PDA

View Full Version : Me and my health anxiety

southey
15-05-12, 16:53
Hi everyone, been lurking for quite a while and thought I would join and contact others who may have the same issues as I do?

I'm male age 38 and have suffered from anxiety and depression for about 20 years. At first It was just a mild annoyance but I managed OK although I drank quite a bit in my twenties which seemed to help at the time but probably didn't.

About 10 years ago I went into full meltdown out the blue, convinced myself I had an incurable disease and had panics that rendered me incapable of looking after myself. I moved back with my parents who looked after me and also went on 20mg Citalopram for the first time. It was a god send and after an absolute horrid few weeks I felt myself again and stayed on the drugs for 6 months and came off.

All was good for a few years but last year after a nasty cold or flu' the old panic feelings started again and and the utter dread that goes with it when you have convinced yourself you have something bad (different imagined illness this time) wrong with you. Went through the old routine and back on the Citalopram again which yet again sorted me out but this time took it for 3 months-probably not long enough.

This new year I again had a really bad flu' and laid me up most of January. The old health feelings came flooding back (yet another different imagined ailment) and I tried my best to deal with it in combination with group CBT which I found unhelpful and probably would have benefited from a one on one?

Well today is day 9 back on the Citalopram, 10 mg this time and again the break in period has been horrid-not with side affects but with the heightened anxiety and constant negativity. Can't wait until I start feeling normal again-usually from about week 2. Going to stay the course this time and stay on 'em for a year minimum.

Well that is me, wishing you all well.

Steve.

diane07
15-05-12, 16:55
Hi southey

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

EliStarr*
15-05-12, 17:40
Heya, Welcome!

Firstly, when you take antidepressants if they're working you shouldn't just take yourself off of them just because you feel better because they aren't supposed to be used for just a quick fix, antidepressants are used for altering the chemicals in your brains and are used for long term use, if after a few months of taking them you feel better you can then go back to your GP and say that you feel you are ready to come off them now. Maybe if you stick to them and don't just take them as needed it may help you? :)

It's nice to hear you have found a medication that works, i've tried sertraline and fluxotine and neither worked for me, it was like I didn't even swallow the tablet! :doh:

Lol, a CBT group?! Whaaa! How is that supposed to help? It's surely better and easier if its one on one as you stated, because then its just you and the therapist, more straight forward. Maybe you could go to your GP and ask to have one on one CBT? I'm currently on the waiting list for CBT, I have Severe Social Phobia :lac:

Anyway, I hope all works out for you :) :flowers:

southey
15-05-12, 18:03
Hi Diane07 and elistarr,

Yes I see from bitter experience that ssri's may need to be continued a long while. For me they work very well.
Yes the group therapy did not work at all. I could not relate to the examples/exercises they gave and also to the people who did speak up because I think it had nothing to do with health anxiety.

I also have mild social anxiety but I pretty much cope OK and it's just the Health anxiety that causes problems.

Steve.

EliStarr*
15-05-12, 18:55
There is a health anxiety page on here, maybe try posting your situation in there? :flowers: