PDA

View Full Version : panic/Anxiety!!

angel11
13-05-12, 15:28
Hello,
I have been having panic/Anxiety attacks now 24 years now (Since I was 8 years old) and never had any help or medication for it just kinda tryed to cope with them I have always found the doctors really unhelpfull. Throughout the years of having these panic and Anxiety attacks the symptoms and feelings have changed as I have got older although I don't get them all the time when I do there are pretty bad. I find myself self- harming myself., ie pinching/digging my nails in parts of my body even bruising at times. Last week I was driving back from london and just came over strange. My eyes went funny I had numbness and tingling all over but I didn't pull over I carryed on and by the time I got home I looked like i'd been beaten up with bruising and scratches on my chest,face and hands lol but once I was home I started to feel better.

Now I am getting new symptoms that I have never had before and i'm hoping that this isnt going to be long term but when I am driving in my car I feel my thoat tightening up and im holding my breath, I feel very light headed and my eyes go funny and the thing thats worrying me the most is my face goes numb and when I look at myself in the car mirror my eyes and face looks weird to me and I look drained. I keep going mind and when I have been out the car for a bit and start walking round the shops I start feeling better although my head and eyes are still feeling weird. Then I get back into the car again and start feeling it again then I start yawning alot and I know thats due to the anxiety. I just want to know is this another new symptom of anxiety and does anyone else get this or is it a cause for concern. If it is Anxiety I will be able to cope with it just like I have for years the doctors do nothing and I have been to them and hospitals for years. Does anyone know anything that will help me cope better without medication?? Thankyou.

James1983
13-05-12, 16:41
Hello, have you tried breathing techniques? A nice few deep breaths can relax you, there are help pages on this site. also rescue remedy is good when you are driving just a few drops on the tongue is good it is non prescription and not addictive. I also have gone through periods of hurting myself to control panic and can relate to what you are saying. driving can be stressful for people although it is the opposite with me i calm down when i drive and get panic in other situations! The trick is to hang in there and tell yourself all is well. what works for me is the fact that i have survived other attacks so why should this one be any different? it is about accepting and not fighting. hope this helps.

Princess Tiffany
13-05-12, 17:02
How about playing some music, or listening to a talk radio. I find singing along to a song or listening to an interesting conversation distracts me from thinking about my physical symptoms to much. Also try crack the window open a little, the fresh air will make you feel better. Counting down from 100 is also a good one. If you find it gets too bad then pull over and get out of the car for a while. Unfortunately it is very easy to associate places and task with panic attacks once you have had one in that place or whilst doing a certain thing. So it sounds like what you have done is associate panic with driving you car and you need to break that association. Instead of thinking of you r symptoms individually, just remember that they are all anxiety related and non of them can harm you.

But in the long run its important to get professional help, It will only get worse, I speak from experience. If you doctor is unwilling or unsupportive then find a new doctor. CBT is undoubtedly worth a try as it will give you life long coping technics. I hope this helps. x

angel11
13-05-12, 17:11
Thankyou James I have tried to do the breathing techniques but its really hard to concentrate on it when you are going through the attack and feeling strange thats why I have been pinching/scratching myself because it helps me get through it better! One time a had a panic attack in front of the doctor and he made me sit there and keep blowing in the bag for ages when usually after a couple of blows i'd have stopped. I felt really great after and never felt like that before after an attack and walked out of the surgery feeling great, but when I do the same thing by myself it doesnt work the same! Its only just the last couple of days I have been feeling this way in the car. I have always felt relaxed driving I'm just hoping that this passes. I have the rescue remedy chewing gums that i have tried a few times but they dont seem to work for me. After all these years of having them I have always told myself it's just panic and nothing will happen but wow when i have them they are so horrible and the feelings are always changing I was kinda hoping that as I got older I would grow out of them or the feelings wouldnt be so bad but im kinda thinking as I get older they are gonna get worse and its kind of scary. :unsure:

James1983
13-05-12, 17:23
have you ever tried CBT? talking to someone can be really good. During an attack it can be hard to distract yourself i know. afterwards i sometimes feel guilty if i have not been able to control it. we just have to carry on, it will get better.

angel11
13-05-12, 17:41
I put the aircon on when im driving and as crazy as I sound talk to myself lol kinda helps me along. I went on a CBT course but couldnt sit through it. I had to walk out but that was about two years ago now I might give it another go, But i have always thought they might show you how do do the breathing and all that but when you are actually panicing or having an attack you just do it your own way that helps you. I cant sit and concentrate on all that when I'm in that state I cant even breath in a bag for very long but i will give CBT ago again and see how I go on!!! Do any of you have that numb feeling in your face tho???

James1983
13-05-12, 21:50
yeah i get the numb feeling in the face as well, it is the nerves stimulated by the anxiety. Dont worry i talk to myself and i talk to the car all the time!