PDA

View Full Version : Almost smashed the car having a panic attack

TillySm
13-05-12, 14:09
Panic disorder has to be the WORST mental illness possible.

Second time in ER in 7 days.

I had a panic attack today while driving to see my sister. It was bloody terrible, I was driving around a suburb in confusion and disorientation trying to fight through it. Then I decided I better turn around and go home, had another one whilst driving past the hospital and I thought it was a heart attack and I was a goner. I was doing 80km/h starting to faint and I thought 'this is it, I'm stuffed'. I turned the car around swerving all over the road and got caught at the lights - I still felt that losing consciousness feeling and whilst I was at the lights and I was constantly trying to unlock my mobile phone to call my wife to tell her but my hands were shaking so hard I kept dropping the phone. I eventually made it to the hospital. Eight hours later I was discharged and high on valium. I could of sworn it was a heart problem but this time they were very thorough, no signs of heart trouble, arrhythmia or anemia. My blood pressure was up to 160/100 and my pulse rate was 125bpm. After 25mgs of Valium it was down to <100 and my blood pressure was 130/80.

It was the most terrifying experience of my life so far.

I haven't been on Valium for 10 years and back them I only took one dose one time for anxiety (nothing as bad as this).

I haven't really experienced real panic disorder till today - I feel for everyone here. It is the most distressing frightening experience. Well, I suppose now I am going to be on Valium. It is amazing what the mind over body can do - if anyone ever tells you this is in your head and to 'calm down, stay calm', give them a slap for me please because a panic attack feels AS REAL AS A MEDICAL CONDITION and it is terrifying.

Next time if it happens again I am going to stop the car immediately and get out and pace quickly to ward of the adrenaline until it is gone. I have learnt that sitting there and trying to pretend nothing is happening is the worst thing possible to do - sitting there and fighting the fight or flight response is a losing battle, it makes my body go haywire when I sit there especially when talking to someone and pretending everything is okay.

So anyone else been in the hospital for this lately?

&

What are others thoughts on getting straight up and moving fast when having a panic attack to try and use the adrenaline - does this work for you?

Donny
15-05-12, 15:05
Hi TillySam

I have recently had a spell of going into A&E over 9 times and was put through every test from heart attack check to heart stress test and even eventually a brain MRI.

Not surprisingly, all of them came back clear.

I agree, panic attacks will manifest itself in every physical way which would worry you. but it tends to be unique to each sufferer. If I am afraid of having a heart attack I will get symptoms of a heart attack during a panic attack.

If I can convince myself that my heart is fine then the mind will start working on the next thing that scares me. Stroke, Tumor, you name it.

Best thing you can do is work your way through each worry and rule it out. Bit of a long process but it works in the end.

D&K
15-05-12, 16:27
i have felt the same way sometimes when i go out alone but have never been able to explain it like you did above. i was just wondering did the valium help you as ive put off taking any drugs and havent seen my doctor about taking any pills.

Em84
17-05-12, 06:42
When I have an attack I can't sit still at all...they always come when I'm alone in the house with the baby...so become scared that I will drop dead in front of her and no one will be there to help.......

I usually try doing any housework possible, washing dishes, hoovering anything that keeps me moving so I can focus on that task. It's hard though because the symptoms are still there...I could be washing and shaking as I put the plates down etc.

I don't think it's a case of relax relax. I have been calm and very happy when attacks have come on.

It's a horrible thing and even my husband thinks I'm crazy and make it up....lol

TillySm
17-05-12, 06:59
Hey Em,

I know what it is like - absolutely terrifying, that isn't helpful that your hubby doesn't believe you. I would suggest buying a injectable shot of adrenaline from a chemist (you know the emergency ones for people that are allergic to things and get anaphalactic reaction). Wait till he is asleep and just give him the shot on the thigh then carefully wake him up and make sure he is relaxed. The resulting fear and terror he will suddenly feel next will be exactly like a panic attack and then when he calms down you can tell him that is what it feels like. He will believe you then!

I was obviously half joking about shooting him up with adrenaline but not about panic attacks being terrifying. I know that feeling of thinking you are going to drop in front of someone or smash the car - nothing more terrifying on the planet. I read an account here of an civie electrician that was working in an active war zone with bombs and rockets blowing up everywhere and he preferred that to the terrifying panic attacks he has at home. (cant remember who that was)