yes, the aim is to stop fear-based cancer advertising, but the objective is to expose people to information, they may not have come across, in the hope that they will eventually ask why questions like: Why the Hunza people never get cancer. Why the World Health Organisation says most cancers are largely avoidable. Why some medical doctors are asking if early detection and treatment is doing more harm than good. Why natural approaches to recovery are not given as an option to NHS patients. Why so much profit is made from cancer treatment that it could be described as profiteering.

...And, whether the 'cure' was in fact discovered by the Nobel prize winner, Dr Otto Warburg, in 1931 when he discovered the effect blood and tissue pH has on cancer cells. All this information is 'out there', I and many others are just trying to share it.

You asked if I had any mental health issues: if distress at witnessing worldwide social injustice and inequality equates to having a mental health issue, then I would have to say “Yes!” :D

Hope this helps you and other thread readers in some way. And if that equates to signing the petition. Fabulous! If not, also fabulous.

Blessings.

Link paste: change.org/p/philip-dunne-minister-of-state-for-health-no-more-cancer-advertising?recruiter=551480624&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

paranoid-viking
08-01-18, 15:05
Wow. I see this thread is almost 6 years old. But I agree with it. Every word of it. I have tried to raise this question myself but I was "crucified" for stating my opinion about it; that I should shut up because it would change nothing. But I disagree; there are sensistivity guidlines for a lot of things in the media these days so I dont think it is out of the question that HA should be in the sensitivity guidlines. So for no; those who wants to "crucify" me again for stating something I stand for 100%, go ahead. You can not change my opinion either.

---------- Post added at 16:05 ---------- Previous post was at 16:00 ----------

[QUOTE=MyNameIsTerry;1749917]But what will the change be? What will stopping cancer campaigns achieve? The reason for the campaigns (and these are NHS campaigns aren't they?) is that they believe some people just won't seek help and end up dying from cancer?

This shouldn't be about HAers who fear all sorts of things because they have a mental health condition that needs treating, otherwise why not ban the news since that triggers some of us GADers too? HAers get triggered by cancer forums which are for people with cancer, should they be closed forums to reduce the fear of a HAer?

I don't like how they have taken a scattergun approach and flooded us with any symptom that could just mean you have piles or IBS, but what do we change it to? We can't just stop it, it needs to be adjusted to be less fear driven and more balanced.

The petition doesn't talk about mental health. Do you have links into mental health or suffer yourself?[COLOR="blue"]

My dad survived a cancer type? Because of cancer propaganda? No! Media scaremongering? No! Because of massive and scaremongering from "awareness" crusraders? Nope! It was because of common sense, to seek out help immediately when red flags symptoms ocurred.
The people I am thankfull to are not the awarenss crusraders or the media whatsoever, but the doctors, surgeons and staff at the hospital(many of the cancer propagandsists seems to hate medical stuff, strange that is), my family for being supportive and most of all himself and his common sense! He never read cancer propaganda in his life and still to this day is not doing so.

Mindprison
08-01-18, 15:18
I made a post today about the effect media has on us. It was regarding the new aussie flu thing that is in all the papers.

However i'm on the fence about this one for a few reasons.

1. Cancer is something that is best caught early and as Terry says there are a lot of people who will not seek help until it is too late. Some may not even know the symptoms.

2. I feel like cancer can be a very lonely disease. My grandmother closed herself off when she was diagnosed with cancer because she felt that she was supposed to just die alone after her diagnosis. Not true, she had great support from the macmillan nurses and she ended up beating the cancer despite the odds.

3. Health anxiety (something I suffer from so this is from MY point of view alone before anyone jumps on me) is at its core a very selfish illness. Those cancer adverts and sites and boards were not meant for us. Its no fault of theirs that our minds are incapable of seperating the likelyhood of it affecting us from assuming we have it because our symptoms match.

I see where you are coming from, its very easy to see these adverts and be outraged that they don't give a thought for us. But in my heart I know that I would rather someone see the advert and potentially have it save their life than have a ban just because it triggers me.

Just my 2 cents

paranoid-viking
08-01-18, 15:23
And I repeat that it was not a cancer advert that saved my dads life. It was common sense and support and help from the good people!

