PDA

View Full Version : Intrusive Thoughts

nash09
14-05-12, 14:32
Hi everyone ,

lately i have been depressed about alot of things happening in my life exp, Debts , relationship , family , and constantly worrying about my breathing .
It seems it got worse after i had felt another weird attack, while i was just normally sitting and smoking , i suddenly had this feeling that what if i lose control and kill my self !!! and from then onwards even if i sit down watching tv my mind automatically swipes me telling that you have got this problem and you cant live happy with it mind keeps bringing it up !!

lately Saturday i was alone @ home and i started to go wild again trying to combat the thoughts.that i kept reading the internet and goggling on mental hospital to stop me from lossing control over my self - It made me feel weird like some kind weird feeling on my body !!

but i managed to come outta it , but now it seems im dwelling on my intrusive thoughts again . and again .

currently im on medication and tommrrow i have got an appt with the psychiatrist. Any feedback is greatly appreciated

fluvoxamine
and mitarzapine

Beckybooboo
14-05-12, 16:12
Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you're going through this at the moment, intrusive thoughts are an absolute nightmare to deal with! I, myself deal with these each and everyday and I really have to distract myself from detrimentally thinking about them, as I know it's not going to do me any favours.

Realistically, I think you should weigh up the likelyness and probability of these situations happening. Do you honestly believe that whilst smoking a cigarette you'll lose control and kill yourself? Do you think that you're going to be an evil, bad person for having these thoughts? The answers are no. And I'll tell you why.

An intrusive thought is an enemy of the rational mind which likes to pop up every now and then (depending on the frequency of them) and frighten you. Thus, causing anxiety/depression/guilty/self-worthlessness and panic. The thing about these thoughts which you must remember, is that they're all in your head. They are not reality and they are most certainly not your friend.

When another thought arises, think to yourself "yeah, I know you're there but I'm going to focus on having this cigarette/watching this show on tv, doing the dishes/whatever you're doing. You're more than welcome to stay there but I'm occupied right now, so I can't focus on you at the moment." dismiss them and replace them with a nice memory, or visualize a place that means something to you that makes you smile.

I have a blog: www.beckybowerenspiller.wordpress.com which is generically for anxiety, obsessive thoughts and depression which may be able to help you.

I wish you all the best,
Becky