PDA

View Full Version : bp during panic attack

karenjudy
14-05-12, 13:45
I was just wondering if anyone else checks there blood pressure when having a panic attack,?
I had an attack yesterday (well hoping it was) was very shaky and breathing shallow and fast so sat down to calm down, didnt get any better and felt really light headed like I would faint so laid down but it made me feel even more giddy so say back up again. Started really shaking all over then and felt awful.
The first thing I do is check my blood pressure ( dont know why suppose its like a comfort blanket) anyway 1st reading was 130/90 so ok not too bad considering but started to climb over the next hour and reached 145/104 but pulse was only 59. During this time I still felt awful and was shaking, I am a diet controlled diabetic but blood sugar was fine at 7.8.
Obviosuly I shouldnt check my BP as it causes more panic but cannot find anywhere about readings which suddenly increase due to circumstance, it's the bottom number that worries me (104)
Has anyone else had a reading like this and is it normal under these circumstances?
I am normally very anxious daily and depressed, a real mess really, not on meds have phobia about tablets but havent had a panic attack like this for a year or so now so really worried what happened yesterday but hoping it was panic and nothing horrible

LucyR
14-05-12, 14:12
Hi, I took my blood pressure once while having a panic attack and it too was sky high. I think it best if you try to restrain yourself from taking your blood pressure as it will only panic you worse!

Jenwales
14-05-12, 14:35
Sounds like a panic attack. I've been seeing the doctor and my blood pressure has been high but I'm hoping it's just my anxiety. I think it is as I'm fine otherwise. They gave me beta blockers which is often prescrbed for blood pressure but also anxiety. I'm going ot find out whats happening with me tomorrow

nooey007
14-05-12, 17:24
I've had readings like that and worse during a panic attack x

mumof4
14-05-12, 19:18
mine was sky high when i had a attack most peoples will go up when they have a panic attack.

kittikat
14-05-12, 22:37
BP will go up during a panic as your heart is pumping extra blood to protect your vital organs as a reaction to fight the 'fear'. You may also feel a little spaced out or dizzy as less blood is needed in your brain. It is a natural process and really not a good idea to take your BP during or just after a panic as it will always register higher at this point. Completley normal and most certainly a panic attack. Take care, try not to worry too much as that will make your anxiety worse. Kitti :)

waunder
15-05-12, 04:42
Yes ,I do not check my BP when I am panicking .I am too busy being terrified. I tend to want to run when I panic. Crazy I know. I take BP meds. I meditate but maybe having some chamomile tea [even cold] near would help. Lavender or rescue remedy. Taping your inner wrist is suppose to help calm you down to. Hope this helps.:)

karenjudy
15-05-12, 09:27
thank you everyone for your kind comments, I know I shouldnt be checking my BP at these times, my husband goes mad at me for doing it but as i said its like a comfort blanket, most of the time when I feel anxious of slightly panicky I check it and its ok, I suppose its because of the health anxiety that if its ok then i must be ok despite all the horrible feelings, fears and sensations. Would be ok if I had the same sensations everytime but day to day its always different, cant think, dont know what I am doing, spaced out, shaky, weak, light headed, loss of balance, things move in my line of vision, cant speak, stutter, so dizzy in the mornings feels like I will fall over, these are just a few of the things that happen through out the day at different times, never seem to get a rest from any of it, people frighten me, agrophobic but manage to get to and from work only becuase my husband works in the same place, really got worse in the last 5 years but i have had all this for 23 years, spent thousands of therapy over the years as doctors wont fund it, money has now run out, cant take any meds as phobic about them and foods when i am having a bad day, have no firends, an only child and lost my mum 7 yrs ago to drink and still cant deal with that, what was one do but keep going ploding on wading through the daily sludge of life