Mindprison
08-01-18, 15:43
And I repeat that it was not a cancer advert that saved my dads life. It was common sense and support and help from the good people!

Just because one person didn't need them doesn't mean others won't.

As a counter point to this I would argue that most people on here posting about cancer would still be posting about it if the adverts were gone. The internet would still exist and someone with Health Anxiety would be able to google their symptoms. What then? Censor the internet? Take down websites? Remove the NHS website? Where does it end?

While things the media reports on annoy me, censorship isn't the answer.

paranoid-viking
08-01-18, 16:34
Just because one person didn't need them doesn't mean others won't.

As a counter point to this I would argue that most people on here posting about cancer would still be posting about it if the adverts were gone. The internet would still exist and someone with Health Anxiety would be able to google their symptoms. What then? Censor the internet? Take down websites? Remove the NHS website? Where does it end?

While things the media reports on annoy me, censorship isn't the answer.

ONE person? ONE! The vast majority of people have INTELLIGENCE enough to know when you really need to see a doctor. Besides, the people who constantly ignores very bad and alarming symptoms does not pay attention to cancer adverts. Those making those ads are assuming everyone is an idiot.

The truth is, the people who does pay attention to cancer adverts are HYPOCONDRIACS. And every time an over the top scaremongering cancer ads is on the top the doctor offices are flooded by hypocondriacs who believes that the end is near. And hypos dont need cancer adverts; they are very frequent visitors to the docs offices anyway.
And please dont bring in respectable webpage like the NHS one in here. We are talking about extreme cancer ads tells us thing like a stomcah ache may and probably is a sign you have the deadliest cancer and such. It is ery bad and very harmful. Not the NHS webpage.

Mindprison
08-01-18, 18:50
You seem to have missed the whole point of my post and have jumped on the assumption that I deem the NHS website to be unreliable among other things but i'll focus on this for now.

My point is that it is irrelevant whether a resource someone with HA uses is a reputable one or not. Even the NHS state symptoms caused by minor problems can be caused by a certain type of cancer. They also have to state that the chances of it being cancer are low but do you honestly believe people with HA will read that and care? No, the majority have themselves believing they now have cancer and are in a sense, triggered.

So again, do we censor them too? Or does it not count because they are reputable?

Ultimately arguing about this is pointless because whether you are for or against it cancer ads have been around since forever. The NHS are one such source for the ads so they have decided the benefit of raising awareness outweighs the risk of triggering hypochondriacs.

Agree or not, that's the way it is.

MyNameIsTerry
09-01-18, 01:41
PV - what about we non HAers? Cancer has no triggers for me, in truth I get sick of seeing the ads and just yawn at them. Why do HAers get preferential treatment? What of those of us who find war, terrorism, civil unrest, action films, TV murders, etc all triggering? Will you ban them too? The TV & media are bloated with it all.

AS Mindprison says, it just means you see less of it but it will still be in the media, in conversations in real life you may overhear, be in GP surgeries or other medical establishments. Will you ban them all?

The NHS, or Public Health England, are behind these ads. They are the same people. But even the NHS websites are geared towards people who won't look down a list ranging from colds to cancer and panic about the 0.000001% of a cancer.

The other ads on TV are from cancer charities. What do they show? They actually show people with cancer being supported by nurses & counsellors. Is that bad? Isn't that to tell people not to suffer alone? And it impacts on them getting money to do this good work.

Why not cancer Race For Life? All those cancer sufferers and their loved ones raising money for cancer research. What about all the other fundraising people do? These are people who have touched by cancer in some way and they believe awareness is needed and want to make a difference.

Why is it that HA should take preference? HAers are a tiny % of the population so put the question to a referendum...do you think the majority would agree with saving lives or stopping some people's irrational anxiety?

Like I say, I'm all for change with some of these campaigns. I don't think the charities matter in this respect as their campaigns are reasonable but I do dislike the PHE Stop Smoking stuff showing gross physical things which I just think aren't needed as they are about shock value.

