PDA

View Full Version : been in hosp for 3 weeks >pheochromocytoma

Gina
07-07-06, 19:51
I have today come out of hospital following admission due to passing out on the way to the out of hours GP.

I have had what I thought was panic attacks since christmas day 05. The symptoms increased until a few days before going to hosp I was constantly being sick along with the other symptoms that sadly I had become used to (probably like lots of other folk ) my hands and feet were freezing, the sweats were more then a hot flush ( and Im not on the change as of yet) I then started passing out.. sometimes up to 5 - 6 times a hour.. was unable to go to work and was dehydrated.

As I thought it was panic attack symptoms I didnt do anything about it.. howver my sisters and best friend for once ignored me... !!! hence being on the way to emergency gp.

After being put on a drip, loads of blood tests, and other tests including ECG's ultrasounds, CT scans, 3 lots of 24 hour urine collections.. they saw that I had a tumour on my adrenal gland... and all my previous meds (yep anti depressants!) were stopped.. they then gave me a 123migb scan.

Joy of joy it showed that I do only have the orginal tumour... and after having breast cancer twice, you can only imagine the relief!!!

I was anxious about posting this as I would hate for folk to think en masse that they all have pheochromocytoma's as they are rare... in fact on average there are only two people a year that present at the hospital in Plymouth UK with this tumour.

I am on meds to block it and will continue until it is completely blocked then have surgery to remove.. I understand that this is a dangerous time but necessary...

my blood pressure and pulse rate were off the scale and BP continues to be raised... there are still waves of symptoms but on a 1 - 10 scale compared to before my admission.. where I would have said 10.. these are a 1 -2... so a lot more manageable..

A lot of people tell me how their PA's... stop or ebb away... my wish is that everyones would...

Please do not add to your panic thinking you may have a pheochromocytoma.

Autobiography in Five Short Chapters
by Portia Nelson

I. I walk down the street.

There's a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost.....I am helpless;
it isn't my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

II. I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in again.
I can't believe I am in the same place;
but it isn't my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.

III. I walk down the same street.
I see it is there.
I still fall in....it's a habit.
My eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It is my fault.
I get out immediately.

IV. I walk down the same street.
I walk around it.

V. I walk down a different street.

Daisybun
07-07-06, 20:01
Wow gina, what a story, you must be relieved that it is being sorted out now. i do hope that you feel better soon and will be thinking of you at this difficult time

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

polly daydream
07-07-06, 21:28
Hi Gina, you have been through so much, I'm glad they have found out what the problem is, I too had the 3x24hour urine collections, but luckily they were negative.
You sound like a very brave lady and hope that you get and feel better soon.

Very Best Wishes,

Polly x

Gina
04-10-06, 11:01
Just to say I have the tumour removed tomorrow.

Autobiography in Five Short Chapters
by Portia Nelson

I. I walk down the street.

There's a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost.....I am helpless;
it isn't my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

II. I walk down the same street.
I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in again.
I can't believe I am in the same place;
but it isn't my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.

III. I walk down the same street.
I see it is there.
I still fall in....it's a habit.
My eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It is my fault.
I get out immediately.

IV. I walk down the same street.
I walk around it.

V. I walk down a different street.

Piglet
04-10-06, 11:11
Wishing you all the best Gina and hope you will be home again very soon and be able to put this behind you.

<center>((((((((((((G))))))))))))))</center>

Love Piglet xx

honeybee3939
04-10-06, 11:42
Will be thinking of you Tomorrow Gina !

All the best for a speedy recovery then you can put it all behind you.

Take care

Love

Andrea
xxx

decca
02-06-08, 16:58
Does anyone know how this lady got on ?
Can't see any posts after this.

Decca.

marie1974
02-06-08, 17:04
oh gina wow u have been through lots but well done u r very brave and a very strong women getting through what u have and best of lucck tomorrow with the operation hugs xxxx

Pink Panic
02-06-08, 19:56
It says in her profile that this person hasn't been online since 06!!!!!

kellyw
02-06-08, 22:33
what a brave strong lady you are,
very best of luck with everything.
take good care
kelly xx

decca
02-06-08, 23:01
My appologies - I guess it would have been better to have posted a link to the last post in 2006.
I was reading through some old postings and this very brave lady's story just got to me and I wondered if there was any members that may have kept in contact and knows how she is now.
Decca.