PDA

View Full Version : Live in the Day!

neowallace
10-05-12, 08:32
Living in the day!

Is anyone able to do this successfully? My mind starts racing from the minute my eyes open and it is usually negative thoughts about the future. My rational side says that is all you can deal with just now but my anxiety takes over and decides to worry about negative stuff happening to me or my family in the future.

Any tips on staying in the day?

flossie
10-05-12, 08:47
That's all part of the anxiety, keeping the brain continually ticking over and the more we try to switch off the more we keep thinking about it, keeping it working away.....and so it goes on and on.
Accept that the constant thinking and negative thoughts are all part of the anxiety. When you start your day decide what needs to be done and what you have to concentrate on. Don't worry about the other stuff going round in your mind, although it is there in the background it doesn't have any importance to your day. Live for today, to make it as pleasant for you as you can.
Try a relaxation CD. This might help you to take some time out to relax your body which in turn will help to quieten the mind.

neowallace
10-05-12, 09:18
Thanks Flossie

I am just about to go up and stick on deep relaxation C.D. I forget these things when consumed by anxious thoughts. Thanks again I think you are spot on with those comments. Maybe I just need to hear that message more often.

swxx:)

Jamesk
10-05-12, 09:35
If only I had an answer, but you sound so much like me - and another thing why is it always such negative thoughts :(

flossie
10-05-12, 11:55
James - if we didn't have the negative thoughts then we wouldn't have anxiety.

It is all part of the process of recovery to turn the negatives into positive thoughts. Realise when you are thinking or speaking negatively and replace them with positive statements. I have found that saying negatives like 'no' or 'I can't' becomes a habit, they were automatic responses without my even thinking about it. I had to make a concious effort to stop that and it is difficult when it has been a part of your life for so long.
Also try to smile during the day even if you feel that you have little to smile about. The act of smiling increases oxygen and endorphins (something like that) to the brain giving a sense of wellbeing. Little things like this all help to lessen the anxiety levels for a while during our day.

PanchoGoz
10-05-12, 12:56
Living in the day?
Sounds like mindfulness! Living in the moment! Thus lecture begins:
You should try mindfulness. Just use all your senses to notice everthing around and fell connected to the present moment. Do it from the moment you wake up, midfully brush your teeth and eat and travel - all these things you just do automatically while going over things in your mind. Well pay attention to brushig your teeth! Notice every single chew when you eat your food! Feel it go down! Try to hold awareness for as much a you can for a day or two and see how different you feel.
Google it for more info, Jon Kabat-Zinn did a lecture to Google corp on YouTube which is great - it's an hour long but worth it. Skip to 20 mins in if you really have to, it begins then. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nwwKbM_vJc&list=FLy25X9k9BgWf0I7CbxTJFjw&index=3&feature=plpp_video