PDA

View Full Version : Very anxious about dying my hair, my anxiety is getting in the way of me being happy.

newtoanxiety
14-05-12, 15:19
Hi Guys,

I have been searching the internet for information about allergic reactions to hair dye when I came across a forum on this website about people with anxiety and a girl who was so anxious about dying her hair. This is exactly what I am experiencing and it is really getting me down. I have never had an allergic reaction to dying my hair and I have been getting it highlighted for years but recently I have become very anxious about all sorts of things. I used to get my eyebrows dyed and had very little problem (other than a little itchy immediately after) but I have now convinced myself that I am allergic to it. I have still managed to get my hair highlighted but all of a sudden I have become terrified and have convinced myself I am going to have a severe reaction to it. I have booked an appointment at the hairdressers for 2 weeks time and I plan to go in tomorrow to get a patch test, but I am still terrified, even if the patch test is fine I am convinced I will still get a reaction. The worst bit is I know that even if I don't get a reaction I will convince myself that I have got an itchy head or something. For the last two weeks I have been worrying about this and I end up itching my head just thinking about it. I don't know what to do, I'm not sure dying my hair is worth it, but also I am annoyed with myself because my anxiety is now getting in the way of me being happy, I take pride in my appearance and at the moment I can't bare to look in the mirror. It is so nice to hear that other people have experienced the same thing.

x x x

Pinkcasi
14-05-12, 15:31
You know that it's just the anxiety though right, so try and not think about it i know that's easier said then done but seriously the amount of people that get a reaction are so slim, you would have to be the unluckiest person ever seriously when i had my hair done, i showed up and they said you have to have a patch test sorry we cant do it today, i was so desperate to have it done they said i could sign a waiver I asked how often it happens and only one stylist out of 6 said she knew someone once in 8 years of styling, it's so rare honestly, especailly after the patch test.
I know its hard to think rationally once the anxiety takes hold believe me but you can not let it ruin your life, and just think how good you'll feel once it's done, beautiful And brave to boot!

Em84
14-05-12, 16:40
Hi Hun

Every time I get my roots done my anxiety is terrible....I sit in the hairdressers and within 10 mins, I go pale, feel sick, dizzy and it pretty much lasts the whole time I'm there....I hate it.....
Not sure why it happens...I've had alopecia 3 times so I do guess that I have some mild fear about my hair and things going wrong which may trigger it....

You'll find once it's done you'll feel great....

X :bighug1:

newtoanxiety
15-05-12, 09:55
Thanks guys that has made me feel A LOT better,

I am going to get the patch test done this afternoon. So wish me luck, I know I will probably be fine but I also know that I'll start convincing myself that I have reacted to the patch test. Watch this space ............

:hugs: