PDA

View Full Version : convinced im going to have a heart attack

phil21
11-05-12, 18:27
ive been getting sharp pains under my left pectoral and on my left side (rib) for about 2 weeks now, they only last for a second but i get them up to about 30 times a day, had a really bad one today and pain was horrendous again only lasted for a second. ive been for countless ECG'S and an echocardiogram and all were normal. im really tempted to go doctors again but the chances are they'll say its just anxiety as always. does anyone else get these and isit worth going back the doctors for?

Many Thanks

Princess Tiffany
11-05-12, 18:43
I get the same things. That's why my panic attacks flared up again. I too went to A and E and the doctors. All test came back fine, but I still get the pains and that keeps my anxiety at its peak. However after loads of internet and book research and talks with the doctors its all anxiety related. When you are tense all the time, your chest takes the brunt of it. All your muscles tense up, which causes pains. If it was heart related it wouldnt have lasted as long as it has. I completely understand that you are anxious, I am suffering the same but we need to relax and give our muscles a break. Does it hurt more when you breath? Also are you on meds for your anxiety or are you getting treatment? X

phil21
11-05-12, 19:01
thanks a lot for your comment thats what mine might be because im basically waiting for it to happen all the time, nope doesnt seem to hurt more when i breath and the doctor prescribed me with propranolol but havent started taking them yet :huh: heard the side effects were bad so chickened out. did the doctor prescribe you with anything?

x

Princess Tiffany
11-05-12, 19:20
I had propanolol to start with but they didn't really help, they calmed my heart down a lot though. Generally muscle pains hurt more when you breath in. But in pretty convinced its not your heart, iv looked up all the symptoms and they are not what you are having. Don't look them up for yourself though, because once you know them its incredibley easy for your body to mimic them by thinking about them. I'm know on citalopram. They are bloody awful at first, iv only been on them for two days, but the side effects will wear off after a couple of weeks. I'm currently waiting to start CBT sessions and I think its vital that you go to your doctor and get him to refer you. Because meds will only help for so long. You need to get help so that you can learn to deal with them by yourself. In the mean time we can share our problems on here. It's an amazing place. x

KK77
11-05-12, 19:30
Phil - Lots of people here have found prop really useful in controlling the physical effects of panic, which then sets off your anxious mind - it's a vicious cycle. Plus it can be taken as and when needed and is not addictive - although you should follow doc's prescribing advice.

It really does sound like a consequence of tense muscles causing your pain and you should take comfort in having had tests done and gotten the all-clear.

turnthelighton
13-05-12, 13:44
I have this pain too, comes and goes and only lasts a couple seconds.