PDA

View Full Version : lewis 24 yo

lewis_k
07-07-06, 22:52
Brand new to the forum.
My anxiety usually manifests itself in a fear of cancer. I have had this fear for at a year or so, always triggered by a new "symptom" and the fevered google search; and after a couple of doctor visits followed by failed attempts at self-counceling, I am happy to be here.
I understand that there are designated topics for the subjects I'll touch on here, but in the spirit of introducing myself I'll introduce some of the thoughts I've been having on the subject of cancer fears and if anyone has any related thoughts/ideas we can followup in one of the other topics.

On the causes:
As we know the fear of cancer often comes about through a related traumatic event (the death of a loved-one etc) or something as simple as a movie. Some ideas about what has caused my fears:
--"American Splendor", a good movie but embarrassing to cite as a cause of my fear.
--Thankfully nobody very close to me has had cancer, but several aquaintances have (eg friends of friends etc) and so cancer is now an everyday topic of conversation.
--Alcohol may be a factor. I never drank very heavily, but I cut it out once I began to notice I needed a beer or two just to calm down enough to go to sleep. I have a feeling that this anxiety reliever was doing more harm than good, perhaps changing my body chemistry or something to be more prone to anxiety.

Two holes in my fear's logic:
Knowing that my irrational fear is irrational doesn't do what it should (destroy the problem) but it is reassuring to a certain degree:
--Like many of you I have a huge list of cancers I've thought I had, and that's just for yesterday! The fact that it moves all over literally from head to feet shows no physical consistency (of what is of course a physical illness). The only consistency is in my psychology, in the fear itself.
--The most persistent and potent 'argument' my fear has blessed me with is that my 'instinct' is warning me of impending doom. This I believe scares me the most because instinct was never logical, was never supposed to be, and we all must to some degree trust our instinct. I am trying to teach myself now that instinct is based in one's psychology, and is only useful and trustworthy when the psychology is healthy. If you want to paint a realistic looking picture, you need to integrate perspective/vanishing-point with your artistic instinct in order for it to work. In order for instinct to work the person's psychology needs to have realistic perspective.

Fears:
--At times I worry about my girlfriend's health. I don't want to drag her into this!
--I have always done my best to be psychologically self-sufficient. Although I may at times feel I have made progress, it all goes straight to zero when I find another "symptom".

Things that help (some):
--Talking. Since I'm afraid of running out of my girlfriend's patience I'm happy that you're here.
--I have begun pinpointing my irrational thoughts and saying aloud 'shut up' when they arise. Doesn't sound very healthy but it does come in handy sometimes.
--Walking. This can take a while to get into if I'm really nervous. Walking usually gives the perfect balance of introspection and distraction. Television is never productive, but neither is just turning it off and sitting there.

Thank you IF you have read all this. Sorry for the long message. I promise to be more concise in the future!

Sincerely,
Lewis

trac67
07-07-06, 22:54
Hi Lewis,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care
Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

polly daydream
08-07-06, 00:54
Hi Lewis and welcome to the forum.

Best wishes,

Polly

giddy
08-07-06, 07:54
Hi Lewis - welcome to the forum. I found walking very useful too - when I was at my most anxious there would be many a night I'd drag my poor husband round the streets until I'd calmed down!!
love Helen

chedda
08-07-06, 10:54
Hia Lewis and welcome to the site :D
Know you get loads of good advice and support on here
take care cheryl xx

chucklehound
08-07-06, 11:06
Hi Lewis and welcome to the forum

Take care

Chuckle

xxxx

Karen
08-07-06, 12:33
Hi Lewis

Welcome to the forum.

You might like to have a read through the following information as a place to start:

First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps)

Symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=symptoms)

Health Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=healthanxiety)

Links post: Links to posts about Common Problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784)

You will find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

manmoor
08-07-06, 13:03
Hi Lewis,

Welcome aboard. I also have a fear of cancer so can sympathise with you totally.

Take Care

Mandy

xx