PDA

View Full Version : Weight gain on antipsychotics

dan1234
13-05-12, 15:26
Does anyone know if weight gain on APs is caused due to an increased appetite and thus we eat more, or is it due to chemical reactions within the body? Obviously the first we can control, the latter we can't.

Thanks

Dan

nicola1980
13-05-12, 16:30
My shrink says it increases your appetite but ive not it or any weight gain on olanzapine x x

Pat Pending
13-05-12, 16:44
I had been the same weight for years, I was given meds, I think they were antipsychotic but they could have been antidepiessants. All I wanted to do was eat.
I had to give them up

LAURA48
13-05-12, 17:02
Probably they were Mirtazapine - I gained weight on those - but needed to!

rooby
15-05-12, 11:24
It might just be that the meds make you feel a bit better so you eat more. My dr told me they "may make you gain a bit of weight" apparently they make you crave carbs, but so far I haven't put on any after 4 months on olanzapine and I am feeling a LOT better. I read a lot of scary experiences on the net how people have gained pounds on them so I was really nervous to take them, my advice would be that you really don't know how the med is going to affect you until you actually take it yourself as we are all affected differently.

dan1234
17-05-12, 10:01
Just to update, I am happy on risperidone, nearly a week and I think it is helping.

Dan

shotokansho
20-06-12, 20:48
Hey. I was on Quetiapine and I gained loads of weight. I couldn't stop eating. I had to stop taking them because the weight gain was making my depression worse.

millie1954
20-06-12, 20:52
hi, im taking risperidone and phenelzine anyone else taking phenelzine or Nardil

grotbags
22-06-12, 11:41
I think it can be due to either one. My ex was on antipsychotics and he gained about 5 stone, even though he was doing lots of sports and barely eating. From everything I've read, antipsycotics and antidepressants (to a lesser extent) can cause weight gain even if the appetite is not affected. I'm not speaking from personal experience, but from everything I've read over the years.