Does anyone in the UK remember the Stop Speeding campaign in recent years about the speed limits? The little girl being reversed back to life from the broken bones and the message about how being 10mph less could have saved her life? Imagine how triggering that was for people who have been through it.

It's not just about HAers and cancer. There is a bigger picture to consider unless you want to show Telly Tubbies all day as controlled by the government.

What do the NHS ads for cancer awareness show? They seem to show someone getting access to a GP. They don't seem to show someone dying horribly. I would like to see the message altered to mention more about how it can be anything but there is merit to some of this stuff. The coughing & blood in poo can be many things but they put more emphasis on THIS COULD BE A SIGN OF CANCER adding but it could be something else.

Maybe things are different on your TV? Our US members have talked about US insurance companies peddling their wares and I would imagine their adds are far worse. Ours are at least coming from the NHS...and they don't want more business.

Fishmanpa
09-01-18, 02:09
I saw this is an old thread but it's still an interesting discussion. I believe it's just what triggers you. I'm a survivor. Even prior to getting ill, cancer ads just didn't phase me. Still don't. I get "Cure" magazine which is filled with ads about this drug or that drug, this cancer, that cancer and enough triggers to turn many here into quivering masses.

It's just not something that affects me and I had it :shrug: Cancer sucks big time but I don't actually fear it. I stared Stage IVa Head and Neck cancer in the eyes and beat it. F that beast! Hey, cancer may still get me or my heart or that next trip on the highway. I just don't live my life in fear of dying which IMO is the root of what I see so much of on this board.

Positive thoughts

Mindprison
09-01-18, 11:39
I remember the speeding advert Terry. A lot of people found it to be quite disturbing even those who hadn't experienced it. It was one of those ads that relied on shock value more than anything.

They are learning though, aside from the disgusting pictures for the stop smoking campaigns i'm struggling to think of many shock value ads that have been on recently. Most of them are pretty tame compared to the ones that were around 10 or so years ago

Catherine S
09-01-18, 14:04
I lived in Germany for some years and you never see this kind of advert/appeal on any of their television channels, not for cancer, water aid, adopt a donkey...nothing. No fun runs, celebrities climbing mountains, or great wall of China rambles. They don't have charity shops or people outside shaking tins either. The charities are all there, but you have to look them up and donate through the websites. Don't get me wrong, I love our high street charity shops and we've managed to get some great stuff from them since moving back to the UK, but living over there I didn't miss our constant television appeals.

Ironically, Germany has one of the best records in the world for treatment of cancer yet they never openly ask for money from the general public. What does the UK do with all of those billions of donations?

But that's a whole other debate I guess.

Cath S ☺

unsure_about_this
09-01-18, 15:51
The ads have trigger my anxiety, newspaper articles and the favourite Daily mail. I know it important to highlight the symptoms which may be a sign of cancer or something less serious which needs treated.

MyNameIsTerry
09-01-18, 16:19
I remember the speeding advert Terry. A lot of people found it to be quite disturbing even those who hadn't experienced it. It was one of those ads that relied on shock value more than anything.

They are learning though, aside from the disgusting pictures for the stop smoking campaigns i'm struggling to think of many shock value ads that have been on recently. Most of them are pretty tame compared to the ones that were around 10 or so years ago

Yes, very true. I questioned how useful that advert even was in making a speeding idiot do what they've been getting told literally forever and they've still ignored the endless accidents & deaths on the roads. It's like appealing to drink drivers.

Your right, it's tamer. Thankfully the HIV & crime ads of the 80-90's are gone. The only ones that bring shock now are animal charities, refugee appeals and poverty appeals. Maybe child abuse too. But these are about the harsh reality that exists and perhaps it's right in these cases.

If we are banning things get rid of party political yawncasts, death insurance & funeral ads, etc. Daytime TV is wall-to-wall death cover. How annoying is that for the elderly?

worried94
09-01-18, 17:06
I know what you mean, I was in my local supermarket today and I saw the walls plastered in posters saying "Stop thousands of young lives being destroyed by cancer" which almost triggered a panic attack as I'm spending all my time convinced I am one of those young lives that's going to be destroyed and it was there in huge black and white letters rubbing it in my face while I'm trying my best to go about my day

ariana95
09-01-18, 23:54
I agree, these adverts play on my radio all day. My nan always says that they "put years on her"

Mindprison
09-01-18, 23:57
Yes, very true. I questioned how useful that advert even was in making a speeding idiot do what they've been getting told literally forever and they've still ignored the endless accidents & deaths on the roads. It's like appealing to drink drivers.

