PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol withdrawl and anxiety

Zeeko1987
10-05-12, 19:56
Was jus wondering if anyone had experienced "drying out" when coming off of alcohol as I am experiencing huge amounts of stress and anxiety for next to no reason while I'm not drinking. I'll find myself sitting at the computer or watching TV and without even realising it I have every muscle in my body clenched and need to purposely try to relax myself to stop doing it. Also in the past when I've tried to get sober by the 3rd day I usually have a bit of a panic attack where all sorts of horrible things cross my mind and it usually ends up in me drinking. Was wondering if there were any suggestions as to ways to relieve this tension or perhaps a medical solution to it?
Thanks guys
Paul

Beckybooboo
10-05-12, 21:16
Hi,

If you don't feel normal without alcohol then I highly suggest you visit your GP to get this situation looked into as soon as possible.

It's totally normal for people to turn to recreational things in times of trouble, for me, recreation ally (at weekends) I smoke Marijuana as I find it helps numb these thoughts and allows me to function, believe it or not, normally than I usually would.

You need to speak to your GP and get medical advice for this and they will be able to guide you in the right path.

Take care of yourself,
Becky

theharvestmouse
10-05-12, 21:28
If you are getting these feelings then it suggests you are quite dependant on anxiety. I've been sober for 6 months, but I have had to withdraw myself socially from people I used to drink with. I am scared that if I hang around with them I'll go back to binge drinking, which caused me masses of anxiety problems.

To go back to your point, if you are having withdrawal symptoms then you ought to see someone about it. All I can say is that beating anxiety without alcohol is easier than doing it whilst drinking.

neowallace
11-05-12, 16:11
Hi mate

I drank for years and did early morning drinking to get rid of how I was feeling. When I was about 30 I then realised it was my body feeling anxious the next day. You are having withdrawal symptoms from the drink go and see your G.P. He might be able to point you in the right direction and get you some help. I have been sober 6 years now because drink makes my anxiety worse and when I do drink I cannot stop. I was not a daily drinker but a heavy 3/4 day binge drinker which can be just as bad, I also took speed with it to keep me going and cannabis to come down. Get some help because it will only get worse if you are anything like I was.

Take care and I wish you all the best....

BobbyDog
11-05-12, 19:02
I think sometimes a doctor will prescribe Benzo's for alcohol withdrawal, to reduce the chances of fitting, I think it depends on how serious the addiction is and how long it has been going on for, but I would go and see them anyway, they will try to help you.
Try going to a local AA meeting.

Zeeko1987
11-05-12, 20:38
Thanks so much guys for the comments, hey have been very insightful. I'm making a doctor's appointment come Monday and am going to explain to him in detail my symptoms and the amount I have been drinking. Until then I have tried to cut down my drinking, this week I've had something like 20 beers in total, which may seem a lot but to me it's a step in the right direcion for sure. I hope that I can also treat any other anxiety and social problems I may have a bit easier when I get sober. I know it's going to be difficult but it seems like it's the best time in my life to try and do something about it, before it gets completely irreversible.
-Paul

Beckybooboo
11-05-12, 22:44
Hi Zeeko,

I think that's a wonderful idea and I'm really happy for you that you've managed to take the first step not only for your mental health, but for your physical health also. E.G. your liver, your heart, etc. NOT TO ALARM YOU! But it's a good idea that this gets dealt with now in order for it to be dealt with responsibly and accurately.

I really do wish you all the best.

Good luck!

theharvestmouse
12-05-12, 08:14
Zeeko my anxiety made me stop drinking and I used to binge drink a lot particularly at weekends. In the end I found myself needing a drink to get through the day and that's when I knew I had a real problem.

Since I have stopped drinking it has eased my anxiety. So really try to cut down and you will see the benefits.

Zeeko1987
12-05-12, 12:57
Well I'm almost a week sober now, I think I'm going to need medication of some sorts to safely come off it completely as the withdrawl symptoms are pretty severe, and I don't want to go into any sort of shock, which I could feel myself starting to suffer from when I tried to give up cold turkey before. I will be limiting myself to a couple of beers tonight and then hopefully will be able to get an appointment for Monday when I wake up later in the day, or first thing on Tuesday. I know it's going to be a long hard road, and this is the first time I've really tried, so the wishing of luck is greatly appreciated guys. I am going to ask the doctor about going back on citalopram as I was on 10mg a day before and have felt my mood going back down. Lack of interest in things, retreating socially and such, so I think I should try and get control of that again. Just as a matter of interest does anyone know roughly a good amount of time to have been taking cialopram before you start to feel any positive effects from it? I think I didn't give it enough time when I tried taking it before. Thanks for your advice and kind words.
-Paul

Tufty
12-05-12, 13:30
Hi Zeeko, I'm not an expert but recently went to a lecture on drug withdrawl in prisoners - I know you're not either of those! But the speakers did talk about symptoms of drug dependance withdrawl and added 'the withdrawl symptoms from alcohol are more severe and last longer than that of cocaine withdrawl'. They said - (and I'm not trying to make you feel bad but think you can acknowledge how tough alcohol withdrawl is) - that alcohol withdrawl gives you the most symptoms and is tougher than any other dependance. They also said that people with alcohol dependance are not given as much support or medication to come off even though the symptoms are worse than with drug use - it's just not recognised and seen as much as a problem as drug use.
I'd get to your docs on Monday and get something for the anxiety, Diazepam is often given when withdrawing from alcohol but I know they're reluctant to give it to anyone that has been dependant on a substance - but I'd try my hardest for it:)
Take what ever the GP suggests to get you through the next couple of weeks - counselling, medication, AA and make a return appointment to see him again in 4-7 days time, you need support and having someone to 'check-in' with can be really helpful. And remember too that there's always someone on this forum.
Good luck:hugs:and well done for deciding to improve your life

---------- Post added at 13:30 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

ohh - and you're doing the right thing - cut down slowly - going 'cold turkey' is really dangerous without medical supervision. X Sam

Zeeko1987
12-05-12, 13:38
Thanks loads samhar, great advice. I'll keep peeps updated :)