PDA

View Full Version : tightness in chest

gladyscourt
15-05-12, 18:32
I know im being silly but ive been put back on prozac and the dr has said whilst my body adjusts i may become more anxious. My chest is so tight and it feels like i cannot get a good deep breath, my lips keep going tingly and i begin to panic. Now im no stranger to panic but i just feel i need someone to give me a bit of a slap and say its completely normal as i keep panicing that im going to pass out.... Even tho i kno i wont!!

---------- Post added at 17:32 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

But i do think i may faint or something. Im tryin my hardest to keep telling myself om fine

imissnotworrying
15-05-12, 18:49
I know im being silly but ive been put back on prozac and the dr has said whilst my body adjusts i may become more anxious. My chest is so tight and it feels like i cannot get a good deep breath, my lips keep going tingly and i begin to panic. Now im no stranger to panic but i just feel i need someone to give me a bit of a slap and say its completely normal as i keep panicing that im going to pass out.... Even tho i kno i wont!!

---------- Post added at 17:32 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

But i do think i may faint or something. Im tryin my hardest to keep telling myself om fine

muscle tightness and tingling are both very common with anxiety/stress, i've had both. it can be scary though i agree, just tell yourself 'if i was going to pass out i would have passed out already' because really you would have, but since you're still able to type and you're still conscious etc you're fine Xx

phil21
15-05-12, 19:16
heyy

I get that everyday and its really annoying it feels like i cant breath properly but i just try and take my mind of it i know its hard but its all just part of health anxiety :( keep your chin up

x

gladyscourt
15-05-12, 19:34
Drives me potty, i keep trying to take big breaths so that it feels like my lungs are filling up but nothing. It starts to make my chest hurt and its terrible :(

southey
16-05-12, 12:41
I too get this feeling of not being able to get a full lungful and feel it is due to the anxiety as when I calm down I forget about it and breath fine.

Not sure if the ssri's can cause this breathing issue but I'm on 10mg of Citalopram?

ATB,

Steve.

imissnotworrying
16-05-12, 15:45
i was just thinking that sometimes when i have breathing issues it's because of trapped air lol, i feel a 'blockage' and i can't keep a deep breath but i'll drink a little bit of a fizzy drink to bring it up and my airway will feel much clearer after that. so maybe see if you can get any burps up, as trapped air could be contributing to your unable to breathe feeling, if not then it's plain old anxiety, make sure you avoid caffeine, i get muscle tension in the chest area sometimes and the instant i finish a drink with caffeine in it it comes back :| also try to take breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth, don't have to be deep ones but my aunt recommended the technique to me as apparently it's the best/most calming way to breathe Xx