PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my mum

GirlAfraid23
14-05-12, 15:48
For once, this isn't a post about my health!

Although I am always worried about my health, i am recently concerned about my mum, she is in her early 50s and has been going through the menopause for about a year now. Hot flushes etc. She hasn't bled properly for a year but did have to have polyps removed less than a year ago now.

Yesterday she said she has been having a "mini period" out of nowhere & obviously she is worried.
I'm wondering if this is normal or a sign of cancer? Another thing to worry about!

GirlAfraid23
14-05-12, 22:58
Anyone?

CameronG
14-05-12, 23:05
Hey hun, the best thing If you or your mother have concerns your best having a visit to your gp, I'm sure your mums fine tho xx

nomorepanic
14-05-12, 23:07
Yeah have a word with the doc - we really don't know her medical background etc so we are not best to advise.

grotbags
14-05-12, 23:11
It's good to get it checked out. It doesn't automatically mean a problem, but the sooner you see a doctor about it the better. And don't be afraid of a second opinion if you feel it's needed. However, chances are it's nothing to worry about as she's only been going through it a year. I do know of some of my mum's friends who've had random periods like this and it's turned out to be absolutely fine :)

GirlAfraid23
15-05-12, 13:28
Thanks guys.
She has an appointment at docs tomoz. I've always had seperation anxiety especially around mum so her not being around scares the life out of me.
I'm really worried it will turn out to be something sinister as bleeding after menopause symptoms is never good.
She hasn't had any other symptoms.
I can't even entertain the thought of het being ill, its too painful.

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

Nicola, her medical history is fine, never been seriously ill but she has had issues with polyps and benign growths in the past.
She had to undergo a procedure to have them removed.
Are these things likely to re-occur?

GirlAfraid23
16-05-12, 11:58
She's been referred to the hospital for an emergency appointment.

I'm so worried & scared for her :(

Is this routine?

imissnotworrying
16-05-12, 16:34

Is this routine?

i think they always use the 'better safe than sorry' approach so they check for the worst case scenario first. the bleeding could be from a cyst or something else that's minor/benign, but at least they're checking quickly, i hope they rule out the bad stuff and you have no cause to worry soon :hugs: Xx

grotbags
16-05-12, 19:36

Is this routine?

I don't know if it's routine, but I think it's reassuring that they're taking her seriously. I know my Mum went through a bad patch with her health some years ago, and was referred for an emergency appointment about something. It really scared her and worried her but it turned out to be fine. Keep us updated if you can x