PDA

View Full Version : Prozac - when did your side effects kick in?

trb1994
10-05-12, 22:15
Hi all,

I'm currently on day 5 of fluoxetine 10mg (yes, it's a low dosage but my psychiatrist didn't want to put me on too high a dose just yet due to my age - I'm 17) after entering my second bout of depression. This is the first time I've been prescribed drugs for it.

On day 2 I felt quite anxious for most of the day. And I felt nauseous after taking my first dose. Other than that, I haven't really experienced any negative effects.

As I say, I'm only on day 5. And, I'm curious about whether I'm over the worst. I don't know what to expect.I'm pretty scared. My parents don't know about the antidepressants - they don't even know I'm depressed again. They weren't the most supportive the first time round. A close friend is watching over me whilst I start the medication (though I'm not really sharing my concerns with her at the moment because she is also very stressed), and I see a counsellor. But that's about as far as my support network extends. I also have my final A Level exams starting on June 12th, so I'm going to be stressed out in the next few weeks. So... I have some questions...

Obviously, it's different for everyone, but...

When your side effects kicked in, and what were they?
How long did they last?

Also, do you think I should let others know about the medication and extend my support network?

Any input will be much appreciated. Thanks x

---------- Post added at 22:15 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

I'd really appreciate a quick reply because I'm currently freaking out a bit. Thanks

ANG3LIC
10-05-12, 23:04
hi, im on day 4 tommorow hun, i dont think ill be much help as i not even sure myself how im feeling i just know its not good... but i do know with prozac/fluoxetine its meant feel worse b4 it starts to feel better.
id say try share, dont bottle up. ppl on here will always try n help but try n share with your close family/friends etc.. you know them n how best to talk to them etc.. im so sorry if ive not helped you. but like i said im day 3 today n cant really describe feelings but i know i feel anxious, low, scared n all the other bad stuff.. i hope you can find some comfort asap as sounds like you need it. please talk to someone.. your friend etc.. i know its hard sometimes trying to explain n put things into words. you can pm/inbox me anytime. love n hugs xxx

nomorepanic
10-05-12, 23:06
I never had any side effects that I noticed to be honest. We are all different I guess

darksideofthemoon
11-05-12, 00:00
Prozac is a great medication for Depression. I took it 2 times in my life the only side affects I had: 1. appetite was a little slugish 2. Little Nausea the first couple days Other than that it was a great drug for depression. I was only taking 10mg both times I took it as my depression was not real severe. I also feel it is one of the safest SSRI antidepressants on the market as it is the oldest SSRI Good Luck

trb1994
11-05-12, 00:05
Thank you for the advice. It's much appreciated. I've decided to tell a few friends. Thanks x

---------- Post added at 00:05 ---------- Previous post was at 00:04 ----------

And thank you darksideofthemoon and Nicola, that's very reassuring!

MISCHIF
29-05-12, 13:13
over 3 weeks now and no side affects all panic attacks have seized and am back in work so stay with it:yesyes:

jabba74
29-05-12, 13:30
hi all ive been on flouxetine for the passed 26days at 20mg and i have more good days than bad at the moment keep up with the flouxetine the side effects will improve it takes 4 to 8 weeks to get the full benefit..if people ever want to talk please get in touch im more than happy to chat

take care everyone your not alone