PDA

View Full Version : Overbreathing

sadie
18-05-04, 20:51
Hi all,

I have been experiencing lots of symptoms again over the lst week or so. I am not as scared as I used to be about the symptoms but the fear of 'what if' is still there. I havent had a full blown panic attack but I have noticed my heart has been beating a bit faster lately.

The thing is I think a lot of my symptoms are a result of overbreathing. I feel my chest getting tighter, my breathing getting shallower, feeling lightheaded, dizzy, fluttering in my chest or funny feelings in my throat, chest pains, sore points in my chest area, tingling in my feet and hands, feeling bloated and that I want to burp....etc..

Does these symptoms sound like I am overbreathing? The thing is when I do breath calmly the symptoms do disappear, so I do think they are caused by overbreathing.

I know the way to rectify this is by breathing properly...in for 3 and out for 6, but I find this difficult when I am at work and I find it really difficult sitting up!!!

I was wondering if any of you guys had some tips that you could share with me to help this problem?:)

sadie

Meg
18-05-04, 22:34
You're right.

Try breathing out via your mouth - its easier whilst sitting.

A loud ticking clock can help regulate your breathing.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

jonny
18-05-04, 23:11
Breathing correctly is the best way to calm down but you need to make sure you do it right.
If you breath too shallow and quickly you will only enhance your anxiety. You should allways breathe deeply through your mouth and right down into your stomach. Try this:

Place one hand on your chest and one hand on your stomach. Breathe in an try to make sure the hand on your stomach rises higher than the one on your chest. If your chest hand rises higher you are breathing too shallow.

Works for me!!!

Jonny.

april tones
18-05-04, 23:13
try keeping mouth closed and breathing through your nose while doing something to keep your mind active, some times works for me, x x x

apriltones

sadie
19-05-04, 19:18
Thanks all,

I will keep practicing my breathing when not at work as its suppossed to help when the breathing does get out of hand as you can rectify it quicker.

My anxiety seems to be coming back with a vegenance at the moment, throwing all sorts of symptoms at me. I think its cause a personal problem has raised its ugly head again. Never mind, I have coped before I can cope again.....

Take care

sadie

benoo5
20-05-04, 17:54
hello,my friend...sorry to hear your having a bad time,but ime sure you know,that its only temporary,as youve overcome this many times before!

try the yogic breathing technique (alternate nostril),its known as the fastest way of getting your breathing back to normal,and has been used for hundreds of years,with great success.if you cant find it on here,just email me on hotmail,and i will pass on the details. i know that breathing into a paper bag,is good for hyperventilating,but its quite good for your problem as well,so give that a go for a couple of minutes,at least it will make sure,your breathing in the correct mix of gases,worth a try!

try and have a nice relaxing evening....bryan xxx.

sadie
20-05-04, 19:52
Hi Bryan,

I know youre right with the 'temporary thing' but it just gets frustrating at times when all you want to be is 'normal'!!!

I remember now about the yogic breathing, I know you have mentioned this before. I will give it a go, no harm in trying. I just never thought that overbreathing would cause so many unpleasant symptoms!!

Hope your doing ok and settled into your new home.

Take care

sadie

Meg
20-05-04, 22:31
Sadie,

You may find 'box breathing' easier if it's just for reducing symptoms of tingling etc

In for 3 , hold for 3 out for 3, hold for 3. Get used to that then repeat with 4's..

Tonic water/extra fizzy drink for the bloating. You are probably swallowing air and do need to bring it up..

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

jollywalrus
21-05-04, 09:20
Hi,
My cure for overbreathing is to suck an boiled sweet and keep your mouth closed. Breathing returns to normal through your nose!
Just a suggestion!
Best wishes,
Christine

Rennie1989
21-05-04, 14:06
cool way christine

Scooter Girl

sadie
21-05-04, 19:49
Thanks all,

Meg - I have been spending some time each night just deep breathing which seems to be helping a bit, although Im still regularly getting the buzzing feet throughout the day!!! Although, now Im am recognising the symptoms more often and stoping them quicker. Will mention these symptoms to my Kinesiologist next week.

Christine - Im not one for eating boiled sweets...Im more a chocolate girl but will give it a go!!

Take care

sadie

april tones
21-05-04, 22:37
hi sadie, hope your feeling better now, take care, keep yur chin up, love april x

apriltones

HB
22-05-04, 14:39
thats a fab idea Christine, just tried it- works!! finally something to take my mind off overbreathing!!! :-) yay! xx

H

HB
11-06-04, 16:35
still working....!!

H