PDA

View Full Version : BEEN TOLD TODAY I DON'T HAVE ANXIETY

daveyboywales
07-07-06, 18:07
I had my first ever appointment today with a counselor and she told me she doesn't think I have anxiety and I should avoid sites like these[V] We went over various topics etc, and she said reading symptoms etc can actually make you think you have anxiety/depression or whatever. For example, the doctor gave me tablets last year for heart palpitations, I do as I always do, go through side effects, I then just out of interest look them up on the net to see what they are, and here we are in my current predicament. I've always done this, she said I may have and OCD. She told me I should avoid sites like these as I'm not helping myself but here I am posting again:( I just think she maybe full of it and need your opinions please.. Certainly reading through this site, there are topic with people being unable to cope, I mean I have never felt like that.

joolsukuk
07-07-06, 18:31
i would say this site is a help! sometimes you need tp let off steam to people who UNDERSTAND what your going through, if you feel it helps then i say stay, if you feel it makes you worse then dont read ,, it does help to know your not alone with our odd symptoms!! and it helps me keep my sanity! best of luck hun xxxx

jools xx

tara
07-07-06, 18:44
Hyia,

I don't know much about OCD but i'm sure that a symptom of it is anxiety ( I don't want to worry you so don't think that!!!)

You must have ended up here for a reason and that reason is to find out more about your symptoms !!!!

Hope we can help you...Tara x

PanickyPolly
08-07-06, 10:12
Daveyboy where are you babes? I'm in wales too and I have a very good councelor. I wouldn't go back I'd get another one and keep coming on here. OCD is part of anxiety and can cause anxiety. It's a symptom of and underlying problema nd that problem needs to be addressed. Obviously you feel down otherwise you wouldn't have come on here or asked to see a councelor.

ruthb1
08-07-06, 11:12
hi dave

i know how you feel, i had a really bad experience with a counsellor and it put me off going back to her, i was paying privatly for her and basically i think she was just after my money, she didnt help me at all. im not saying that all councelors are like that i just think that you should try another one until you find the right one.

as for this site it has helped me a great deal, its just nice to know that you are not alone, as for reading up on medical issues i have found that i wont let myself look up any conditions anymore as i found that this made me worse but everyone is different and you know what works best for you

take care

ruth x x

PUGLETMUM
08-07-06, 13:08
hello dave, does this woman know everything about everything? this is my problem with counsellors, i'm sorry if this is a bit strong but they are human being not gods!! and some of them are'nt very good human beings and they talk complete b******s!!! you decide for yourself whether you want to come here like the other person said if it makes you worse don't read it!!
but many many people on here who are finding it hard to cope or who are having long term problems like agoraphobia have had help from mental health professionals and have had medication and may be on or off meds now and the mental health through nhs has not helped us and coming here and talking to fellow sufferers is the best thing that has ever happened with regards our mental health.

it's all a case of whatever you feel comfortable with, at one time i would have felt uncomfortabe because i thought i was a monster with 2 heads for having panics so therefore i would have felt like that about everybody else on here!!! only when i accepted myself and my self-esteem got better could i say i was'nt a defective person and neither is anybody else on here.

everybody has their own experience and stories to tell, but everybody here understands how anxiety actually feels in themselves, maybe you should ask your counsellor how qualified she is to relate to what your going through?

all the best emmas