PDA

View Full Version : depesenalization what does it feel like

elvin1
14-05-12, 06:52
my mind never stops raceing feel unreal out of it is this depersenalization

Pacific
15-05-12, 14:07
hey, yes sounds like it. Its a very common anxiety symptom and completly harmless. Try not to focus on the feeling too much. It will go away!

xfilme
17-05-12, 13:28
depersonalization makes you feel like you a spectator in your own life and not experiencing things in your own body. Like walking along in a movie. You know you are present but you dont feel like you are. Thats what it felt like to me, anyway x

mandshere2000
17-05-12, 13:36
Hi Elvin
Awful symptom of anxiety and so frightening, but if you
search DP on here there's lots of good advice and it really does help
to read about others experiences
What i have always wondered is why do some people get this and
and some not
Manda

Jezza
18-05-12, 13:41
I get this symptom alot, I feel like I am only 50% conscious/here and worried I will faint etc. I feel like i am in a dream. It's scary when I am with my toddler or driving as I worry i will just switch off.

NoPoet
20-05-12, 18:00
Depersonalisation is actually a defence mechanism, but it can be triggered by medication, illness etc. Nobody has ever been hurt by it and it will pass gradually. For me, it passed in one moment of blazing insight, when I realised I wasn't living on an alien planet, the world hadn't changed, I had changed. Suddenly I "snapped back" into reality and have never experienced depersonalisation since (except when extremely tired, also normal).

chemilyx
20-05-12, 23:33
depersonalization makes you feel like you a spectator in your own life and not experiencing things in your own body. Like walking along in a movie. You know you are present but you dont feel like you are. Thats what it felt like to me, anyway x

That is exactly what it's like for me.

I think depersonalization is different for a lot of people though, I guess it varies. I would say it manifests itself differently from person to person.

The way I've described it to people is that it's like watching your life through a hazy window. You're not connected to the feelings, the things going on around you, you have no way "in" to take control of yourself, you're just helplessly watching, totally bemused and confused and wanting to just connect with yourself again.

I also find that when I'm in that situation I feel even more intensely that I have no idea who I am or how other people see me, and that in turn just makes me feel even more depersonalized and detached and confused. Horrible :(