Your right, it's tamer. Thankfully the HIV & crime ads of the 80-90's are gone. The only ones that bring shock now are animal charities, refugee appeals and poverty appeals. Maybe child abuse too. But these are about the harsh reality that exists and perhaps it's right in these cases.

If we are banning things get rid of party political yawncasts, death insurance & funeral ads, etc. Daytime TV is wall-to-wall death cover. How annoying is that for the elderly?

Just realised again how many funeral ads have been playing the past year since you just mentioned it. I remember saying to my mother one day when I was at hers for dinner about how it must be so irritating as an elderly person being constantly reminded about it. Even as a young adult I find them to be extremely morbid.

Catherine S
10-01-18, 00:00
I agree, these adverts play on my radio all day. My nan always says that they "put years on her"

You need to tune into BBC radio stations arianna, they have no ads. The music is a bit crappy but no ads :D

Cath ☺

Fishmanpa
10-01-18, 00:13
You need to tune into BBC radio stations arianna, they have no ads. The music is a bit crappy but no ads :D

Cath ☺

Oh Hell No Cath! :lac: Listen to good music and turn the volume down when the ads come on! Life is too short to listen to crappy music! :winks:

**Sorry.. I'm a musician... listening to crappy music is akin to having sharp objects poked into my ears! :roflmao:

Positive thoughts

ariana95
11-01-18, 00:26

Cath ☺

Haha I know! I wonder if it's because I listen to classic fm a lot, maybe they're targeting an older audience? Terribly morbid though, no one wants to be reminded of that!

One that really bothers me is the one where actors describe their painful chemo symptoms i.e. mouth ulcers and then say "I may have cancer, but i'm still a mother" and then it says "life with cancer is still a life"

While this is a very nice and I'm sure well-intended message, is it really necessary? It's not really providing us with any life saving information, just informing us that life with cancer is still life... well yes of course it is?! Pointless and morbid if you ask me. Maybe a good message to provide cancer patients with at diagnosis, but doesn't need to be broadcasted nationwide literally every half hour!

MyNameIsTerry
11-01-18, 01:57
Just realised again how many funeral ads have been playing the past year since you just mentioned it. I remember saying to my mother one day when I was at hers for dinner about how it must be so irritating as an elderly person being constantly reminded about it. Even as a young adult I find them to be extremely morbid.

The scariest one I've ever seen is the two fingers pretending to be legs whilst holding the cigarette that was all burnt to the filter...the male impotence one where at the end the burnt bit just drops off leaving nothing!!! :ohmy:

I didn't know impotence had the same effect as a bad case of frost bite! :winks:

I did feel sorry for Pele in the other advert. Apparently he can no longer get it up*

*the overhead scissor kick. :whistles:

Mindprison
11-01-18, 11:43
The scariest one I've ever seen is the two fingers pretending to be legs whilst holding the cigarette that was all burnt to the filter...the male impotence one where at the end the burnt bit just drops off leaving nothing!!! :ohmy:

I didn't know impotence had the same effect as a bad case of frost bite! :winks:

I did feel sorry for Pele in the other advert. Apparently he can no longer get it up*

*the overhead scissor kick. :whistles:

I vaguely remember the one with the fingers and cigarette, i don't know if I was scared or just confused :roflmao:

There was another ad I just remembered that I think was only shown for a short time across the UK. It was about people wasting doctors and nurses time by showing up at A&E with minor ailments. It was quite disturbing, showed a young girl flatlining on a hospital stretcher because the doctors were taken up by people who didn't need to be there.

A lot of people wanted it to be banned too, saying it was needless scaremongoring. While I don't disagree that taking up A&Es time with minor issues is a strain on the NHS resources, I also don't believe the doctors would be unable to prioritize life threatening cases over minor ones.