PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobia & Car In For Work

Jamesflames
16-05-12, 12:21
This morning I took my car to the garage because of a fault light and had to walk home. I was expecting the walk home to be a struggle but I have found that the idea of not having my car outside is making me feel a bit panicky. I don't know how long they will have my car or how much work it requires which is a worry too. :scared15:

I hadn't realised how much I rely on having my car close even when at home. Anyone else get a similar thing?

kittikat
16-05-12, 13:33
Oh my god, I have just seen your post....I could have written that myself...is it something to do with being 'protected and safe' in the car??? I will post more later, at work ATM, so not supposed to be doing this.....:blush: Just sooo interesting......Kitti :)

Jamesflames
16-05-12, 17:07
Yes I do feel that my car is one of my "safe" places. I wasn't expecting to feel so edgy once I got home though. The local Quik Fit is only 10 min walk away so I took it there despite not having much trust in their skills or prices.

Luckily they had it done within about four hours so I have it back now.

I utterly dread it breaking down somewhere. In many ways it is my link to the outside world. Hopefully I can get over these feelings soon.

grotbags
16-05-12, 20:49
I also get those uncomfortable feelings when my car isn't there. I have taken it to the garage and had it worked on before, and it does make me feel very nervous. My car is a safe place for me and it's also a link to the outside world for me!

CameronG
16-05-12, 21:44
I'm the ssame, find it hard to cope when my partners car share friend at work is off n my partner needs the car lol, I live 5 mins from work so like to pop home on my lunch which I can't do when she has the car lol x

kittikat
16-05-12, 22:44
This is all so very interesting.....we have agoraphobia yet we feel 'safe' in our cars...like a lifeline to the outside world. My journey to work is also only 5 minutes in the car, yet when it was being repaired (only a couple of days without it) I felt so trapped...which I kind of am anyway, but so much worse and more 'vulnerable' with no car!! Not that I can go far, but I do have a small 'comfort zone' which is unbearable without the car for protection! I also have the dreadded feeling of what if I break down somewhere :ohmy: I think that's why I cant go too far....that and traffic ugh....always brings the anxiety out.

rb1978
29-05-12, 22:24
Oh god I'm the same. I work about a 40 minite drive away from home and I have a reserved parking space near the office (lots of us do at work - it's great). When my car needs a service or MOT it goes to a garage round the corner, 5 minutes walk from the office. When it's in the garage I always feel ill at work because when it's in the car park it's there ready to escape to. When it's in the garage I'm trapped at work with no escape until the car's released. And I couldn't even go home by taxi or train if I had to cos then the car would be stranded at work. And I can't take the car to a local garage on a day off cos I live in the sticks with no amenities.

I dread snow in winter too because I live in a place that always get snowed on and then, being a wuss, I daren't drive in to work over isolated and exposed roads so I'm on the train...and then I'm really separated from my safe little car.

You can see I've spent waaaay too much time thinking about this. :)