PDA

View Full Version : Hey everyone im new here.

davexdurham
14-05-12, 09:34
Hello everyone im new here.

My name is Dave, im 24 and male from Durham England.
I found this site just searching for people with the same or similar thoughts/ feelings as me. I have only started to realise I suffer from anxiety and while im waiting for CBT (ive been waiting over a month for the "course" to get back to me. I thought I would try other places and see if I could talk to others with the same problem as me.

My anxiety seems to be based around eating out. I had salmonella poisoning on a holiday I went on when I was younger and im convinced thats completely ruined the whole restaurant setting for me. I am dying to improve on this as all I want to do is take my girlfriend out for meals like normal couples. Thankfully she understands ive got anxiety but It still makes me think "what if she just gets rid of me and finds someone that she can do all these activities with?"

I suffer from almost all the symptoms that other people on here experience and while my anxiety seems to be based around eating out I am having episodes of it almost every other day even if im just sat in my house. Is this normal?

Sorry for the lengthy post I just thought Id introduce myself.

diane07
14-05-12, 09:38
Hi davexdurham

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

davexdurham
14-05-12, 09:39
Thanks! Hopefully I will get some tips that will help me in the long run x

gem7
14-05-12, 16:56
i know how u feel i have that too i cant eat out its very hard :hugs:

Jackie37
14-05-12, 17:32
Hi my name is Jackie and I have terrible anxiety I would like to talk to someone.

davexdurham
14-05-12, 18:08
hey Jackie I hope we can get some help together. Im putting my hopes in this site as the doctors route of cbt is taking ages for the waiting list and im having troubles with anxiety almost every other day.

Pipkin
14-05-12, 18:10
Hi Dave and :welcome:!

Pip

BobbyDog
14-05-12, 18:59
Your symptoms are all normal, you are not alone.
The CBT does take ages, but it should help you to deal with the problems you are experiencing.

davexdurham
14-05-12, 23:23
thanks its good to hear it can help! I am going to edinburgh on wednessday and im really nervous about it because I dont like being away from home and eating out like ive said before. Are there any tips to control myself? I am going to get some rescue remedy and ive tried kalms but I dont feel they really do much.

CameronG
14-05-12, 23:34
Hi mate, im from near Durham, where you from?

davexdurham
15-05-12, 09:03
I live in a Place called Bowburn mate you?

EliStarr*
15-05-12, 10:11
Hello everyone im new here.

My name is Dave, im 24 and male from Durham England.
I found this site just searching for people with the same or similar thoughts/ feelings as me. I have only started to realise I suffer from anxiety and while im waiting for CBT (ive been waiting over a month for the "course" to get back to me. I thought I would try other places and see if I could talk to others with the same problem as me.

My anxiety seems to be based around eating out. I had salmonella poisoning on a holiday I went on when I was younger and im convinced thats completely ruined the whole restaurant setting for me. I am dying to improve on this as all I want to do is take my girlfriend out for meals like normal couples. Thankfully she understands ive got anxiety but It still makes me think "what if she just gets rid of me and finds someone that she can do all these activities with?"

I suffer from almost all the symptoms that other people on here experience and while my anxiety seems to be based around eating out I am having episodes of it almost every other day even if im just sat in my house. Is this normal?

Sorry for the lengthy post I just thought Id introduce myself.

Hey! Welcome... My name is Hayley-Elizabeth.. Preferably Eli...

I can totally relate, I'm on here also waiting for CBT, I'm currently on a waiting list so I'm just trying to find some friends and peeps whom I can relate to. I've had social phobia for years now but only just been diagnosed several months ago, my partner helped me to go to our GP when I moved in with him, his helped me quite abit, we're just waiting for my CBT now. I often think the same things about my partner like omg i'm too boring, maybe his better off with someone else who can entertain him more, but his told me he loves me regardless, I very much doubt your gf will leave you, she said she loves you and understands - so relax! :)

I Think you will really benifit from CBT it kind of like retrains the way you think, so it will help you to boot those old thoughts about eating out and start fresh!

My social phobia effects me day in day out, I live with my partner in his parents house and so I don't leave the bedroom unless my partner comes with me, on really bad days I even make him come to the bathroom with me, when I get up in the mornings I won't leave the bedroom until he is up aswell, and I can't go downstairs without him, I just get so panicky that I'm going to pass paths with one of his parents and have to make conversation which I'm absolutely appalling at! I got really hot and blank and then when I do say something (I usually just speak when spoken to like answering questions etc) I kick myself after for making a complete fool of myself, I just feel so stupid around people, like I'm not worthy of the company.

I Hope your CBT helps you, you could maybe research some self help techniques also. And dont worry about your gf leaving you! Again, just relax :flowers:

davexdurham
15-05-12, 10:21
we have had a convo and she says that aslong as im trying to get help its ok but she does want to go on holidays and stuff in the future and it will be a problem if im still the same. I cant blame her for that really I would be the same from an outside point of view. I really hope CBT works because I really dont want to have to go on medication to appear "normal".

I wish there was just some miracle cure. Sadly what works for some doesnt work for others by the looks of it.

EliStarr*
15-05-12, 10:30
Yea, well find something that helps you and stick to it, I mean when I used to go on holiday with family some of my family members didnt like foreign food so they'd look for a place that served english food by english owners, you can do that.

I know where you're coming from, I want a job, to have my own flat, to drive, to have kids and get married etc but I can't do any of that because of the way I am plus my partner is ill. So we are waiting on BOTH of us getting help and cured etc

You'll find your help, you just need a good mix of therapy and self help, and prehaps even medication. I mother inlaw had agraphobia and although shes okay now she still gets the jitters when going in the car so she carries this little mouth spray called rescue remedy, and it works a treat for her, she recommended it to me, personally it didnt help me but i think its more for mild anixeties rather than sever social phobia like what I have. :flowers:

---------- Post added at 10:30 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

Another tip, only go to resturants you trust and are used to to begin with until you get your trust in eating out back :) It isn't going to be a walk in the park, or quick and simple, no doubt it will be a gradual process, but I trust you'll get there!

davexdurham
15-05-12, 12:39
thanks alot. Its good to know that someones got faith in recovery. Ive just been to the chemist to buy some emergency spray its by the same company but its alcohol free. I will try that tomorrow because im meant to be having a full english before me and my girlfriend get on the train.

EliStarr*
15-05-12, 15:54
Best of luck to you :flowers: